Fishing Gear *Updated w/ Pics!*

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by torrent, Jan 4, 2011.

1. torrent

torrent Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2006
    I just placed a sizable order from Bass Pro of all kinds of tackle and it's on its way here this week.  Last year I was away all summer for trainging and didn't get to cast a single line.  Hopefully this year is going to be much better.  I started thinking this new tackle needs a brand new box to go into since my old one is, well, old.  Storage systems come in a variety of models and I'm thinking about getting one of these:
    http://www.basspro.com/Plano®-7271-Rack-System-Tackle-Box/product/52238/-1008362.  Assuming it's big enough to hold everything, that is.  If not, then this is problably going to be my next pick: http://www.basspro.com/Plano®-7592-Guide-Elite-StowAway-Tackle-Box/product/15900/-576885.

What do you guys think?  Has anybody tried soft pack tackle storage systems?  Are those worth looking into?

2. burley

burley Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Kansas
    Re: Fishing Gear

My oldest son bought a soft tackle system last year and likes it . Don't see it listed on BPS so it might have came from Cabela's  :-/ He had a large Plano box before with lots of compartments but he says the new one is a lot easier to carry and find stuff... His looks like a small backpack and has a carry handle much like the laptop packs I'v seen. I'll ask him what it is.

3. goodbrewing

goodbrewing Active Member

Oct 2, 2008

What type of tackle do you use the most?
    I prefer smaller tackle boxes so I can keep stuff separate and only take what I think I need for the type of fishing I plan to do that day. I use mostly plastic worms and I have a couple diff. types depending on if I am walking or taking the boat out. If I'm walking I have a worm binder like this one http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4076125 It works OK but if I'm going in the boat I have a small hard case for the plastics and another bigger box with lures if I'm planning to troll.

4. Bert

Bert Banned

Mar 4, 2007

I use a soft bag or daypack and boxes like the Plano 3650 or smaller. http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/descpage-P3650.html

You can find these at Walmart

This allows you to pick and choose the tackle for the day, and carry water, snacks, pistol, MP3 player, etc.

B.

5. goodbrewing

Oct 2, 2008

Water is what you cast your bait into. Beer is for drinking while fishing. ;D
    Give a man a fish he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

6. Bert

Bert Banned

Mar 4, 2007

Point conceded. I stand corrected, and stand ready to go fishing when you beckon. :)

B.

Water is what you cast your bait into. Beer is for drinking while fishing.  ;D
    Give a man a fish he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.[/quote]

7. goodbrewing

Oct 2, 2008

If you are ever in or close to Vt. let me know. If the lake isn't covered in ice and time permits I would be happy to show you a few of my not so secret fishing spots. That goes for the rest of you too.

8. eldreda

eldreda New Member

Apr 29, 2010
    Melrose, FL

I have a soft tackle box similar to this http://www.alltackle.com/albakore_tackle_bags.htm and it works great for me. I can switch out different hard cases depending on what baits I wan tot carry along. I used hard boxes for many, many years but i really like this system better.

9. torrent

Dec 18, 2006

I'm still waiting for the big brown box to show up. Then I'll know about what size box to get.

I fish from a kayak, a bank, bike to hard to reach spots, and even backpack to places where fish have never even seen a bait. KY is a great place to live guys. Most of the time I use smaller boxes like described and compartmentalize crank baits, plastic baits, and panfish jigs. There are separate, smaller boes for hooks, sinkers, leaders, and swivels, along with assorted other "small parts" that are sometimes needed. I guess what I'm looking for is one big box to keep everything in and take to the easy spots. You guys know how hard it is to perfect the art of over packing because everything is a necessity.

Mostly what gets the most use are hard and soft plastic baits and top water stuff. Rarely do I ever use a spinner or jig for bass, and don't keep many on hand. A box with a spinner separator isn't necessary for me. What draws me to the soft packs are what you all mentioned, what with being able to pack other things and such. The backpack straps seem like a handy thing to have as it frees up a hand for carrying other things. Has anybody used anything like that?

10. Bert

Bert Banned

Mar 4, 2007

Sure.  That's the whole point about using the small containers with soft bags & daypacks.  You can quickly configure for a day on the bank, boat, or hike-in.  

I have two water resistant daypacks I use, both with broad and comfortable shoulder straps. One pack has a harness that secures around the hiker's chest (like an open to front tactical vest), and the other has a very lightweight integral frame & belt, and... a long collapsing pull handle & wheels (like a roller board for travel).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My default is a a duffle type soft tackle bag set up as a grab & go for boats & bank. One of my favorite things about it is the outside pockets for tools, spools, and spare parts/tackle (basics - hooks, sinkers, floats)

[​IMG]

11. torrent

Dec 18, 2006

I like your style Bert. Backpacks abound in my closets and I never thought of using one of those in conjunction with several smaller boxes. Good idea! :)

12. torrent

Dec 18, 2006
    Well it took some time to research and look around for the right tackle system that had all the qualities I needed but I finally found one. I won't ask for advice from you guys without taking it into consideration, whether I agree with it or not; just wanted everybody who chimed in to know that. Here's the new system I picked up tonight made by Plano, a very trusted name in the fishing world.
    [​IMG]
    The camo pattern is called Fishouflage Bass.
    Dimensions: 18"x10"x10.5"
    Includes four 3750 StowAway Utility boxes.
    Seven pockets.
    Multiple storage front pocket for keys, tools, and such.
    Padded carry handle and shoulder strap that can be arranged for different modes of carry.
    It's heavy duty as all get out and water proof with heavy zippers on the pockets.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And here are a few new baits that I picked up from Bass Pro and WM. I mean a new box needs some new tackle, right? ;)
    [​IMG]
    Now, if somebody can tell me how to get a Berkley spincast reel back together I'm all ears :-/

13. Bert

Bert Banned

Mar 4, 2007
    looks like a winner.

Now when you heading for the water, and what will you be fishing for ?

B.

14. abuck50

abuck50 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2008
    NW Ohio
    Looks good Torrent! That is the kind of system I use for tournament fishing. I just switch out hard boxes according to what kind of lake I am going to fish!

Craig