Fishing anyone - post up some pics and stories

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by burley, Aug 1, 2010.

1. burley

burley Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Kansas
    Lets see your fishing expeditions, yours ,family and friends;

Here is my Dad  and a friend back in the 60s on a stream close to Redstone Co.

[​IMG]

My oldest loves to fish and weather don't stop him

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dad and me by a lake in Ky in  '65 .

[​IMG]

More later, I'll try to find the 'Andy Griffith' pic of dad and me walking down the road coming back from the lake...

2. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Re: Fishing anyone

A limit of speckled trout!  Yea, there were three of us fishing that night and the action was so good that we  limited out and then began to cull our catch, replacing smaller fish with larger ones.  During the course of the night, we were throwing the cast net to catch live shrimp for bait.  After we limited out on fish, we got serious with the cast netting and ended up with several pounds of fresh shrimp too.  You gotta love that.  The next day, my friend's dad make some killer ceviche with the fresh shrimp and deep fried fillets of fresh trout in a wonderful, spicy cornmeal batter.  :cool:

[​IMG]

These trout were caught in the Rio Grande Valley in the Arroyo near Rio Hondo, Outside of Harlingen TX.  The Arroyo is a large brackish waterway that runs out to the Gulf (Laguna Madre) behind S Padre Island.  My friend's camp is a very typical set-up along the gulf coast.  You simply build a pier and mount very powerful flood lights that are pointed out and down on the water.  The lights attract bugs, which attract bait fish, which bring in the action.  This is very civilized, easy fishing - no boat required, and it's all after dark when things have cooled off nicely.  You just pull up a comfortable chair next to the ice chest and wait for them to start biting.  Typically, the main attraction is the trout that come through in periodic schools, but you also catch redfish, and a variety of other stuff.  We use live shrimp when the fishing is slower but when the action heats up, artificials are fine.  On this particular night I caught a monsterish trout that was above the slot limit for that area.  That sucker busted my lure like a stick of dynamite as soon as it touched down on the water.  It's a little too hot for good trout action right now but in September and October, I plan on being there.  :cool:

3. Pwndy

Pwndy Member

Apr 25, 2010

I love saltwater sportfishing. Although I live on a lake here in Louisiana I rarely go fishing here except for in the spring when the bluegill are spawning and I can catch them off the pier.
    Here are a few shots from trips to Mexico.

[​IMG]
    Nice 50lb or so Dorado (in a restaurant they call it "Mahi Mahi")

[​IMG]
    My dad and I holding up a dorado

[​IMG]
    The gang holding up some of the day's catch

[​IMG]
    Me with a nice sailfish. (This was 6 years ago...and yes I know that's a terrible shirt, but I'm color blind so I like it!)

[​IMG]
    Dad and I hooked up to trip striped marlin. We guesstimated their weight to be around 175lbs.

4. burley

burley Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Kansas

That looks fun Pwndy. Thanks for sharing

5. Jdeere562

Jdeere562 Member

Mar 26, 2005

No pics, but a funny story. My little brother is 10 years younger than me. We live on opposite ends of Iowa, so we just see each other a few times per year.

Anyway, we talked and were both going back to our hometown the same weekend. Our parents are still there, Mom just turned 86. We were both driving up Friday, spending the night with our high school buddy's and going fishing Saturday AM. All 4 of us got together Friday night, drank some beers and decided to fish at the same place on Saturday. Then getting together with the parents on Sunday.

We were there at the crack of dawn, 2 boats, 2 people in each at a nice large private pond. About 10 AM, we heard little brother and his friend hooping and hollering. We trolled over there to see what they caught, the fish were biting hard, we were all having good luck! :cool: Little brother caught an 8 1/2 LB bass, we saw them weigh the fish and it was a nice one. He decided to keep it and have it mounted for his wall. As my friend and I were heading out to fish more, I heard little brother's discussion with his buddy. (should we put this big fish on a separate stringer, or on with the other fish?) Well, they chose plan B.

About 1/2 an hour later we hear them cussing up a storm. Little brother was not a happy camper. Stringer broke and his "trophy fish" was gone. Beings the fish were biting good, little brother decided to take pics after we were done fishing, so there went the proof. ;D

As we all had a few beers and cleaned fish later that day, you can imagine the talk that ensued. Ya right, 8 1/2 LBS? Looked like a 3 LB to me... ;)

6. theduke

theduke Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2005
    Warminster Pa

I read this story a few years ago. A guy buys a boat and upon inspecting every nook and cranny finds a coffee mug. Guy thinks this will be a great mug for fishing, he cleans it out and starts using it. One day he was launching his boat and this guy yells to him, Hey thats my old boat, and you found my pee cup.  

[edit]edited for content ;Burley[/edit]

7. burley

burley Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Kansas
    some more pics;

One of my boys on Table Rock on spring break ? 1990?;

[​IMG]

wife's fish , a farm pond lg mouth;

[​IMG]

Daybreak at camp near Jolly Mill, Mo. BSA trip and fishing on a spring fed trout stream;

[​IMG]

a cousin in Mo with a big farm pond blue cat' ;

[​IMG]

8. Blue_Moon

Blue_Moon New Member

Dec 22, 2004
    Love the new Great Outdoors forum!  

My dad, brother, and I have been going to Canada smallmouth fishing for many years now.  This year I took my 13 year old daughter for the first time.  Weather was rough, but I'm proud to say that she outfished me every day!  Here are a few of the memories...

My daughter with her first substantial fish of the trip.  Love the look on her face!
    [​IMG]

She finally hooked a big one!
    [​IMG]

And of course she had some pretty good competition.  This is me with a yellow perch that must have been feeling frisky with my bait...
    [​IMG]

9. abuck50

abuck50 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2008
    NW Ohio
    I finished 2nd in a bass tournament on Lake Erie last Sunday. It was hotter than hell! I thought I would tell you a story about a tournament I was in over 10 year ago.

I was fishing in the BASS State Federation championship. I took my co-angler to a spot and while I was lowering the trolling motor he caught a nice bass. I flipped the live-well pump switch and nothing happened. I dumped my cooler of ice and drinks and used it as a bucket to fill the live well. We put his fish in the well and I started to look for the problem with the pump. While I was looking he caught another bass and then another. I was getting rather frustrated so I grabbed the live well pump with one hand and smacked it with the other. To my horror, it broke off leaving a geyser of water spraying into the boat! I looked to my co-angler and asked him if he wanted the good news or the bad. I then told him that the good news his fish will have plenty of water soon. The bad news is that we are sinking! Lucky I keep an assortment of corks in the boat and was able to stop the leak.

10. gordon11

gordon11 Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2007
    [​IMG]

My son showing off his catch... way back before he was 6ft tall & 200lbs.

11. Rubb

Rubb Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2006
    Fishin..Show’em

Carp and cats are the usual suspects in the evening and after dark.

10lb. carp
    [​IMG]

5 lb. carp  I named him turn tail
    [​IMG]

Nice little 5lb. Cat
    [​IMG]

Got a decent fight outta this 11lb. Cat
    [​IMG]

This one took a little longer to land at 33.5 lbs.
    [​IMG]

12. torrent

torrent Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Re: Fishin..Show’em

Darn good looking fishies you caught there, especially that big honkin' cat fish! That thing probably put up a real good fight didn't it?

13. Re: Fishin..Show’em

Nice catch. Location?

14. Rubb

Rubb Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2006

Yeah, real good fight…bout 30 minutes worth.

Go Bucks...... ;)

15. historybuff

historybuff Active Member

Mar 11, 2009

Those are really nice!! and here I always thought I was some kind of weirdo for enjoying carp fishing.

And thanks for increasing my frustration level >:(

All snow and no fishing make historybuff go something, something,...

16. burley

burley Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Kansas

Who says snow/ice should stop ya  ;D Take a look at the first post in this thread...
    http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1280688682

BTW spliced these similar threads...

17. shottingcouple

shottingcouple New Member

Aug 10, 2007
    From my trip to Alaska a couple weeks ago.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Rubb

Rubb Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2006
    Caught this one last week, 2lb. 4oz.
    [​IMG]
    This was a couple years ago, 1lb. 13oz.
    [​IMG]

19. illogicalmethod

illogicalmethod Active Member

Jun 7, 2005
    I am going to be going fishing next weekend, right after nationals(maybe the Monday following), at my aunt's place in Missouri.

Then we'll be traversing to Ontario, to visit family, where I'll again be going fishing.

Sigh, hopefully I'll have some pictures to post, that consists more of what I catch, than of shore-line or of bald Eagles fishing.

20. Blue_Moon

Blue_Moon New Member

Dec 22, 2004
    My daughter and I just got back from Ontario and our annual smallmouth fishing trip.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]