First trip to the range

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by sr5mike, Dec 27, 2010.

1. sr5mike

sr5mike New Member

Dec 12, 2010
    After having this little gem for a month I finally made time to visit the range. I took a variety of ammo for the occasion. The ammo was American eagle FMJ, Blazer brass FMJ, Remington white and green box FMJ and Aguila JHP. I shot 44 clips and had one FTE and one round that ejected but was pinned between the slide and barrel. Both times my 17 y/o son was shooting and limp wrist may have come into play. We had sent over 500 rnds down range including my SW .40. The FTE was on the 24 clip rnd #3, the rnd that got pinched was clip 29 rnd 4. Total rnds fired was 264. This gun is a handful to shoot but not as bad as I was expecting. My gun seems to shoot low and to the left but very constant. I now have a pocket gun that is very capable of keeping my family and me safe.

2. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    welcome to KTOG...

:eek: That is a lot of shotting there... just need to ask, did you clean and lube during all that shooting. going 20 rounds and mine gets dirty and dry

3. billjohnso20

billjohnso20 Active Member

Dec 7, 2008
    I've put more than 200 through my P3AT in one session and 400 through my PF-9 in one session. In both cases, I never relubed or cleaned the gun until I got it home.

4. sr5mike

sr5mike New Member

Dec 12, 2010
    I did a lite F&B cleaned and lubed prior to the trip. At the range I just shot it w/ no cleaning or oiling.

5. sr5mike

sr5mike New Member

Dec 12, 2010
    I just finished cleaning this little gem and boy was it dirty. It is now filled with JHPs ready to go back in my pocket holster to do its job. Now on to the next order of business the wife wants a Kel Tec and I am looking at the PF-9 she is a small lady so I think the grip will fit her hand better. She looked at the P3AT and said that is cute can I shoot it but I think it is a little to snappy for her. Does anyones wife shoot the PF-9 ?

6. Represent316

Represent316 New Member

Nov 24, 2010
    Only one way to find out if its too snappy. Let her shoot yours!

Another option for her is the P32.

7. sr5mike

sr5mike New Member

Dec 12, 2010
    I think the p32 will be perfect. I will go pick one up...... Thanks!

8. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Welcome to KTOG!

Wow, even for two people that is a whole lot of shooting!

Before getting a P32 you might add grip pads, grip sleeve and finger base plate to your P3AT and then see if your wife can then handle the gun. I had no trouble shooting the P3AT bare but the add ons I just mentioned actually makes it a fun gun for me to shoot.

Continued good luck...

9. sr5mike

sr5mike New Member

Dec 12, 2010
    Thanks Bill If I add that stuff and make it fun for her she may steal it. She aready thinks whats hers is hers and whats ours is hers. She is a beginner and has only shot my 10/22 but did have fun. I think the PF-9 and 500-600 rnds along with gun safety instruction so that she is safe. We camp a lot and I leave her im the 5er while I take the Rott for a run through the woods. I would take the SW .40 with me and leave her with the beagle. Now she wants her own gun. Thanks for the warm Welcome I am glad I found KTOG.

10. 03psd

03psd New Member

Nov 5, 2010
    thats a lot of rounds for one day out a pistol with the ergos of a rough sawn 1x4. dont get me wrong, I love mine but 50 rounds and I am done for the day. The checkering on mine is sharp and would make hamburger out of your hands after 200 rounds unless you have the hands of an lumberjack.

11. sr5mike

sr5mike New Member

Dec 12, 2010
    I cleaned up some of the sharp edges from the plastic molds. I paid a lot of attention to the trigger area and it still needs some more. My trigger finger was sore but not to bad. I wanted to make sure I had it good and broke in and test a few types of ammo. I am very confident in this little pistol now.