First trip to the range!  Love it!!

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by reitman, Nov 20, 2009.

1. reitman

reitman New Member

Oct 30, 2009
    I went to the range for the first time with my P3. I freaking love it. I shot mostly at the 7 yard line and had super tight groups. I shot the first 50 through it and then cleaned it and put 100 more through it. I had 3 FTEs, but that was the Herters ammo I was using. I used PMC for the first 50 and had no problems at all.

I certainly want to paint the sights, but I still was dead on even with the stock sights.

Couple things I did notice.

The Houge grip slid down when I rammed the mag in.

The belt clip screw came loose. Gotta get some locktite on it.

The pin for the belt clip on the side opposite of the belt clip ate my hand up. I'm going to sand it to smooth it out.

There was one spot inside my gun that got kinda dinged up. I tried to take a picture, but they weren't in focus enough but the area is on the frame on the right hand side of where the hammer is. I know it's tough to explain, but there are two thick parts of the rail that are on either side of the hammer. The one on the right is chipped at the inside corner. It almost seems like the casings were hitting it when they were ejected.

Other than that- I love this gun.

I shot my buddies LCP and didn't like it. I was less accurate with it. He shot mine and tried to trade in his LCP after we got done shooting. I put my Hogue grip on his Ruger and it improved performance greatly. However, his slide lock wasn't working either. I think his cleaning skills may have had something to do with that as well. I shot about 40 rounds without the grip on my gun and was still just as accurate.

I'm sold on Kel Tecs. Can't wait to get my hands on my used PF 9.

2. angel71rs

angel71rs Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Re: First trip to the range!  Love it!!

Congrats, sounds like you had a great time, these are fun little pistols aren't they?

I also had the ding mark you mentioned and was told it was from ejecting cases, not an issue, file down or ignore. I went with the bike tube sleeve as an experiment, am happy with it, will leave it on. Thing was tough to get on there, not a mm of movement!

3. james__12345

james__12345 New Member

Dec 7, 2009

I dont like the lcp as much either. The upper part of the grip where your thumb goes is too thin. As far as the grip slipping, some people suggest a couple drops of super glue to hold it in place. Also, the slide lock on the ruger is not a lock back when empty system, its manual only. You have to pull the slide back and push it up your self. The ding is most likely from the cases ejecting. If you haven't read about the fluff and buff yet, you should. Black sharpie covers those dings up well so you can keep up with wear patterns. I'm with you, I find these guns to be suprizingly accurate. Congrats on the new gun. Glad you like it.

4. one_gun

one_gun New Member

Jan 17, 2007

FYI: I see in the first post you said you Rammed the mag. in. That's a no no with a plastic Mag. catch. You need to push the catch in as you insert the Mag. then release it when the Mag. is all the way in. Or you will be replacing the catch very soon. :'(

5. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    !

Glad you're happy with your P3AT.

Houge grip did not work well for me, Agrip (I think it is called) with grip pads have worked much better.

IMHO the P3AT should come with a metal mag catch!! A MIMed catch would be much better and it would not add much, if anything, to the cost of the gun. I have a metal catch on my carry P3AT.

Take care...