First trip to range.

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Cap, Nov 18, 2007.

1. Cap

Cap New Member

Nov 13, 2007
       Took the new girl out to the range this morning,pouring rain, but had to go and try her out before considering for permanent carry.  Shot 85 rounds before I was ready to freeze to death..No problems what soever,accuracy very good as well...Very pleased,so far so good...One thing though noticed that as soon as I got the gun from shop, I had the infamous frame bulge,by the takedown pin...Can I leave it as it is ,should I send back to factory,hit it with hair dryer,or just relax an not worry about it.... Great forum thanks Gents....Cap By the way its the grey hard chromed..

2. artimus_prime

artimus_prime New Member

Nov 18, 2007
    Central FL
    I'm in the same situation as you, except that my takedown pin actually came out at the range today. Slide actually came off frame and downrange.

3. 98_1LE

98_1LE New Member

Dec 29, 2005
    Two seperate issues. My original P3AT has had the frame bulge since new; never caused a problem.

As for the pin walking out, are you sure it was snapped all the way in? I had it walk out on my new pistol, but it was because I had not fully seated it when I cleaned it. The old one would pop in with hand pressure, but I have to use something to press on the new one to get it to snap.

4. artimus_prime

artimus_prime New Member

Nov 18, 2007
    Central FL
    Well, I would press on it usually with my thumb and I couldn't get it to go in any further. My frame also bulged, which is why I posted a reply in this thread in the first place.

5. burley

burley Active Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Kansas
    artimus_prime

My guess is the Assembly Pin Spring ,part # 284 has slipped out of place. This will cause a bulge and pin will not stay in. If this has happened you will need to check to see if there is frame damage. If so it will need to go back to KT.  The most common reason this happens is forcing the Assembly pin out without supporting the grip on each side of the pin. Make sure to place a finger on each side of the pin and press down while removing the pin. This will keep the spring from becoming dislodged.

http://www.1bad69.com/gallery/GunStuff/kel-tec/parts/p-3AT.jpg

http://www.1bad69.com/keltec/assemblypin.htm

You can also get a grip that is warped and you can use a hair drier to fix it.see above link about 1/2 way down

6. artimus_prime

artimus_prime New Member

Nov 18, 2007
    Central FL
    Thanks so much! I have several issues I need to address now. I gotta fix the grip's bowing, notch my pin, and get replacement springs. Does anyone know if grooving the assembly pin will void the warranty on the gun?

7. regrip

regrip New Member

Aug 10, 2007
    My sssembly pin has a grove on it. It is a drop down of about 1/32" and about1/8" long. Mine takes a little pressure to get out. Maybe your pin is not right or the spring is broken. Good Luck. Tom :)

8. artimus_prime

artimus_prime New Member

Nov 18, 2007
    Central FL
    Thanks Tom! I think I'm going to pick up a dremel and groove my pin like the thread recommended. I know, how can I be a gun enthusiast and not own a dremel. Shame on me :-/

9. terrylorch

terrylorch New Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Bought my P3-AT a couple of weeks ago, and finally went to the range yesterday. I'm a revolver person and don't have any experience with an automatic. After reading about FTF and FTE, I didn't know what to expect.

Before I went to the range, I cleaned, greased, and oiled my P3-AT. I fired 100 FMJ cartridges flawlessly. Then I fired 6 Cor-Bon hollow points flawlessly. I'm very pleased.

I found it difficult to aim. The range is inside and not well lit. When I got back home, I installed the Nitesiters. Pleased with that addition.

10. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Congrats Terry. I believe the vast majority of KT owners get days just like yours. Those just aren't the ones we spend hours ad nauseum talking about! Glad you like the nitesiters. And welcome.

-Scott

11. Cap

Cap New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    Hello Terry Welcome.....What are nittesiters?

12. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
  13. Cap

Cap New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    Thanks Pard...Will check them out....

14. artimus_prime

artimus_prime New Member

Nov 18, 2007
    Central FL
    Hey guys! Hope everybody had a great Thankstoberfest!!! ;D Anyways, I talked to the Kel-Tec guys and they're sending me replacement springs for the ones I lost at the range (read above). He also suggested that I make sure the assembly pin spring is seated properly for the assembly pin. Do I need to remove the frame from the grip to do this?

15. jocko

jocko Guest

pm sent.

16. jocko

jocko Guest

CAP

pm sent. easy fix...