Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
125 147 grain FMJ with 45 grains of Varget, Then a mixed batch if 147-149.1 Sportsman's Guide have good prices bu5t QC for their brand of bullets are quite inconstancy. In all we shot more tan 200 rounds. But it really gave my RFB an very good test. nNot one failure, accuracy was excellent

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The range we pretty full and there were more than a few of the fellas in full camo with the AR's with the Muzzle breaks and their Glocks in those tac holsters. Seems these fellas like to get right next to you when you're shooting a 10/22, pistol or some other inferior fire arm. I kept the RFB and the AR10 in the Jeep until we got warmed up with the fun stuff. They tended to slide down the range when I broke out the RFB and my son broke out his AR10 with a break. Then just for good measure I sent about 15 45/70s out of my guide gun down range at some bowling ball size rocks to turn them into golf ball size rocks. Had a grand time and left with more brass than I came with.
I did the same experiment with the RFB and the 165s were impressive. Didn't have to do any adjustments with powder variances but did have to resort to a few clicks when moving up to the 220 grain bear loads. The 150 and 165 don't require any adjustment though. Accuracy is much better than I expected. This is one heck of a rifle. Even my son is warming up to it.
I am very happy this one fell in my lap. Now to get back to swapping Lever guns.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Running 250 rounds of varying weights, powder charges and powder. Rapid fire, 3 full mags in a row as quickly and accurately as possible on 40 clay birds over a 5 x 15 yard area, from 50 yards. Then slow control fire on small bits of clay birds scattered over the same 5x15 yard area. A series of rested accuracy on limes and the generally most comfortable carry position. Removal of the scope and re attaching to make certain the quick release holds zero. Before I trust it completely I'm going tom run it through one more run like this with scope #2 a 3 to 4x 12 to 16x, not sure what power but I do know I will use the same mount.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Those captive pins really really make life easy on the RFB. Just remember that firing pin is under a lot of spring pressure because I spent a merry old time looking for mine. Once.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Those captive pins really really make life easy on the RFB. Just remember that firing pin is under a lot of spring pressure because I spent a merry old time looking for mine. Once.
heheh yeah you gotta be careful with that thing, I almost shattered a computer monitor with it. Good thing it only hit the outer bracket.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I got 250, 115 grain JHPs with Varget pushing them to try next. Hoping they crono around 2850.
Woody, just curious. Why the 115g bullets in your RFB? Don't take that wrong...not questioning your option...just wondering since it's a little different for a .308. What brand/model bullet is that? My Sierra manual even shows a 100g for possible .308 use, just never saw a load that low. Interesting.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Reduced recoil load? Just guessin' but you should be able to get a 115gr to 3000fps
Oh, I definitely agree you can achieve scorching speed with a light .308 bullet. My Speer manual on that 100g bullet shows a top speed of 3345 fps. My concern would be what accuracy might be like with that setup.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Found them cheap on Palmetto Armory, looked them up in the manual and there was nothing there for 115 but the load data for 110 and 125 are nearly identical and the velocities are very close to 223 out of a 16 to 18" barrel. I figured why not, if a 223 is a very effective round with a 55 grain bullet one twice the weight at the same speed could be one great bullet. I'd much rather have my RFB in a self defense situation in my home than a shot gun loaded with these bullets. The weight of the gun the recoil would be very manageable, I'll wager you could bet 5 of these off before you could get 2, 12 ga in a pump gun with much greater accuracy. As easily shouldered as the RFB is, with 3x as many rounds and utterly deafening 308. Factor at these vols over penetration probably won't be a issue in a cinder block house this rifle and bullet weight could be the best home defense weapon you could reach for if your door gets kicked in by un invited guests. These will make great varmint rounds too since I have them 1 full grain under max. As stated 2850 will be plenty and the bullets are the same length as the 150 Serria Game Kings I'll be using for hunting, I don't see a accuracy issue.
I made a mistake on the powder it's IMI 3031, the fella who owns our LGS where I bought it (who after seeing my Burris on it when I picked it up ordered himself one) helped me out with the powder. If you go by the Lee Manual and use Varget you'll crush the end of the bullet before you can seat it to fit the mags. All of the lead in these is the bottom half, the top is just thick copper jacket.
For varmiting or If I'm going to be hunting open country and after a little research I picked up one of BPS new Oclus 4x16 side focusing scopes and will use a quick disconnect mount on it too. It's a good inch shorter than the Redfield or Leupold that make it ideal for this short rifle. It also has a lifetime warranty backed by BPS. Hopefully I'll never have to use it.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I've seen spanish military surplus 110gr, came linked so obviously a reduced recoil load intended for machine guns. With the velocity you should be able to achieve would make a pretty good varmint load too as I bet it shoots flat as a laser to 200yards or so

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.