Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, thanks to the folks on this site for providing solid information regarding the KT line. I bought my P3-AT a few weeks ago and made my first trip to the range yesterday. I wanted to set a baseline of the standard, stock gun, so all I did prior to the range was disassemble, lube & reassemble. The good news is that it only took me 15 minutes to complete the extractor jigsaw puzzle while cleaning before shooting!

1. Shot 50 rounds (ouch) of Winchester White Box 95g, FMJ.
2. I was only loading 4 rounds at a time in the magazine. Will go up to 5 on the next session.
3. The little guy had zero misfires and zero FTEs.
4. Each time I retracted the slide to place a load in the chamber, it took two attempts. The first try seemed to hang up, but retracting and releasing it a second time successfully loaded the chamber.
5. I was pretty pleased and assume (?) that accuracy will improve as I get more familiar with the gun.
6. My next steps will be to (a) do a little 1000 grit sandpapering, even though I didn't really have any major issues, and (b) put on an Uncle Mikes grip cover to give my hand a break.
7. Not sure what I need to do to get used to that trigger pull. Holy Cow - the first time I shot it, I ran out of finger before anything went BOOM and had to reset my finger. I understand the safety aspects of long hard trigger pull on a pocket pistol, but it may be difficult to really get comfortable with it. Another range session is definitely in order after the grip cover is installed.

Bottom line: So far, so good. Another successful session (or two) at the range and I hope the little fella will be a constant concealed carry companion. Remember the First Rule of a Gun Fight: Have a gun!

Hope you all have a safe and happy New Year's! Regards --NN.

·
Banned
7,638 Posts
Hi, neilnoff! Welcome to KTOG. You seem to have your head on straight. Everything you describe is normal for a new P3AT. I only have 2 observations:

1. I assume that the jigsaw puzzle is the EJECTOR, not the extractor.

2. Go and borrow or rent a P-11. Shoot that and you'll think somebody did a trigger lightening job on your P3.

Packer.

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
Sounds good. Clean, lube, shoot, repeat. 8)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep - you're right...the "ejector" was the fun piece. The great thing about reading the numerous forum postings in advance was that there were no surprises; all conditions were expected. Thanks--NN

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
Oops... Sorry I hit modify instead of quote and killed your post which was...
I still don't understand the jigsaw extractor/ejector part? Can anybody explain the a commoner?
The ejector sits in a slot on the left rear side of the frame rail. When the slide is removed, it canfall out and they tend to get lost. Reinserting them is akin to putting in a puzzle piece as they only fit one way and sometimes it takes a minute or two. :-/

·
Banned
7,638 Posts
TxCajun said:
Oops...  Sorry I hit modify instead of quote and killed your post which was...

The ejector sits in a slot on the left rear side of the frame rail.  When the slide is removed, it canfall out and they tend to get lost.  Reinserting them is akin to putting in a puzzle piece as they only fit one way and sometimes it takes a minute or two.   :-/
With great power comes great responsibility. ;D

Packer.

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
I'm frankly surprised I don't do it more often. On my screen, those buttons are right next to each other and they look just alike except for the labels. Usually when I accidentally hit the modify button, I notice the absence of quotation code. Usually, that is... :-/

·
Registered
297 Posts
I always thought that little part was there to make certain that owners had a bit of reverence and respect for the gun ;)

I really had no idea what it's function was. I am just happy that i have not managed to lose it.

Sorry to highjack the post :-X

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.