First Time With My P3 At The Range

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Polygon, Jun 17, 2010.

1. Polygon

Polygon New Member

May 28, 2010
    Since my CCP finally showed up in the mail I thought I should get familiar with my P3 before I started carrying it. Not sure why but I've never fired it since I bought it, until now.

I was shooting using some reloads, 100 grain FMJ. I shot off 100 rounds of it with only one jam on ejection caused by a limp wrist. My shooting wasn't consistent as the gun is hard to control. After the first two magazines I decided to put on the mag extensions and my grouping got much better. I did dry fire it a few times forgetting that I had fired off the last round. I'm hoping I haven't damaged the gun. I guess I'll see when I get it apart to clean it for the first time.

I now have a Pachmayr grip on it and hope that will improve control a little more. Overall, I'm very impressed with the gun. Worked flawlessly and I was concerned having read about how it's been hit or miss for some people. This is an awesome gun and will be perfect once I start carrying it. Another plus is that the range also had some Hornaday Critical Defense which I've been trying to find forever, plus they had a ton of range ammo as well.

Here's a shot of my first target. The worse groupings were before I put the mag extensions on. This is from 35 feet, or 11 and 1/2 yards. Yes, that one in the yellow spot was intentional. I'm satisfied being my first outing with the gun. I can't wait to go back and do a little better.

[​IMG]

2. kev74

kev74 New Member

Jun 10, 2010

3. Agent-Adam

Agent-Adam New Member

May 19, 2010
    The TN range reloads they have around here seemed excessively hot compared to everything i have shot and went all over the place. I was amazed how tight WWB with the flat nose grouped. I lucked up and found 3 100rnd value packs at walmart for 24.99 each. Took a month searching 4 different walmarts to find another 50 box of remington. They shot pretty decent also.

4. diamond

diamond New Member

Jan 18, 2010
    At 12 yards, that looks great. That little gun will keep you and your family safe should you need to call upon it. Hopefully, that day never comes.

I've found the 100round value packs at Wally World too. Best deal around. Almost priced like 9mm. :cool:

5. Polygon

Polygon New Member

May 28, 2010
    Thanks. :)

Yeah, I had been thinking that maybe 100 grain was a tad too hot. So, I'm going to grab a couple of boxed of the range ammo they have there next time I go which is only 90 grain and give it a try. The reloads that I bought were super cheap, only $18 for 50 rounds. However, at the range they told that they use to sell that brand until it damaged more than a few customers guns.

I guess I know why it's so cheap now. But the stuff that they have aren't reloads and it's only $22 for 50 rounds.

6. diamond

diamond New Member

Jan 18, 2010
    The bad thing about reloads is that there is no standard for pressure. You get whatever the maker made. His standards of pressure may differ from a regular manufacturer.

I know there are guys on this board that reload. That's great. They know how they loaded their ammo. But when you buy reloads, who knows. :-?

7. haugrdr

haugrdr Super Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Jan 4, 2008
    Daytona Beach
    Uh...you do know that 100 grain or 90 grain means bullet weight and not amount of powder, right?

8. diamond

diamond New Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Uh...you do know that 100 grain or 90 grain means bullet weight and not amount of powder, right?[/quote]
    I was going to mention something like that too.

A heavier 100gr bullet does not necessarily kick more than a lighter 90gr one. It's all about the amount of powder put in the case and I think the kind of powder. But I'm no reloader or ammunitions expert.

9. Polygon

Polygon New Member

May 28, 2010
    Uh...you do know that 100 grain or 90 grain means bullet weight and not amount of powder, right?[/quote]

Hahaha! I guess I do now.

10. haugrdr

haugrdr Super Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Jan 4, 2008
    Daytona Beach
  11. Nice shooting.

Some of the  good reliable reloading tables will list pressures, and IMHO, a decent re loader will list his recipe on the box of re loads.

12. diamond

diamond New Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Heh, when I bought my S&W Model 66 .357mag years ago, the guy handed me a plastic sandwich bag with 50 rounds of reloads. ;D I guess his "recipe" was mayonnaise and relish. ;)