Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my new P3AT (2nd generation) to the range today for the first time. Before shooting it, I had field stripped the pistol and cleaned and lubed it. I use FP10 gun oil and Slide Glide Lite in sparing amounts to lube the pistol. I did not feel any burrs from the manufacturing process, so I did not perform any polishing or buffing.

When inserting a fresh magazine, I have to help the slide forward to chamber the first round. Just pulling the slide back and releasing won’t do it. That may change as the pistol loosens up, but it is hardly a bother.

I fired 50 rounds of American Eagle (Federal) 95 grain FMJ, then 50 rounds of Winchester 95 grain FMJ, and finally 20 rounds of Winchester Supreme SXT 95 grain JHP. That last one has “Personal Protection” on the box.

Zero failures to feed, fire or extract on these 120 rounds.

I had painted the front sight yellow which helped a bit to see the tiny sights. At 21 feet I could easily put them all in the 10 ring shooting slowly on a silhouette target but really had to concentrate to get a good sight picture. Rapid fire, the groups opened up into the 9 and 8 rings. Next time I go, I’ll try shooting at 25 yards. I think the pistol is surprisingly accurate, the tiny sights are what would preclude any long distance accuracy for me.

I had installed the grip pads and rubber grip sleeve from here http://www.aglaser.com/grips/index.html before shooting for the first time so I can’t give a before and after comparison but I think they were effective. The pistol was not punishing to shoot, but did give more of a sting to the hand than the same number of rounds do from my .45’s.

This gun is definitely a keeper!

George

G

·
gspam1, u are stretching it at 25 yards. Why even???Get deadly at 10 yards and under, u don't have problems at 25 yards. 120 flawless rounds is absolutely super. These little guns are working perfect. Darn near all reports lately hve been like yours. ":Shoot it like u stole it"

·
Premium Member
17,775 Posts
+1 with jocko. This is a 20 - 25' gun. By trying to make it work at 25 yds, you're taking it out of it's effective envelope. It's nice to know you can hit at 25 yds, but at that point you're better off seeking cover, and hoping the threat ceases or comes into point and shoot range.

;)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Glad to hear you liked it. I have had my 2nd gen for a little over a month. Went on a fishing trip the day after I bought it and pulled it right out of the little black bag. No prep at all. Put about 100 rounds through it. Could not hit much of anything. Learned to let the slide pop back when it stuck on me a couple of times. Went again a week ago. Much better. Shooting at empty 22 cartridges at about 20 feet on a stump and 20 Ga. shells stuck in the dirt. Got to the point to hitting both very consistently. Love it! And just for the record, I am no handgun/shooting expert. This little gun is just great! :D

·
Registered
42 Posts
justdave said:
Gonna spend some time at the range soon. Anyone recommend some cheap range ammo to get some practice in?
winchester whitebox or remington hollowpoint bulk packs.

I use a mix of about 75% FMJ to 25% HP in my carry guns. FMJ is cheaper, HP to make sure it's going to feed my carry loads. I also can't afford to blast thru boxes of hyrdashoks/quickshoks or whatever the highspeed choice of the day is in practice. A few rounds here and there for recoil purposes, bust thats it.

Also on the P11 (and when I get my psat) I don't bother with hot loads. regular old jacketed hollowpoints will IMO do just fine. If I'm down to having to use the backup gun, I'll probably want better control than a couple hundred extra FPS on the bullet. Thats my thoughts anyway.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.