First time poster here with a question for kel-tec

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by mattinky, Jan 27, 2010.

1. mattinky

mattinky New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    I will be purchasing either a p3at or p9 in the next week or so. I can get the little 380 for $269 and the 9mm for $256 with an extra magazine locally. Tough choice for me, like the small foot print of 380, but have been told the 9mm ammo is alot cheaper and easier to come by. I would like some input from kel-tec owners. I know both guns are great but just want to get most gun for money.

Thanks,
    Matt

2. YooperP3at

YooperP3at New Member

Oct 12, 2008
    Re: First time poster here with a question for kel

I have both the P3at and the Pf9. I started out with the P3at and then purchased the Pf9 after a year.
    Here in Upper Michigan, .380 is harder to find than the 9mm. Also $21.00(.380) & $14.00(9mm) So the 9mm is a little cheaper here and a little easier to find.

I carry the P3at almost everyday in the Desantis front pocket holster. Hardly know its there. The Pf9 doesnt get carried much....more of my headboard gun. I got a Blackhawk belt slide holster for the Pf9. It rides high and tight to the body. I just enjoy the small .380 more for carrying.

Too bad you can't shoot them both before decieding.
    After having both now....I'd take the .380 over the 9mm.
    Only because i'm able to carry it all the time without worrying about someone seeing it.
    Critical defense carried in both guns.
    Everyone will have different reasons for carrying what they do.

3. lop

lop Well-Known Member

May 20, 2008

Welcome Matt,
    Lots of good info here. You really can't go wrong with either. What do you want to do with this or have this do for you? Yeah, you can get 9mm ball for $.20 a round, and I just paid $.40 for .380's and was glad to find them. We are in a temporary ammo crunch, but even after that is over, the 380's are more. The 9mm have about twice the power as .380's. Are you a big guy? Can you hide a P9 on your person? I have the p3 that is always in the back pocket, and I carry the 9mm in a full size gun. I like the longer barrel to get more out of the 9, and the p3 covers the first rule of gun fights (have a gun). Do you have other guns? Other hand guns? A CCW permit?

4. autobahn

autobahn New Member

Oct 25, 2009

The decision for me came when more than one person told me that you can not pocket carry a PF-9 very easily. I bought the P3AT and carry it everyday. Simple to carry. I use the belt clip and I love it.

5. mattinky

mattinky New Member

Jan 27, 2010

I appreciate the input. I have a ccdw permit and this gun will be my gun used for carry and protection. The gun dealor really pused the 9mm since it is cheaper to shoot and more reliable and cheaper price. The p3at is more of the idea gun to conceal and i would probaly carry more due to its size. I did not know if there is a holster for the pf9 that would conceal around waist or not. I am average size 5'10 190 lbs so i am leaning more towards the 380 even though ammo is higher. Does the $269 sound reasonable for the black model? Its the only model p3at gun i can find in my area and its at a small gun shop.

Thanks for your valuable input.
    Matt

6. james__12345

james__12345 New Member

Dec 7, 2009

I personally would have to agree with a quote i see in a signature here on the site. First rule of a gun fight is dont be there.

On a more serious note, the ammo situation is the same here. 380 is alot harder to come by, and more expensive.

I've never got to handle a PF9, but I have shot a few P11's, which is basically the same footprint just thicker through the grips as i understand it. Personally I could see it being pretty comfortable IWB gun, but I feel it would be a little large for pocket carry in a front pocket, maybe ok for back.

I carry a P3AT, usually in a waist band holster but sometimes in a pocket holster, and I LOVE it. I feel the most important aspect of picking a carry gun is reliablity, second to that the most important thing in my opinion is getting a gun that will be comfortable enough that you will ALWAYS carry it (when legal of course). The 380 disappears basically anywhere you carry it. I would suggest that you post this question in PF9 section too though, and get their opinion on it. They may have some input on the discussion those of us with out a PF9 cant give.

7. David_S

David_S New Member

Dec 7, 2009

If the main purpose is for CC I would see which you can CC the best. I have the P3AT and it can be carried at all times if desired.  I have a Glock 17 so I didn't even consider a kel-tec 9mm so I can't comment on that one. Personally  I wouldn't worry about ammo prices too much. For me the P3AT isn't a gun I'll be shooting 100 rounds through every weekend. I shoot enough to keep comfy with the gun and grab a box of ammo here and there when I see it on the shelf. I'm not sure how the 9mm can be more reliable than my P3AT. I have shot 5 brands of ammo so far and the only hiccup I remember was a ftfire but it was a 1st round out of the mag and I'm pretty sure I kinda help the slide forward so it didn't seat fully.

8. diamond

diamond New Member

Jan 18, 2010

If you think you might not carry the PF9 all the time, which you stated above, then don't get it. Get the P3AT.

Also, trigger time is trigger time. Get a .22 pistol and shoot it a lot. Shoot your .380 often, but everyone needs trigger time and a .22 is a very cheap way to get it. You will pay for a new .22 pistol in no time with the cost difference in ammo.

9. torrent

torrent Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2006

It's good to see another fellow Kentuckian on here :). My advice is go with the gun that best fits your body size. I own a P3AT and have owned a PF9, but sold it. The bigger of the two is not so much a pocket gun if that's what you're going for. The P3AT is better for that. Both guns disappear well when carried IWB and both are easy to shoot. Keep a check on the Local section of the board because we meet here in KY about four times a year and it would be great if you could join us.

10. doubloon

doubloon New Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Houston-ish, TX

Most gun for the money? Two ways to cut it IMO.

The PF9 is going to be more gun in terms of firepower and the P3AT is going to be more gun in terms of concealability.

I think either one is enough gun for it's intended purpose but I think neither is a "do-all" type of gun.

Personally I end up carrying the P3AT everywhere I go, it's as easy to pick up and conceal as my car keys or my wallet, holster or not, and works well for me when OWB or IWB is not an option.

When OWB and/or IWB is an option I usually pick up something bigger like the PF9 or one of the Sigs laying around the house but the P3AT is almost always there as well. I'd just as soon leave the house without the P3AT as I would without my wallet.

11. Dreadnought

Dreadnought New Member

Jul 23, 2007

+1 and QFT!

12. YooperP3at

YooperP3at New Member

Oct 12, 2008

just another quick note:
    you can always get carry rounds online from somewhere like Cabelas.
    I've ordered online several times for rounds that i cant find in the stores.
    I just ordered more Critical Defense from cabelas. It was backordered 2-3 weeks.
    I've done it before and their pretty close with their times on backorders.

Waiting a few weeks isn't too bad for .380 rounds. I usually order a few boxes of fmj's at the same time.

A gun left in the safe or left in the car is no good to you when you need it. Get the one you can carry all the time.

13. phoenixtexoma

phoenixtexoma Banned

Sep 12, 2008

Speaking as the owner of several 1911s, the P3AT is ideal for carrying. especially when I solo ride on a motorcycle out in the wilds of Texas. It has saved my bacon twice in 18 months (no shots fired). With the Kimber UC, I couldn't leave it in the bike's saddlebags when I parked to go somewhere. When people see you take it out and holster it, you get the evil fish-eye around people even though you explain that you have a CCW permit. The P3AT just disappears into a pocket, out of sight and out of mind. My two serious incidents involved a confrontational distance of no more than 6-8 feet away from my nose. Regarding power, a .380 round square in the chest or head will totally ruin an aggressive criminal's day no matter what his physical size. I thought my situation would be the P3AT for the bike and the Kimber for the car, but it's turned out to be the P3AT all the time. My 2 cents' worth.

14. YSOCREUS

YSOCREUS Guest

Oct 28, 2009

Your sidearm should be "comforting", not "comfortable"! To constantly know it's with you. Do not get so comfortable with a firearm as to forget...even for an instant, that it is there. In that comfortable instant, wondering what to do, you'll probably start to bleed. Concealed Carry laws are for the squeamish, those who rather believe we are all subjects rather than citizens. They are put-off by the very thought of you carring a gun and react accordingly. Our SYSTEM then requires us not to put them off, but instead pretend we are not armed. If you choose to carry a P3AT in your front pocket, be sure, by practicing, you can draw said weapon controllably within a second. If not,... ITWB is would be the place for it... ot out side...dressing accordingly. But do not limit yourself to "almost" because of "comfort". I NEVER WANT TO "ALMOST" MAKE IT HOME.

15. Dreadnought

Dreadnought New Member

Jul 23, 2007

I respect Clint Smith's opinions (the person who coined that phrase), but they are just that - his opinions.

You only ever think of your firearm? In my estimation, a purpose of the firearm is to allow you to feel more capable of responding to a violent threat. This should not - in my opinion - mean that all you think of every instant is your gun. If anything, it should allow you to NOT be as constantly concerned about how you would respond to violent threat and as a result you should eventually not be constantly aware of the firearm. In my opinion.

Wow! And the Academy Award goes to... LOL :)

The important word in that sentence is "law". A Citizen is one who adheres to the law and a Citizen is subject to the law. Not a "subject" to the Government, but subject to the law. VERY big difference. And average people are not "put off" by me carrying a gun, they have been educated (mis-educated, IMHO) to see a firearm in a normal, urban setting as "unusual", by the media (news, Hollywood, etc.). The result can be that an unarmed Citizen is alarmed at the sight of a legally-armed Citizen. This is a reason behind States allowing the legal carrying of a firearm but requiring that it be concealed. Additionally, some confrontations are initiated when harsh words are being exchanged and a firearm is visible as the other party may view the sight of the firearm as an implied threat (think "sabre-rattling")

I agree with your admonition to practice. This is obviously true whether you pocket carry or holster your weapon IWB or OWB. The "within one second" is an achievable and commendable result, but one should not feel that they should not bother carrying a firearm if their level of dexterity does not afford them the ability to present their weapon that quickly.

Not sure what you mean by your repeated use of "almost" here?

I appreciate your input. Please do not take my commentary as criticism.

16. uncledub

uncledub Member Supporter

Feb 16, 2009
    Alabama, USA

I own a P3At and a PF9.  I am the same size as you.  The .380 is always in my front pocket.  If I am dressed appropriately, I might carry the PF9 and it rides in the truck at all times when I am not carrying it.  I carry the PF in a tuckable IWB holster and it hides very well.  I believe too large to pocket carry with the type pants that I favor.  The .380 is much simpler to carry for me, so I carry it.  Personal preference is my reason.

17. YSOCREUS

YSOCREUS Guest

Oct 28, 2009

While some say "put off"and others say "alarmed", is in part makes this country great. "Almost" is a word or term which implies a failure to come to a conclusion or complete an action.

18. mattinky

mattinky New Member

Jan 27, 2010

I ended up buying the P-11, it ended up being cheaper and I liked the idea of using 9mm ammo.
    Thank you to everyone for their input. If this gun turns out to be a good gun i will probaly get a kt 380 for the car.

Matt

19. diamond

diamond New Member

Jan 18, 2010

Welcome to the club. :)