First Time Owner

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Xenocide, Apr 26, 2010.

1. Xenocide

Xenocide New Member

Apr 26, 2010
    Just picked up a new P3AT for $260 out the door! Haven't even shot it yet, can't wait to put a few rounds through it then do the fluff 'n buff.

[​IMG]

2. angel71rs

angel71rs Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Congrats!

I didn't try to fire mine before a f&b; when hand cycling rounds thru it, they kept getting stuck trying to slide up the feed ramp. Don't know if it would have done it when actually firing it, but didn't want to risk a negative 1st experience with it at the range.

Anyway, post up how it does when you take it out for a spin.

3. Xenocide

Xenocide New Member

Apr 26, 2010
    I was planning on running about 100 rounds through and then compare to my buddies with 400+ rounds through it. We plan on tearing his apart after we go to the range and do the F&B at the same time. I may cycle a few times by hand, take some pictures as well before I fire it.

4. FLTF3

FLTF3 New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Tampa Bay Area, FL
    Welcome aboard and congrats on the purchase. Not a bad price at all considering the .380 market is still hopping these days. It's a great little pistol, and I think you are going to love it.

Personally, I would run a few hundred rounds of target ammo through it to break it in (including running all your mags), followed by a few clips of carry ammo before doing any work on it, unless you just have a ton of issues the first day out...in which case I would call Kel-Tec for service. If there are any fine tuning issues after the break-in, then you can zero in on the fluff-n-buff tutorials you need to adjust what needs adjusting. Pretty much all the pocket .380s on the market are prone to some sort of issue out of the box, but most will go away during the break-in period. That's something I think a lot of people fail to do, and I can "somewhat" understand the rationale given the cost of .380 ammo today. The problem is that not only does that leave you with a defensive tool likely to have issues, you also miss out on arguably the most important aspect...time to familiarize yourself with the feel and operation of the pistol, and how to handle issues when they occur (and Murphy's Law says they will). The time you need to use it isn't the time to figure out what the problems are and how to fix them quickly.

That's just my 2¢ on the issue

5. Jag351

Jag351 New Member

Feb 10, 2005
    I never had to do any thing to mine to get it to shoot. Some buddies and I took it o few times and fired 200+ through it (This was all a few years ago when you could just waltz in any given store and get a box of 380 FMJ for well less then a $10 spot, tax and all.) It only had a bit of trouble right at first. It would stovepipe some but the main problem was that the magazines would shoot out as soon as you pulled the trigger. I called and Kel-Tec sent me a new magazine release button and spring, insttaled it, finished the break in, and it has never had a problem since. No Fluff and Buff Required.

6. oldgranpa

oldgranpa New Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Xenocide, great price!! Congrats. Shoot it first, then just clean it good. You may not have to do any F&B.

Remember the old proverb..."If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

og

7. tonybroy

tonybroy New Member

Apr 27, 2010
    Antioch, TN
    Welcome to KTOG and congrats on you new purchase! I'm new and really enjong things here and learnig a lot!

8. sviking

sviking Banned

Apr 30, 2010
    Save your money, range time and potential frustration. "Run a 100 rounds" through it by hand cycling snap caps to smooth it out. Rack the slide as fast as you can. When those cycle well, you can pretty much be assured it will run well at the range.

9. Picatinny_Pete

Picatinny_Pete New Member

Sep 2, 2009
    Save your money, range time and potential frustration.  "Run a 100 rounds" through it by hand cycling snap caps to smooth it out.  Rack the slide as fast as you can.  When those cycle well, you can pretty much be assured it will run well at the range.[/quote]

Hi,

Don't scrimp on the break-in of your pistol.  The range time is also for you to get used to the pistol and find out any problems it may have with your chosen ammo. Hand cycling is OK but your hand is not going to cycle the slide at anywhere near the velocity of a 380 Auto round.  The break in will also tell you where your pistol is hitting too.   This is my opinion, but I'm sure that it'll be seconded.

Best Wishes:

10. sviking

sviking Banned

Apr 30, 2010
    Save your money, range time and potential frustration.  "Run a 100 rounds" through it by hand cycling snap caps to smooth it out.  Rack the slide as fast as you can.  When those cycle well, you can pretty much be assured it will run well at the range.[/quote]

Hi,

Don't scrimp on the break-in of your pistol.  The range time is also for you to get used to the pistol and find out any problems it may have with your chosen ammo. Hand cycling is OK but your hand is not going to cycle the slide at anywhere near the velocity of a 380 Auto round.  The break in will also tell you where your pistol is hitting too.   This is my opinion, but I'm sure that it'll be seconded.

Best Wishes:[/quote]

I never said to "scrimp" on break in. Just to do the hand cycling as fast as you can with snap caps BEFORE hitting the range to smooth things out and make the first time actually shooting more enjoyable.

11. darts

darts New Member

May 2, 2010
    Nice pickup there, op.

I'm going to pickup my P-3AT next weekend.

12. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Welcome to KTOG!

Once you've proven, to your satisfaction, the reliability of your P3AT - if you can do so legally - CARRY IT!!!!! That P3AT of yours could very well save you someday from serious bodily harm or loss of life.

Take care...

13. ljhooley

ljhooley New Member

Mar 10, 2009
    $260 IS A GREAT PRICE!!

I have seen many dealers even at the gun show selling them for $325 and up.
    Good Buy!

larry

14. Xenocide

Xenocide New Member

Apr 26, 2010
    finally got a chance to shoot it, I was very impressed. Ran 100 rounds of PMC Bronze 90gr through it with not a single issue.