Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Finally got a chance to take my RFB out for a trial. I was so excited, I forgot to put just one cartridge in the magazine and loaded it with 20 rounds of Fiocchi 147gr. I started out at B+30 just to be safe. Loaded the magazine, racked one in, aim, off safe, fire. It fired and loaded the next round. Fired again and it loaded the next round. Remembered that I was supposed to load only 1 round in the magazine. Went safe, removed the magazine and unloaded it. Reinstalled the magazine, aim, off safe, fire. Did not lock back. Down to B+28. Loaded one in the magazine. Load and fire. Did not lock back. Repeat at B+26 and it locked back. Loaded the magazine and tried a few rounds. Got a jam with the bolt carrier stuck about 3/4 of the way forward. Had to disassemble the gun to release it. Found a cartridge stuck in the extractors, just into the ejection chute. Got the cartridge loose, reassembled the gun, and went to B+25. Fired a couple rounds and got a double feed jam. Removed the magazine, racked it, and two rounds fell out, one of them bent very badly. Went to B+24. Fired a few rounds and "click". Failed to pick up a round. Went to B+23. A few more rounds and another failure to pick up a round. Went to B+22. A few rounds and a failure to pick up a round. Went to B+21 and finished the magazine with no problems.
Very nice shooting. The recoil at B+21 was a little more than my 5.56 but much less than my lever action 30-30.
I think I am going to like my RFB very much.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
As you close the adjuster vent cap, you are applying MORE gas to the piston. You only want it closed 2 clicks beyond the point where it just FAILS to lock open. the action only has 1/2" of travel beyond the bolt stop before it starts to impact the rear structure. This will interfere with the action and can cause jams, makes it recoil harder and may ultimatly cause structural failure from the hammering... this describes it better:

[ame]http://youtube.com/watch?v=5eD_C8J8Fkc[/ame]

Check your extractors. If they were not operating smoothly this can cause issues as discussed recently here...
http://www.thektog.org/forum/f91/what-did-i-do-wrong-rfb-jam-259944/

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As you close the adjuster vent cap, you are applying MORE gas to the piston. You only want it closed 2 clicks beyond the point where it just FAILS to lock open. the action only has 1/2" of travel beyond the bolt stop before it starts to impact the rear structure. This will interfere with the action and can cause jams, makes it recoil harder and may ultimatly cause structural failure from the hammering... this describes it better:

Check your extractors. If they were not operating smoothly this can cause issues as discussed recently here...
http://www.thektog.org/forum/f91/what-did-i-do-wrong-rfb-jam-259944/
Thanks for the reply. I convinced myself that each failure was due to it being undergassed which is why I kept closing the vent. The extractor jam occurred at B+26, just 1 or 0 below lock-back (no lock back at B+28). I assumed it jammed because there was insufficient energy to complete the cartridge removal from the extractors. I tested the function of the extractors during initial disassembly / cleaning / lubrication after purchase (I wanted to understand how the ejection system works - pretty ingenious) and they functioned just as they were supposed to although they do grip the cartridge extremely firmly and it takes a good bit of force to remove a captive cartridge. I was also under the impression that a double feed jam was usually caused by an undergassed condition. Not sure what caused the "no-feed" failures but since they seemed to get better with more gas I thought I was headed in the right direction. With only 25 rounds through it I assume there will be a good bit of adjustment as things wear in. There are a lot of sharp edges to cut yourself on.
Appreciate any and all feedback / guidance / tips as I learn my way around this fascinating bit of technology.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hey enjoy it man, once you get it running right, it's a great weapon! The KSG is also another great Keltec product....

Sent from my iPhone using Kel-Tec Forum

1 - 5 of 5 Posts