Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I just got back from the range after shooting 200 rounds through my brand new Sub200 Gen II (Glock 19). I fired 100 rounds of Federal 115 grain and 100 rounds of Speer Lawman 115 grain. The rifle, as it came from the factory, shot 4-5 inches low left at 25 yards. After adjustments, I was able to keep all my rounds within the size of a playing card. I believe the accuracy is excellent.

More important than accuracy is function. Out of the 200 rounds I fired, I had absolutely no malfunctions of any type. With excellent accuracy, and 100% reliability, I was more than glad I purchased this rifle. These two factors outweigh any of the downsides I’m going to note below.

First off, the factory magazine is a poor stand-in for the genuine Glock magazines. When I first got the Sub, I literally had to hammer on the base of the mag to get it to seat. That’s one of the reasons I got the G19 model so that I could positively seat the numerous G17 mags I already have. The factory mag functioned 100% as far as feeding is concerned, but I just don’t like it.

Next, the cheek weld is beyond comfortable for me. Perhaps it’s because I’m so uncommonly handsome, but more likely it’s because I couldn’t get my fat face in a spot where I didn’t strain to get a clear sight picture. Wearing glasses, as I do, magnified this problem. A RDS is definitely in my Sub’s future and I believe I will mount it offset to the left. Even with being uncomfortable, I managed some very good groups, so this problem may not affect you.

Last, and my biggest complaint, is the fire controls. This is not news to those of you with your own Subs. I believe the trigger pull on my Sub is the worst I have ever experienced with any rifle or pistol. This is easily (or not so easily) remedied with an aftermarket trigger set upgrade. My fear with that option is screwing up the entire installation and I haven’t found any information on a qualified Kel Tec Sub gunsmith. The trigger pull can be learned and maybe even controlled. I was getting much better with it as the session progressed, but it was still far from good, or even acceptable. I’ll probably try installing an aftermarket fire control group at a later date (and I’m not looking forward to it). I shot my G17 after shooting the Sub, and the G17 appeared to fire with just my mental powers. That G17 trigger felt like it was going off with an 8 ounce pull.

So, that’s pretty much everything in a nutshell. The bottom line is that I like my Kel Tec Sub2000 Gen II and if I had to do it all over again, I wouldn’t hesitate buying it again. The concept is so far beyond historical defensive firearms designs that the traditionalists gag at even mentioning Sub2000. As far as I’m concerned, that’s their loss.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just picked up the same model yesterday. Have not fired it yet. Did a quick clean of the barrel per manual suggestions. Tried chambering round, removing magazine and the clearing chamber, but bolt jammed. I couldn't clear the chamber by pulling operating handle. Was able to easily remove round after folding barrel up. Anyone else experience this issue? Any tips? Planing to field strip and fully clean. A little concerned about firing until action clears smoothly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
just purchased a glock17 sub 2k and joined the forum.I had good luck with mine straight out of the box,no cleaning,shot great,no malf. yet, over 200 rounds only thing I did to the sights was take a dremel with cutoff wheel and v-out the peep. makes big difference.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Don't look for problems with your sub2k just by operating it by hand. That's not the same as firing it. A little drop of oil on the ejector and extractor might help. If you have a 9mm chamber brush it might not hurt to give it a quick cleaning.

The OP's post is my experience as well. Junky trigger, uncomfortable cheek weld, good accuracy, and 100% reliable with all the ammo I've run thru it. I added a reflex sight on a QD mount that sits above the irons. Much more comfortable for range use, and stows on the bottom rail for carry.

I might swap in some trigger parts later, I'll let it break in first. It's useable, and doesn't seem to affect my accuracy.

Still amazes me just how small and light this thing is, I think this is the ultimate survival rifle.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thank you Wanderson. I field stripped and thoroughly cleaned, including brushing and lubing the bolt face triflow. Manually putting a case in and out of the extractor claw until it loosened up seemed to help. No problems ejecting after reassembly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.