First time out with my new p-3... FTE question...

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by roll_tide_daniel, Jun 1, 2009.

1. roll_tide_daniel

roll_tide_daniel New Member

May 25, 2009
    After having my P-3AT for over 3 weeks I finally got to take it out this weekend.  First off, it is a 1G, and I have already done a thorough F&B on it.  I had lubed it, and was ready to try it out, so that I could begin to get it ready to replace my PF-9 for the hot Bama summer.  I bought the gun used, and everything seemed to be in good shape when I got it.  I had a strange problem with it at the range and was looking for a little help.  The gun performed very well, and I had 0 FTF's throughout the 50 rounds I fired through it.  I did however have a problem, I had a FTE with the last round in the magazine on every magazine I shot.  On all but one the magazine would hang butt first out of the side about 3/4 of the way out, and I could turn it to the side, pull the slide and it would fall out.  The last magazine I fired however, didn't do that.  I thought it had actually cleared, but when I racked the slide it actually was still in the chamber and popped right out.  I thought initially it might be a technique problem, but having shot my PF-9 regularly for 2 years I have all but dismissed that.  I also noticed that there was a fairly deep scratch along the butt of all of the brass (that I could find) that it ejected.  Any help would greatly be appreciated!

2. Sangueffusor

Sangueffusor New Member

May 13, 2007
    Indiana
    Re: First time out with my new p-3... FTE question

FTE with the last round often indicates that the ejector is missing. It is just a piece that slides into the left frame rail, and it is easy to lose.

3. lop

lop Active Member

May 20, 2008

If you look at the expoded view of you gun, it is part 115, and loves to hide. check that and do a tear down and clean/lube on the mags. Look for sompfin that looks like it has or could scratch those shells. The fact that it is alway the last one in the mag says it ain't you or the ammo. If you find nothing, post some picks of your mags, the under side of the slide, and the well of the gun. We might see something you missed. Good luck, and welcome to ktog. Lop

4. nmshooter

nmshooter New Member

Jan 25, 2008

Yup, welcome to ktog.  ;)

As lop said, look for part 115 on your 3at:

[​IMG]

The ejector simply slides in and out from the top.

5. billjohnso20

billjohnso20 Active Member

Dec 7, 2008

Yup, the ejector is AWOL. KT will send you a new one out just for the asking. That Lifetime Warranty is great. ;D

6. roll_tide_daniel

May 25, 2009

Thanks for all the help guys, I will post some pics of the brass tomorrow, I will have to take some pics of it, and it is at home still.  I have double checked everything and the ejector is in place still.  I am unsure if it is damaged in any way.  I will post pics of the ejector as well, and maybe someone can see something that I am missing.  Thanks again for all of the help on everything!  I can't wait to get this issue worked out so that I can start using this as my CCW.

7. roll_tide_daniel

May 25, 2009

I have also wanted to replace the plastic mag catch with the metal one, is this something that I have to send back in to have covered by the warranty or something that they will send me and allow me to install myself. I am also wondering if there are any other issues with the Gen 1 guns that need to be addressed besides the mag catch. What if any is the benefit of having the ejector unsecured like it is on these weapons? I am pretty familiar with the P-F9s, but this P3 is a whole different animal...

8. billjohnso20

billjohnso20 Active Member

Dec 7, 2008

There is not a factory metal mad catch for the P3AT. Only the PF-9 has a metal mag catch. DaveNC sell metal mag catches in the Trading Post for @ $40.00 though.

9. roll_tide_daniel

May 25, 2009

I am hoping that these might help, as I was finally able to get some pictures taken of the slide, ejector, and brass.

I am pretty new, so I hope this is going to work!

[​IMG][/URL]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][/img]

Please let me know if you guys see anything that is way out of line there... this one has me stumped! Thanks again for all of the help and advice! (especially that I got when I was just lurking!)

10. frankalm

frankalm New Member

May 29, 2009

I actually have the same problem with my G1 P3AT, I used the excuse that it needed a break in period and I'm still waiting for it to fix itself. This is why the P3AT is not my primary carry piece. For me it is either the last or second to the last round and it will not eject the spent casing. I have greased and oiled the hell out of it, I have polished the feed ramp and still experience the same thing. I have read somewhere on here to smooth out the hood of the chamber of the barrel. That is next for me. GOOD LUCK to you.

11. rcmodel

rcmodel New Member

Feb 6, 2005
    Eastern Kansas

It sounds like the empty is getting knocked off the extractor hook before it gets back far enough to hit the ejector.

Check this link and see if your extractor is getting full travel in order to get a good bite on the case rim.

http://www.1bad69.com/keltec/extractor.htm

Also, there were actually two different extractors used in the early P3AT.

One was like the one in the link.
    The other one was the same as used in the P32, and the hook extended down further at an angle.

There are pictures of the differance on here somewhere but I can't get the search function to work well enough to find them.

rc

12. roll_tide_daniel

May 25, 2009

Well, after reading everyone's comments I decided to give my little friend a more thorough F&B.  I was able to find a small bur on the inside of the chamber and after some time with the 2000 grit sandpaper it is now smooth as glass!  I did this and also used some higher quality grease.  I took the gun out yesterday, and I couldn't be happier! I put 200 rounds of Remington UMC without a single FTE or FTF!  I finally have the confidence to use this as my carry gun!  After carrying outside today in the 100+ degree heat index this is going to be a GREAT summer gun! Thanks again to everyone for all the help!