Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Posted this in the wrong place, so here is the question again. How loose should the barrel be with the slide back. My pf9 is a lot looser than my Glock or 1911.

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
With the slide locked back, the barrel will be quite "loose". This is perfectly normal with the PF-9. As long as the barrel locks up tightly when in battery, nothing to be concerned about.

Jim R

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. It's all oiled up and will go to the range tomorrow. I was going to polish up the ramp but mine is very good from the factory(s/n s7xxx) I didn't think I could do a better job. Going to use some PPM and White box for to start with. I am hoping I can replace my SW mod 36 as a carry gun but need some confidence with the fp9 first.

·
Administrator
31,975 Posts
Just so you know, Win White Box has not been a good pick for many PF9s. The Federal sold at Walmart usually works fine.

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
+1 on the poor performance of Win White Box in many PF-9s. Also, just so you know, if your PF-9 is simply "oiled" that may cause some issues as well. The critical friction points (slide and frame rails, hammer interface, etc) really need a light coating of qun grease, not oil. Oil simply does not provide sufficient lasting lubrication on these areas for the pistol to cycle reliably.

Jim R

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Took your advise and added some grease on the rails, thanks. Here is the results of my first range session. Put about 120 rounds through it. Started with the win white box. Read about how they don't work well after I came back from the range. I had some type of failure with every mag I put the white box ammo in. About 60 rounds. FTE, FTF the works. The first few mags of the PMC worked fine. I had few failure with the PMC. By the time I got to the last few mags wasn't happy. To bad I like the gun. By the end, the gun was so dirty that might have been the issue wi the last few mags. Upon disassembly there is a large scoring on the upper portion of the slide inside in front of the ejection port. Is that normal? It now seems harder to pull the slide open all the way too. The guy in the store sold me some magtech. $17. I will try that next and also pick up some federal. All the ammo is 115 grain FMJ. I like the gun I really want it to be reliable enough to carry.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hard to tell from the post, but it is probably the dreaded slide peening. If a lip forms on the front of the cutout, you will need to send it back.

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
Took your advise and added some grease on the rails, thanks. Here is the results of my first range session. Put about 120 rounds through it. Started with the win white box. Read about how they don't work well after I came back from the range. I had some type of failure with every mag I put the white box ammo in. About 60 rounds. FTE, FTF the works. The first few mags of the PMC worked fine. I had few failure with the PMC. By the time I got to the last few mags wasn't happy. To bad I like the gun. By the end, the gun was so dirty that might have been the issue wi the last few mags. Upon disassembly there is a large scoring on the upper portion of the slide inside in front of the ejection port. Is that normal? It now seems harder to pull the slide open all the way too. The guy in the store sold me some magtech. $17. I will try that next and also pick up some federal. All the ammo is 115 grain FMJ. I like the gun I really want it to be reliable enough to carry.
Some light marking/wear on the slide is normal, and should not be a cause for worry. Only if you see some serious "denting" of the slide face where the front of the barrel locks into the slide is there any reason to be watchful.

As for the difficulty in retracting the slide towards the end of your session, this could well be due to simply the pistol becoming somewhat gummed up from powder residues, etc, as well as the grease becoming contaminated with residues. 120 rounds in a PF-9 is lot for one session, and this pistol does not like to operate dirty. Best bet, if you are going to go more than 50 rounds or so, is to stop and do a minor clean up of the pistol. Especially clean out around the extractor, as this gets dirty and clogged quickly. Also, wipe down and reapply a light bit of grease on the rails every 50 rounds or so. One other thing, if the inside of the slide in front of the slide port is rubbing a bit, this area should also be lightly greased each time as the barrel hood does ride this slide area during recoil. For a good guide on how/where to lubricate the PF-9 , check out GoldenLoki's web site. He provides some excellent lube guidance.

Jim R

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks. I cleaned it up oiled and greased it. Slide is still harder to get back that last 1/8 of an inch. And I do see some slide material growing on the surface of the opening. Not very much though.

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
Thanks. I cleaned it up oiled and greased it. Slide is still harder to get back that last 1/8 of an inch. And I do see some slide material growing on the surface of the opening. Not very much though.
If it stays pretty minor, ok. But if the locking surface of the slide continues to indent/peen, then you will need to contact Kel Tec. The fact that the slide "sticks" at the far end of the recoil retraction may reflect some peening as this is the area that drags on the barrel hood during recoil. If you do have one of the defective slides (a small number did/do exist), then you should be able to just send them the slide and barrel for replacement. Only the aluminum frame is legally a "firearm" so you can send the barrel and slide by USPS or just ask Kel Tec for a shipping label for the entire pistol if that is your choice. Just keep an eye on it, as any significant "peening" issue should be readily apparent by the time you get several hundred rounds through the PF-9.

Jim R

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Took the gun to the store I bought it in. He said it's not right and is sending it back. He said I should get it back in 10days. Store is Suffolk sportsman gives good service. I should hope so. I think I paid the more for PF9 than anybody. I will lwt you know what happens. Just to make sure Kel Tec understands what the problem I had is. I sent them a comment on their web page explaining it. Giving them the serial number and saying the dealer sent it back. I got an e mail back saying they would answer me in 3 days. Do they really answer? I did the same with a question I had with my Remington 1911 got an answer back the next day.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts