First shots today at the range

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by dbfxdm, Nov 9, 2008.

1. dbfxdm

dbfxdm New Member

Nov 9, 2008
    New to the forum - Hello from FL

I picked up a P3AT at the West Palm Beach show yesterday. Took it out to the range today and it performed flawlessly - no problems at all.

I had field stripped it last night, cleaned the over-abundance of oil out, and very lightly lubed it. The manual shows the ejector coming out but mine would not - I did not pry it but it would not "fall out" by itself. I read about the Fluff and Buff and I may do some of it later.

I shot 50 rounds of Fiocchi and it was more accurate than I expected. It handles very well considering it's weight.

Tonight I field stripped it again and it was pretty clean. I took an exacto-knife to some of the parting lines on the frame, grip, and mag - just to clean up the lines and the flash a bit.

Great purchase - this ones definitely a "keeper". I may get another...

2. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    welcome to KTOG.
    interesting about or ejector, I wonder if it might have been glued :-/

3. dmciver

dmciver New Member

Nov 8, 2008
    I picked one up Friday and managed to get to the range with it today. I did field strip and clean on Friday night and the ejector did not come out either. After putting 100 rounds down range today I again field stripped and the ejector stayed put? Not sure what to make of it at this point as it seems to be very secure. Had a ball with the pistol at the range. Accuracy was much better than expected. Shot both Winchester FMJ"s and Matgec JHP's with to FTF or FTE. Not a single fault at this point.

4. molachi

molachi New Member

Jun 16, 2008
    Pensacola, Fl.
    Welcome to both of you. For some reason my ejector didn't come out either when I cleaned mine after I got it a few months ago..Thought I just totally missed it when expecting it to fall out, but it was still there...

John

5. dbfxdm

dbfxdm New Member

Nov 9, 2008
    It may be captive - possibly a design change that is not reflected in the manual. No problem for me. It looks like it would be easy to loose anyway...

6. RAT76

RAT76 Active Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Oklahoma
    It's just lulling you into a false sense of security. First time you relax your vigilance........ZIP! it'll be off on it's way back to Cocoa.

Don't say I didn't warn ya. ;)

7. wheelguy

wheelguy New Member

May 4, 2007
    Rat's right - they are secure to begin with, but eventually, the plastic that holds it will "flow" loose. It'll perhaps be free by the end of the 200 round break-in period. KT would have to change the design of the grip and the ejector in order to prevent this, and I doubt that'll happen until they decide to release a generation 3 version.

8. ElBoricua

ElBoricua New Member

Sep 25, 2008
    Welcome to the Forum you will love that little thing. The ejector on mine didnt come off untill the 4th time i was cleaning the gun, i didnt even notice it until i was re assembling it.

9. robbiedaman

robbiedaman New Member

May 26, 2008
    welcome and enjoy! its a great little gun thats often wrongfully maligned.

10. dbfxdm

dbfxdm New Member

Nov 9, 2008
    So far I love it. It does exactly what I bought it for - disappears in my pocket. About 15 years ago I bought a Colt Mustang Plus2 for this very purpose. It shoots nice but weighs too much loaded - not comfortable as a pocket gun. I hardly ever carried it - I kept it in my car for a number of years.