First shots today at the range

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by dbfxdm, Nov 9, 2008.

1. dbfxdm

dbfxdm New Member

Nov 9, 2008
    New to the forum - Hello from FL

I picked up a P3AT at the West Palm Beach show yesterday. Took it out to the range today and it performed flawlessly - no problems at all.

I had field stripped it last night, cleaned the over-abundance of oil out, and very lightly lubed it. The manual shows the ejector coming out but mine would not - I did not pry it but it would not "fall out" by itself. I read about the Fluff and Buff and I may do some of it later.

I shot 50 rounds of Fiocchi and it was more accurate than I expected. It handles very well considering it's weight.

Tonight I field stripped it again and it was pretty clean. I took an exacto-knife to some of the parting lines on the frame, grip, and mag - just to clean up the lines and the flash a bit.

Great purchase - this ones definitely a "keeper". I may get another...

2. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    welcome to KTOG.
    interesting about or ejector, I wonder if it might have been glued :-/

3. dmciver

dmciver New Member

Nov 8, 2008
    I picked one up Friday and managed to get to the range with it today. I did field strip and clean on Friday night and the ejector did not come out either. After putting 100 rounds down range today I again field stripped and the ejector stayed put? Not sure what to make of it at this point as it seems to be very secure. Had a ball with the pistol at the range. Accuracy was much better than expected. Shot both Winchester FMJ"s and Matgec JHP's with to FTF or FTE. Not a single fault at this point.

4. molachi

molachi New Member

Jun 16, 2008
    Pensacola, Fl.
    Welcome to both of you. For some reason my ejector didn't come out either when I cleaned mine after I got it a few months ago..Thought I just totally missed it when expecting it to fall out, but it was still there...

John

5. dbfxdm

dbfxdm New Member

Nov 9, 2008
    It may be captive - possibly a design change that is not reflected in the manual. No problem for me. It looks like it would be easy to loose anyway...

6. RAT76

RAT76 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Oklahoma
    It's just lulling you into a false sense of security. First time you relax your vigilance........ZIP! it'll be off on it's way back to Cocoa.

Don't say I didn't warn ya. ;)

7. wheelguy

wheelguy New Member

May 4, 2007
    Rat's right - they are secure to begin with, but eventually, the plastic that holds it will "flow" loose. It'll perhaps be free by the end of the 200 round break-in period. KT would have to change the design of the grip and the ejector in order to prevent this, and I doubt that'll happen until they decide to release a generation 3 version.

8. ElBoricua

ElBoricua New Member

Sep 25, 2008
    Welcome to the Forum you will love that little thing. The ejector on mine didnt come off untill the 4th time i was cleaning the gun, i didnt even notice it until i was re assembling it.

9. robbiedaman

robbiedaman New Member

May 26, 2008
    welcome and enjoy! its a great little gun thats often wrongfully maligned.

10. dbfxdm

dbfxdm New Member

Nov 9, 2008
    So far I love it. It does exactly what I bought it for - disappears in my pocket. About 15 years ago I bought a Colt Mustang Plus2 for this very purpose. It shoots nice but weighs too much loaded - not comfortable as a pocket gun. I hardly ever carried it - I kept it in my car for a number of years.