First Range Trip

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Temp08, Oct 3, 2010.

1. Temp08

Temp08 New Member

Sep 26, 2010
    So today I was finally able to get to the range to try out my new P3AT. I did a pre shoot F&B and complete tear down, clean, and re-oil. I put 100 rounds of federal FMJ through it, had 1 FTF and 0 FTEs. The FTF was solved simply by tapping the slide forward.

I did notice something odd however, in the pic below take a look at dent in the tip of the bullet. Only happens when a round is chambered after a shot, not when cycled by hand. I'm wondering if this might be a problem when I go to JHPs? Moreover what might I do to fix it?

[​IMG]

And I was also wondering if the bend in these springs is normal, wasn't like that new. Anyone else have this issue?

[​IMG]

2. Temp08

Temp08 New Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Ah, thank's dubloon. Well that kind of sucks. At least it doesn't seem to seat the slug farther so I don't think there's anything to worry about there. Still it's not a desirable characteristic...

3. dub got ya on the ;D issue. The spring deformation is normal and does not hurt a thing.

4. nashvillemike

nashvillemike New Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Tempo 08, One recommendation that I read here was to insert the springs together so they coil in opposite directions. I have no evidence, but it makes sense that it, along with lightly greasing the springs, could help reduce friction.

5. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    the springs should be wound opposite, ie one wound clockwise, the other counter clockwise, so they do not inter leave. turning a spring does not change the way it winds

when the springs are installed on the rod and in the slide, I roll the out er slightly to ensure both inner and outer are seated on each end and not try to interleaf on bottom coil.  

once a spring is bent, there will be an orientation that works better.  this will be noticed when racking, the bend may be noticable as a clicking or inablity to fully rack.  I had a set that got a severe kink, that were ok if installed the proper way, but would reduce slide travel if I put them back wrong

your slight bend may not even make a differance

6. Bo_Bryant

Bo_Bryant New Member

Jun 7, 2008
    I have never had that problem with mine. So I can't help you there. But you can always get new ones from Kel-Tec. When I sent my P11 slide back for replacement, I ordered some new ones then.

Bo Bryant

7. rdemilt

rdemilt New Member

Aug 5, 2010
    I pulled my gun apart today just to have a look and found that the large spring is wound clockwise and the smaller is wound counter clockwise, so changing the springs end for end makes no difference. they will always be going opposite of each other, as JFB stated.