First range trip.

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Represent316, Dec 5, 2010.

1. Represent316

Represent316 New Member

Nov 24, 2010
    Bought a OD / blue P3at from a gunshow a week before thanksgiving after researching / drooling over them for a while with intentions being a lightweight "Pocket gun".

Since ive owned it i have bought a Hogue Handall JR, And Keltec 9 Round magazine for it.
    Today at the range i picked up some A-zoom snapcaps and a +1 magazine extension for my 6rnder.

I shot 25 rounds of 100gr ammo that came with the gun, 25 rounds of Blazer 95gr, and 10 rounds of Hornady 380 90gr XTP.

The ammo that came with the gun shot great. No problems cycling, and decently accurate for this small of a pistol.
    The blazer cycled very well, And grouped pretty decently as well.
    I had a FTE with the Hornady. At first i thought it was a dud round so i waited 30 sec, dropped the mag, and cycled the action. I then pulled the slide and barrel off, To make sure there was nothing in the barrel. After i seen it was clear i put it back together, and fired off the remaining 3 rounds of what i planned to shoot.

Other then the FTE problem I didnt have any concerns. im not exactly sure if it was the fault of the ammo, or gun. Round looked fine and came right out when i cycled the action. However i havent heard anything good about Hornady ammo. It was all that was available as far as HP's go, So i figured id give them a try.

I plan to see how Winchester whitebox [My favorite Range ammo for my 9mm, .40, .45, and .357.], And speer gold dots cycle threw them next time out.

Future plans for it are an Arma laser and nemisis holster, And a few more factory mags with +1 extensions. Then its back to my Winchester 1300 build.

2. lop

lop Well-Known Member

May 20, 2008
    Hey Repre,
    Congrats on the new toy. Your pictures were a little hard to see, you might want to work on that. ::) You said " However i havent heard anything good about Hornady ammo". Did you mean to say that or "anything bad"? While any product can have problems, it seems that Hornady is a highly respected company. I've never had any problem with them, and while not resurching, I don't rememeber hearign of any. Agian, anyone can make a bad round of ammo. Is your gun new or has it had some ware? If it is used, strip it and just check it out. Make sure it is clean and that he extractor hook is in good shape and tight. Make sure the ejector block is in good condition (pn 115). Then run 2-300 round thru it and give it a good shake down run. one error in the first 200 wood not seem a problem ot me, but before you carry it, give it that work out. When YOU are comfortable and confident with it, go for it. These guns are very small and light, and require a bit more tlc than a fullsize steel tank.
    Remember, shoot, clean, lube, repeat. :)
    Lop
    Oh, and welcome to KTOG.

3. Represent316

Represent316 New Member

Nov 24, 2010
    Your right, I was trying to save the pictures, for when i had some worthy of being posted [When i find my charger to my camera, or borrow one.].. But since you've caught me..

[​IMG]

Day it followed me home from the gunshow.

Also i meant what i said. Everything ive read about hornady ammo [On this site, and others], hasnt been great news at all. I didnt totally discard the thought of using the ammo, And tried it for myself. Upon opening the box of ammo, I took a look across the primer end of the cases, And what do you know? They're were 5-6 out of 25 that were taller / shorter then others. I figured id fire 3 of them off the bat, So i could keep an eye on them. One of them was the FTE, at which point i field stripped the gun to make sure i didnt have a round lodged in my barrel. Im not saying it isnt good ammo, Im saying its not exactly consistent enough for me to use to protect my life. which is what i bought the P3AT for.

Eventually ill start reloading, and wont have to worry about factory ammo. However i still plan to try some Speer gold dot, And WWB for range ammo, Next time out.

Upon getting the firearm home, I did do a field strip and cleaned it and lubed it. The ejector looked fine, However i have nothing to compare it to. I realize 60 rounds wont tell me how reliable the gun is, But thats all i had time to shoot. I will put several hundred rounds threw it, eventually. First i wanna get a wider selection of ammo, As well as another experienced shooter to go help me run her threw the hoops.

I love the thing, And am already contemplating a second one.

Also, so no one thinks im just an FNG, Ive been around firearms since i was six. im twenty six now, and have had my fair share of experiences. Heres a little of my non KT collection.

[​IMG]
    Taurus Pt 1911 .45 with Hogue grips, And a Glock 35 .40cal with CT grip.

[​IMG]
    My taurus PT111 PRO 9mm i used to run atleast 150 rounds threw a week..
    [​IMG]30' trophey from the pt111.

[​IMG]
    Norinco, and Yugo SKS with thier M1 Carbine friend.

Ive also got a winchester 1300 [HD], and Mossy 835 [Field gun].

4. lop

lop Well-Known Member

May 20, 2008
    Hey Repre,
    I didn't mean to imply you were a noob. I re-read both your original post, and mine, and see that mine came off not sounding quite like I intended. No offence ment. I should have picked up on the fact that you bought a bunch of other calibers presumably to shoot thru other guns. ::)
    Anyway, I'd not heard any scuttle but on Horandy, I'll have to look into it a bit. I've not fire a lot of it, but had no problems.
    Take care,
    Lop

5. Represent316

Represent316 New Member

Nov 24, 2010
    No offence taken.
    You've lost me here, But yes i do have quite a caliber selection, And know that no two guns function the same. I was worried about limpwristing the lil P3AT, but so far so good. Must be holding onto that .40 that got me prepared.

6. lop

lop Well-Known Member

May 20, 2008
    Well, I got around to a little dogpile searching on "problems with Hornady ammo" and there sure is a lot out there. Way to much to make me comfy using it as carry ammo. I only have one gun that I had some carry ammo for. That will be replaced before it is carried again. Thanks Repre. I'm always up for learning sompfin new.
    Take care,
    Lop

7. Represent316

Represent316 New Member

Nov 24, 2010
    From my research, Speer gold dot is the best, And what i will be trying out next.
    Out of all of my centerfires, Ive never had a Winchester Whitebox round let me down, so ill be putting there .380 rounds threw thier paces as well. I didnt get time to shoot as much as id like last sunday, But hopefully this sunday will be different.

8. Represent316

Represent316 New Member

Nov 24, 2010
    Found a stash of 95 gr WWB ammo at walmart $31 for 100 rnds so i picked up a box to start with, Then if it works will go buy a few more hundred round boxes every few weeks. Hopefully i can make it to the range tomorrow.

9. Represent316

Represent316 New Member

Nov 24, 2010
    Due to technical dificulties, i didnt make it to the range today. Spent the majority of the day refreshing my wrapping skills.

I did however manage to snap you guys some updated pictures..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Here you can see the small gap some people have asked about with the extended magazines. Its a decent sized gap, but doesnt hurt anything, and serves its purpose well so i dont mind it. As ive said before, id rather a gap, then it so tight i cant correctly seat my mag.

Now.. Since ive splurged on the family for xmas, Its time to do some splurging of my own.

Can you say hello DeSantis Superfly holster? :)