First range report with new P3at

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by CO_Carry, Nov 24, 2009.

1. CO_Carry

CO_Carry New Member

Nov 13, 2009
    Finally got to go and shoot my new hard chrome/green p3at. I cleaned and lubed the gun thoroughly before shooting. I shot 100 rounds of Sellier & Bellot FMJ and six rounds of Speer Gold Dot. The gun functioned flawlessly, no failures of any kind. Accuracy was actually quite impressive for such a small gun, short barrel, and low-profile sights!

The only problem I had, was that my trigger finger took a beating :'( It got pinched between the trigger and trigger guard while shooting the first two mags. By the time I figured out that I should change the way I was squeezing the trigger, my finger already had a big blood blister... :-X

Next time I know, overall though I am very pleased with this gun and I feel very comfortable carrying it! ;D

2. oldgranpa

oldgranpa New Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Just a suggestion, what I do for range practice with little pocket rockets....

I wrap a bandaid around my trigger finger. The 'sports' kind with the pad where the finger is getting hit.

Your P3AT is proving that this pistol still leads the way for pocket guns.

og

3. DaveTec

DaveTec New Member

Oct 16, 2009
    I get a blister on my thumb. Never had my trigger finger get pinched.

4. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Good to hear that your new P3AT fired without a single hickup.

I've got a HC/Gray P3AT and have always liked best the Blued/OD combo, it'd be really nice to see a picture of your gun as I bet it looks really sharp.

Generally shoot 57 rounds in any give session with my gun and have not experienced any of the discomfort problems folks have mentioned. I do run both my P3ATs with grip pads, grip sleeve and mag. extension so that probably helps some.

Take care...

5. CO_Carry

CO_Carry New Member

Nov 13, 2009
    I actually thought about trying the band-aid thing. I grip sleeve will probably be in my near future. I will try to put up a pic when I get home!

6. CO_Carry

CO_Carry New Member

Nov 13, 2009
    Can't figure out how to post a picture on here.

7. haugrdr

haugrdr Super Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Jan 4, 2008
    Daytona Beach
  8. Tokamak

Tokamak New Member

Apr 28, 2006
    Never had a blister or pinch and have shot hundreds of rounds - maybe 1000.  Same with my wife and her P3AT.  

I guess it depends on the size of your hands or something.  We both have small hands.

9. gordon11

gordon11 Active Member

Dec 30, 2007
    Same here and I think the hand size is definitely it.  Despite being somewhat rotund I have small skinny hands.  I think that's why I'm not bothered by the recoil as well.  My hands aren't meaty enough to give the gun any running room.  I do however get a blister in the webbing of my hand next to the thumb after 100 rounds in a single session.

Glad you're happy with it, CO_Carry.  I had a few failures in the first couple of mags but has been flawless since.  It has become a favorite range gun for me due to shooting comfort.  Too bad .380 ammo's so hard to come by.

10. Tokamak

Tokamak New Member

Apr 28, 2006
    Never did 100 in a single session either! Most is probably 50 at one time.

11. tomwalshco

tomwalshco New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    I can only shoot about 4 mags full before my trigger finger will start to go numb. But amazingly, at short range, my 3AT is my most accurate gun and I've got a 5" barrel .45.

12. CO_Carry

CO_Carry New Member

Nov 13, 2009
    Here's the pic of my hc/od p3at.  This was taken the day I got it from my ffl.  Thanks haugrdr for the info on how to post pics.  As you can see my hands are certainly not big, I think if I change the position of my finger on the trigger it will help a lot.

[​IMG]

13. torrent

torrent New Member

Dec 18, 2006
    I put an Uncle Mikes on mine and fell in love with it. When the gun was carried IWB the checkered grip would sometimes rub against my skin on days when wearing a tucked in T-shirt wasn't comfortable and the grip sleeve really changed that. For me it doesn't make a difference in the way I shoot the gun like a mag extension does but it is more comfortable to carry now.