First Post - P3AT suddenly unreliable

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by boxerglocker, Aug 6, 2010.

1. boxerglocker

boxerglocker New Member

Aug 5, 2010
    Hello everyone, this is my first post here on KTOG.

I have a 2nd gen P3AT, S/N HNX..

The gun was purchased used but unfired about 3 years ago, has approximately 600-700 round through it, about half factory the rest my personal 100g Berry's RN reloads back with HP-38.

I hadn't shot it for a while maybe 3 months but prior to that, would shoot it at least 20 rounds a range session once a week.

Yesterday, I took my GF and son to the range and wanted my GF to try it out and see if she would take favor it to it as a CCW. Well she loved it for the first 15-20 rounds then all of a sudden, it became unreliable, light off center primer strikes.

I did a firing pin and channel check when I got home, nothing out of the ordinary. The gun had a light fluff and buff done to it about 2 years go and hasn't missed a beat til now.

Today I went back to the range with a variety of factory ammo and again some reloads and it didn't matter what was feed in it. Same deal  :'(. Though, the first 3-4 rounds did go off, after that it was hit and miss ever 3rd round I hand cycled.

What do you guys think? Weakened hammer spring? Should I just send it back to KT?

On that topic, as I said I bought the gun new but unfired from a private individual. How stringent is KT about thier warranty policy as written for the original owner only?

I would like to extend my appreciation for your advice in advance.

Boxer

2. Sangueffusor

Sangueffusor New Member

May 13, 2007
    Indiana
    KT's warranty is unofficially "don't ask, don't tell" as far as multiple owners go.

Your gun almost definitely has the old hammer block. This means that if you don't let the trigger reset fully forward after firing, you will always get light strikes. If you're certain you are letting it reset correctly, then the hammer spring may indeed be weakened. If you call the KT service department and describe the problem, I bet they will send you a new hammer spring, or perhaps an assembly (hammer, spring, retainer plug).

3. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    I assume you cleaned the firing pin channel and everything moves freely. I also assume that you oriented the firing pin correctly with the flat side against the firing pin screw.  Did you check the tip of the firing pin to make sure it hasn't dulled or snapped off leaving it a tad bit too short?  If the firing pin assembly is normal then it almost has to be the hammer spring.  KT service will send you parts.  They are not likely to ask if you are the original owner and don't volunteer that info.  Even so, the parts are cheap.  I wouldn't go to the expense and trouble of sending it back just yet.  Those parts are easily changed.  And yes, since you've had the gun for some time I am  assuming that you guys were allowing the trigger to reset fully forward after each shot.  If it has the old hammer block, short stroking the trigger will cause light strikes every time.  Changing the hammer spring assembly only takes a few minutes.  Field strip the gun.  Knock out the 2 frame pins.  Unhook the hammer spring.  Then reverse the process.

http://www.1bad69.com/keltec/disassembly.htm