Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a new chrome/grey PF9 and took if out for it's maiden voyage today. Last night I was examining the fit of a casing as if fits under the extractor and noticed it was a loose fit. The extractor didn't have much of a "bite" on the rime of the casing ( it was just barely catching the edge) and I could wiggle the casing around on the bolt face and the extractor would let go of the casing and allow me to pull it out easily. So I took it to the range fully expecting it to fail miserably and it didn't let me down. Fired about 100 rounds and I lost count of the FTE's. It got to be kind of a game of seeing how fast I could clear the jam and rack the next round.

Tonight I pulled it apart and looked at the extractor and decided to file the inside flat of extractor where it rests on the slide. The first few strokes of the file revealed a couple high spots which I flattened down then I checked the fit of the casing behind the extractor again. It was much better but not a tight fit so I filed the flat some more checking the fit as I went along until I could just see the extractor move as I slide a casing in behind it. Now the extractor has a death grip on the casing and I can no longer wiggle it and pull it away from the bolt face. I didnt remove much material, not enough to go through the chrome finish.

I will get to the range this coming week end and report back on the results, but I believe it should be cured of the dreaded FTE's.

On a side note, this thing has one hell of a snap to it. My Taurus PT 111 which is about the exact same size is much more tame and has well over a thousand rounds through it without a single issue. At the end of the session my hand was getting sore.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yeah the PF9 is a snappy little thing, but it does what it is supposed to, usually after modding the extractor one way or another. Seems like you created a different approach, since some folks tend to double up on extractors and put in a longer extractor screw. Hopefully your next trip has the FTE's solved. That would be nice if a little filing solves the extractor issue and identifies another approach to the problem.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I feel like my problems are feed issues. I get fresh rounds caught in a stovepipe as the slide slams shut.

Maybe a doublefeed. Last session only had issue with last round of the 8 rounder. So there wasn't a a way to tell if it would have double fed.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Impressive value

Just got my 6th Kel-Tec a PF9. My family has a total of 4 SU-16C', a SU22. I so loved the light weight of the SU-16C's that we decided it was time to try. Kel-Tec handgun. We have some of the Ruger LCP's which are basically prettier 3ATs. Considered getting an LC9 to try but I hate chamber indicators, the mag safety, and the thumb safety on the LC9. Also the trigger is MUCH smoother on PF9. The gun is quite a bit lighter, too, Just put 50 rounds thru it without a single malf. A young lady joined me to try it ...also with no problems.

We both noticed the finger pinch issue when dry firing, but did not get bit when going hot.

I'm very impressed so far. Great carry gun. Probably won't shoot it all that much just for fun like we do the SU-16C or SU22, but what an awesome, light, compact gun. The thoroughbred of CCW handguns.

I plan to put another 300 rounds thru it before really trying to get dialed in with some premium ammo, probably Hornady Critical Defense, and put it into service.

Only way it could be better is to be prettier, like LC9, but I really don't give much weight to man jewelry. Awesome job Kel-Tec.

·
Registered
50 Posts
2nd outing

I put 200 rounds downrange during my second outing. Lots of FTF using same Remington UMC. Always fired with second strike.

Following instructions at
http://www.thektog.org/forum/showthread.php?t=236841
I removed firing pin.

It was really tight coming out had to use light taps with punch to get it free.

Cleaned out channel and did some light polishing of firing pin just to the point where it would slide back in. Applied Sentry Solutions dry film lube.

I haven't tried t yet but i 'm feeling pretty confident that the problem is solved.

·
Premium Member
15,000 Posts
It's not really dry firing if you use a snap cap.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts