Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the opportunity today to break in and test my new PF-9. I would like to share my experience. This is my first gun ever and I love it.:D

I shot 150 bullets through it and I had a few malfunctions. I think it is failure to extract ( sorry guys, I'm a gun newbie). The first box was the federal 115gr where i had no problems. The problems started with the RWS 124gr (4 failures) and 2 failures on the Winchester white box. I'm thinking the failures may also be my error since I'm new to guns. After this experience, I will use the federal 115gr red boxes in my future range trips.

Hopefully, I will be able to break it in properly so I may start testing some SD rounds so my PF-9.:D

·
Registered
159 Posts
One way to see if a problem is you or the gun, is to have someone with experience shoot it for you.

Thus is good if you think the sights are off, it for me last week, to see if I was limp wristing.

·
Administrator
31,979 Posts
The first box was the federal 115gr where i had no problems.
Stick with this ammo for practice. Some of these guns don't much care for the Win White Box. Try a couple different brands of brass-cased self-defense (JHP) ammo and go with what it likes. You'll be fine. Clean, lube, shoot, repeat. :cool:

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
@Oblivion9: Thanks for the advice. I will let the range person in charge to try it for me next time. :cool:

@Brett_f: I will stick to 115gr. Thanks!

@Cheap_Shot: My hands are kinda shaking when I was almost through. I got a handall jr on my PF-9 and I used a light full finger glove made for mountain biking but it looks like it was designed after those tactical gloves which really helped ease up on the recoil.
I may as well rest for a while... a few weeks to about a month.:)

@TxCajun: Thank you! For now, I am considering the Hornady Zombie Max JHP. I will always keep your advice in mind, " clean, lube, shoot, repeat" and I need more practice.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh it is snappy. Had to shake out NY hands every 15 rounds.
That's so true but the recoil is manageable non the less.. I load up 2 mags then get the +1 in the chamber and top off the mag.. Then I wear my gloves and fire away! Once I am sure it is properly broken in and I figure out the JHP SD round it will eat without failures, then it will serve its purpose as a "carry more shoot less" in house defensive pistol.. until I get my CHL. :D

·
Registered
7,703 Posts
Make sure you aren't "staging" the trigger. What that means is puling the trigger back partway, holding it there while taking aim, and then pulling the trigger the rest of the way to fire.

Staging the trigger sometimes feels like the right thing to do when you're new, especially because the PF9 has a rather long and heavy trigger pull (this is typical for DAO, "Double Action Only", pistols). But it will quickly tire your hand when you stage the trigger. Resulting in shakiness, anticipation of recoil (which with throw your shots off), and you may also be more sensitive to recoil if you stage the trigger. I remember when I first got my PF9 I would be shaking and wondering how this little gun could kick so much after only a few dozen rounds. Now, I don't even notice and can put box after box of ammo through it without pain or fatigue. You don't want to "snap" the trigger when firing, but you don't want to "stage" it either. Either of these poor techniques will throw your shots way off the mark.

Also, you want a firm grip on the PF9, but don't let that grip transfer up to your forearms and elbows. When your entire arms are tense you will feel the recoil much more. And you will potentially experience "limp wristing" that can cause your gun to jam. Your body has to absorb recoil somewhere. If you tense your arms and elbows, it will be your wrists that have to absorb the recoil. And in this case, your wrists WILL bend. I don't care how strong or experienced a shooter you are, the recoil has to be absorbed somewhere. You cannot get rid of it with brute strength in your arms, as I said, if you try this, yours wrists WILL break (not broken bones break, but movement break). If you break your wrists with a lightweight pistol like the PF9, you have a good chance of causing feeding malfunctions (lot's of different malfunctins actually). This may not be the case with a larger heavier gun. You can get by with breaking your wrists on those guns, and they don't care. Besides, when you allow your elbows and arms to move under recoil to absorb it, you'll be amazed that the recoil just seems to dissappear! No more having to shake out your hands after a few rounds.

My PF9 went from a beast to a *****cat in the perceived recoil department as I learned how to shoot it. But I also put a little stick-on padding on the backside of the grip and then stretched a Hogue Hand-All Jr. over that. [ ed. - Funny! It looks like the net-nanny censor wants me to say "puddycat" rather than the normal spelling! ]

·
Registered
6,685 Posts
Oddly enough, I seem to shoot better whenever I "stage" the trigger on all of my DAO pistols. Maybe I've just taken a bad shooting habit and adapted to it enough that I can shoot halfway decent with it...? (Not that I'm a great shot by any means. I'm pretty horrible even at 7 yards, really, even with a light single-action trigger, but at least I can get 'em all in the silhouette. :) )

+1 to the above recommendation to stick with Federal Champion 115gr for practice - those and Remington UMC 115gr are the only loads I use for practice in 9mm. For defense, every gun is different and some will choke on certain brands while they'll gobble up others without complaint, so it's a matter of trial and error. Some brands that are worth trying out:

1. Speer Gold Dot 115gr standard pressure (NOT the +P or +P+ loads)
2. Hornady Critical Defense (Z-Max is the same stuff, but I wouldn't use it for defense, just because using "zombie ammo" for defense provides leverage for greedy civil trial lawyers)
3. Winchester SXZ or Remington UMC JHP (not the latest high-tech ammo, but plenty adequate for defense, and it's affordable enough that you can actually practice with it)

There's a bajillion other brands and loads out there, but those are my personal top three preferences. Whether it's for practice or defense, I would stay away from anything steel- or aluminum-cased, anything over 124 grains, and anything in a +P or +P+ loading, as they can lead to functionality problems and/or cause premature wear n' tear on your pistol.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Another newbie here, also with good things to say. :D

I've been reading the threads, cleaned my new PF-9, broke it in using Snap-Caps. Took a CCW Permit class yesterday, pulled a trigger for the first time in 40 years (and this is my first hand gun), qualified on the range first time out. Went BANG every time, no malfunctions. Happy camper!!

Used Remington UMC 115 Gr. MC for first bullets thru this gun, plan to use Federal 115 Gr. JHP as carry ammo, after I run some thru on the range to see how it handles. All-in-all, very happy with my purchase.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
@haertig: I didn't know til you pointed it out but I was definitely "staging" the trigger. I will try to learn how to smoothly pull the trigger. Thanks for the advice and I will keep that in mind. For the mean time, I will work on proper technique with snap caps for now.. Your advice is really great for a newbie like me.:)

@darkwritter77: Thank you for pointing out the downside of the zombie max ammo. I never thought about that til now. On the other hand, I will no longer use the RWS 124 gr as my PF-9 dont like it. I will definitely consider the Speer Gold Dot JHP.:cool:

@ptcrusr: We are both happy with our PF-9! :D I am also looking forward for a very own CHL. I use the most affordable FMJ my PF-9 will eat with no failures and it happened to be the federal red box 115gr form wally world. For SD rounds, I have plenty of options fellow KTOG members already shared like you. :)

·
Administrator
31,979 Posts
Make sure you aren't "staging" the trigger. What that means is puling the trigger back partway, holding it there while taking aim, and then pulling the trigger the rest of the way to fire.

Staging the trigger sometimes feels like the right thing to do when you're new, especially because the PF9 has a rather long and heavy trigger pull (this is typical for DAO, "Double Action Only", pistols). But it will quickly tire your hand when you stage the trigger. Resulting in shakiness, anticipation of recoil (which with throw your shots off), and you may also be more sensitive to recoil if you stage the trigger. I remember when I first got my PF9 I would be shaking and wondering how this little gun could kick so much after only a few dozen rounds. Now, I don't even notice and can put box after box of ammo through it without pain or fatigue. You don't want to "snap" the trigger when firing, but you don't want to "stage" it either. Either of these poor techniques will throw your shots way off the mark.
Staging the trigger may appropriate for some kinds of target shooting or hunting with some guns, but it is totally wrong for a SD gun. For starters, staging the trigger could cause the gun to to fire before intended. Once you have determined that shooting is the appropriate response, a DA trigger should be pulled quickly and smoothly straight through. It takes some practice, but that is how you should practice with with a DA trigger on a SD pistol like a KT, Glock, etc.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
@TexasCajun: As I am trying to practice that quick and smooth pull with my PF-9 with a snap cap, I noticed that there are times the front sight flicks to the right a little bit.. Is that normal for a newbie?:confused:
I am using that grip that I read in the P11/P40 forum where the right hand pushes and the left hand pulls(the right hand is my dominant hand). About 3 of 5 the front sight barely moves but 2 of 5, it flicks to the right..

·
Administrator
31,979 Posts
Interesting... For right handers, tendency is usually to shoot low and left. It takes practice.

·
Premium Member
15,000 Posts
That can happen if you have too much finger on the trigger, like the last joint. Try just using the pad of your finger.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I took my PF9 out fir the first time and I maybe got 2-3 full clips without failures to eject. I had three different magazines and gave the gun a little CLP before shooting to the slide and barrel areas. Its a snappy gun but not bad for recoil, snappy with just a touch of trigger bite if your using the right part of your finger. Mine was easy to grip with a Hogue grip and no finger exstension on the magazines. But the damn thing was choking on the Remmington UMC 115. I did put 170 rounds total through it. 150 UMC, boatloads of FTE. I shot 20 Carbon +P JHP rounds just to see, snappier for sure, but should be managable for self defense. I am hoping it starts to want to eject more often. I was shooting with an experienced pistol shooter who was interested in the little Keltec. I turn my head to him and say "WTF, am I limp wristing?" He said "No your grip looks solid." Me "That's what I thought" I hope this gun gets better at ejecting in the next 150 rounds or its going back to mommy and I am going to be pissed. Gonna try some white box and maybe something else in hopes it works better.

·
Administrator
31,979 Posts
I took my PF9 out fir the first time... I did put 170 rounds total through it.
Especially with a new gun, I would clean it first. Also, that's a lot of rounds. If you are having FTE issues, they only get worse as the gun gets dirty. I'd clean it before that many.

I turn my head to him and say "WTF, am I limp wristing?" He said "No your grip looks solid." Me "That's what I thought"
Limpwristing is not about a death grip on the gun - more about not letting it "break your wrist" - bend at the elbow, not the wrist. Again, that many rounds from this ultralight 9 can also take it's toll on your form.
http://www.thektog.org/forum/showthread.php?t=235070

Gonna try some white box and maybe something else in hopes it works better.
I wouldn't. WWB does not have a great track record with these guns. The Fed 115 grain stuff from Walmart has been a good pick.

·
Registered
79 Posts
The federal ammo burns cleaner. Use it at the range. The winchester white box is dirty dont use it in a Pf9. I have shot the Hornady Zombie/critical defense, which are the same except for the color of the plug. Shoot a magazine or 2. That is what I use in my personal carry. Clean thoroughly after each use and grease liberaly. Good luck

·
Banned
43 Posts
The 1st time I went the 9mm was too much kick, the grip gave a sting. I was nervous so after 2 bullets i put it down, So before I went for 2nd go I ordered a handall grip & now it doesn't sting. Just remember if you stop to think, you probably just wounded the attacker & have to refocus & could be dead. Line-up with laser & keep pulling trigger until slide locks.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts