First P3AT

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by hpic55, Apr 9, 2009.

1. hpic55

hpic55 New Member

Apr 9, 2009
    I have been looking for a nice little gun to stick in my BP vest for work as a backup for some time now.  I researched the P3AT and the LCP.  Both guns are the size I wanted but given the customer service and the raves about the KelTec I decided to go with it.  

Well, I overpaid for the gun due to my location and LE being the only one who can get them.

So off to the range I go after the FB job I read about on this forum.  I only had one old box of remanufactured ammo so I could only shoot 50 rounds. I know this is no torture test but its all I had.  

Let me say that shooting the gun was surprising. It was more accurate than I had hoped for and there was not one failure with the weapon.  Again I know only 50 rnds but I was happay as could be.  The trigger was about 5 lbs but smooooth as my G22!

The pic is from my phone but it was 10rnds at 10 yards and given the group I got for the first time shooting it I had to get a pic.  It look less than 10 rnds but they are there trust me! I shot two handed combat stance not as fast as I could pull the trigger but as fast as I could get the sights back on then press.

[​IMG]

Plus 1 for the P3AT!!!

Semper Fi
    1*

2. wizard92

wizard92 Active Member

Feb 18, 2009
    Florida
    Now you dun it 55!
    Nice Shootin!!!
    Back to the LGS for a PF9, S2K etc............................................

3. 2thman

2thman New Member

Jan 16, 2009
    Very impressive. Congrats on a good purchase. Even if you overpaid, you'll never regret buying the 3AT.

4. pedro

pedro New Member

May 28, 2008
    My guess is you paid the going rate for a LEO only gun in let me guess....California? I bet there aren't a lot of kel-tec owners out there. Too bad really. It sounds like you're happy with your new BUG. Nice shootin', keep it up and keep the rails greased.

;)

5. kgwld1

kgwld1 New Member

Apr 1, 2009
    Just got mine today and fired it. Who cares about the price as long as you like it.

6. kgwld1

kgwld1 New Member

Apr 1, 2009
    Just got mine today and fired it. Who cares about the price as long as you like it.

7. Axeman

Axeman New Member

Oct 13, 2004
    Your group looks better than the three I shot yesterday, but I didn't have a camera handy so you'll have to take my word for mine.

After getting my relatively new P3AT broke in I wanted to see how accurately I could shoot it offhand  as fast as I could get back on  the target at a reasonable SD distance.  So I set up a target board in front of my homemade pine log backstop, pinned on some paper targets and began firing my 100 grain lead bullet handloads. I fired offhand at 25 measured feet from the targets holding with my strong hand only and firing 5 round magazines as fast as I could recover from recoil and get back on target with the primitive sights. I am very short on factory ammo and I don't want to shoot up my stash of lead bullets until I know I can get more, so I only fired 3-  five shot groups. The 1st magazine went into a 2-1/2" group with 3 holes in the black and 2 in the white. The 2nd group put 5 holes in a 3-1/2" group, all 5 in the white centered about 2" above the black bullseye. The 3rd magazine was disappointing with only 3 holes in the white and the other two shots off the paper. The 3 on paper were grouped, if you want to call it a group, in a vertical string just right of the black bull with about 2" between each hole. I don't have an explanation or excuse for the 3rd group, I don't know what went wrong.  But even with the one very poor group, if the targets had been bad guys I think I would have put 5 out of 5 bullets in roughly center of bad-guy  with the first 2 magazines and 3 out of 5 with the 3rd magazine.  Of course I was shooting at unarmed paper, and I'm sure that I would not have done nearly as well if the paper had been a bad guy who also had a gun.

The best news is that the gun hasn't had a hangup of any kind since the 2nd shot I fired from the new gun. That round was a HydroShok which stove-piped instead of ejecting. I have fired about 140 rounds total since new and since that one stovepipe jam it has functioned perfectly.  I am saving 12 Hydroshoks for carry ammo and reloading 150 empty cases with some 100 grain lead bullets I bought online. I had been reading on KTOG for several months about the many problems owners were having with Keltecs and was hesitant to buy one until they became scarce. Now I wish I had bought mine sooner before the ammo shortage.

8. Engineer

Engineer New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Looks great! Picked up my third P-3AT today - these are great guns!

9. Speedyfish

Speedyfish New Member

Mar 7, 2009
    I think I overpaid for my P3AT here in FLA, too. I'm happy with its performance, but my dept. mandates a certain ammo for on duty BUG carry. I had three FTE's in about 75 break-in rounds. What were you shooting, hipic55?

10. hpic55

hpic55 New Member

Apr 9, 2009
    I live in the great state of MASS where it is illegal to do anything but smoke weed.

I was at our new range that is in the process of being built. (going slow)

Stay safe brother.

Semper Fi
    1*