Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Happy New Year Everyone. Shot my P3AT shortly after midnight [ had to do the kiss thing with the oldlady first ] and I'm happy to report 7 trouble free rounds of 95 gr fmj Fiocchi.

Hope everyone has a great 2007

·
Registered
185 Posts
It's a little late for this  :eek: but seeing your first post reminded me (not saying you did this, bigdaddyv10).

If anyone out there ever plans to shoot your gun in the air (please do us all a favor and don't, but, if you absolutely must) point it straight up in the air. Straight. Not angled. Straight. According to my sources, the bullet's velocity, when shot straight up, will be much less lethal than if you shoot at an angle.

That said, I hope no one really feels led to do the "wild west shoot your gun in the air like you just don't care thing."

·
Registered
297 Posts
g27_mengi said:
Straight. According to my sources, the bullet's velocity, when shot straight up, will be much less lethal than if you shoot at an angle.
Gravity is a constant rate per second, so wouldn't the higher up you shoot increase the speed/velocity at which it returned to earth? ???

·
Registered
137 Posts
It's a New Years tradition in Richmond, sometimes with fatal results ( I think we had one last year that's yet to be solved, but don't hold me to that) , and a number of years ago, drug dealers used the noise to mask the murder of an informer in his own home).

I was at the scene and you woulnd't believe the brass and spent shotgun shells in the street.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
g27_mengi said:
It's a little late for this  :eek: but seeing your first post reminded me (not saying you did this, bigdaddyv10).

If anyone out there ever plans to shoot your gun in the air (please do us all a favor and don't, but, if you absolutely must) point it straight up in the air. Straight. Not angled. Straight. According to my sources, the bullet's velocity, when shot straight up, will be much less lethal than if you shoot at an angle.

That said, I hope no one really feels led to do the "wild west shoot your gun in the air like you just don't care thing."
Nope I did not , I live on 3 acres in the country and pointed in a safe direction at a slight angle toward soft ground. Though I can't say for sure where the neighbors were pointing theirs. :eek: :-/

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
brett30030 said:
Gravity is a constant rate per second, so wouldn't the higher up you shoot increase the speed/velocity at which it returned to earth? ???
If gravity is constant, why would something falling from a higher location affect it's speed? ;) A bullet falling from 2 miles up, will be just as fast as one falling from 1 mile up. They will both reach the same velocity (terminal velocity).

Also, it's not just gravity that you need to take into account. If you shoot a bullet, straight up into the air, it is eventually going to lose it's forward momentum, and gravity will be the only force pulling on it.

However, a bullet shot at an angle maintains much of it's spin and velocity, even as gravity pulls it back to earth.

Mythbuster's did an episode on this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MythBusters_(season_3)#Bullets_Fired_Up

In the case of a bullet fired at a precisely vertical angle (something extremely difficult for a human being to duplicate), the bullet would tumble, lose its spin, and fall at a much slower speed due to terminal velocity and is therefore rendered less than lethal on impact. However, if a bullet is fired upward at a non-vertical angle (a far more probable possibility), it will maintain its spin and will reach a high enough speed to be lethal on impact. Because of this potentiality, firing a gun into the air is illegal in most states, and even in the states that it is legal, it is not recommended by the police. Also the MythBusters were able to identify two people who had been injured by falling bullets, one of them fatally injured. To date, this is the only myth to receive all three ratings at the same time.
Pay special attention to the underlined part. They found that for the bullet to lose it's forward momentum/velocity, the gun needed to be pointed directly up, which they found very hard to do. IF the bullet is shot at an angle other than STRAIGHT UP, it basically travels on a huge curve, still maintaining some of it forward velocity.

Unless you have something to verify that you are shooting exactly, precisely straight up, it's not a good idea. Shoot some blanks, or shoot into some soft ground in a safe direction.

P.S. This is a pic of the bullet (.45 JHP) that landed a few feet from my brother this New Year's Eve:

He was working that night (firefighter). Him and some of the other guys walked outside at midnight to listen to all the guns go off, and 2 bullets, both .45 JHP's, landed very close to them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.