First Impressions

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by mjoplin, Nov 21, 2010.

1. mjoplin

mjoplin New Member

Nov 21, 2010
    Picked up a new P3AT from Tomball Pawn and Gun in Tomball, Texas a couple of weeks ago with the intent of using it as a daily carry.  I've had zero past experience with Kel-Tec, but it came highly recomended by a good friend.  It is a new unit, in gray with a black slide.  Purchase price of $269.00.

Based off online reviews I was unsure what to expect at the first trip to the range.  Prior to the trip to the range, I gave it a thorough cleaning with the requisite Hoppes 9 and a light lube with Outers oil.

I ran 100 rounds through it today, 50 Sellier and Bellot 92 grain FMJ and 50 PMC 90 grain FMJ.  Very pleased to have had zero issues with either, no FTFs or FTEs at all!  It was my first time with something this small and with the exception of the first 3 or 4 rounds I kept everything within a 4 to 6" grouping at about 5 and 10 yards which was well beyond my expectations!

The trigger pull definitely threw me for a loop.  Even though I'd dry fired it a few times prior to the range, it really takes some getting used to.  I didn't find the recoil to be too bad at all, but the trigger guard is a bit rough on the finger.  My intention is to try to smooth out the plastic on the inside of the guard with some emory cloth.  The trigger itself didn't bother me, which was counter to some posts I'd seen in researching the gun.

The ammo was purchased from www.ammotogo.com, the S&B for $11.95 and the PMC for $13.95 for a box of 50.  The PMC was dirty, the S&B definitely proved to be the better ammunition in my opinion.  

Overall, I am very satisfied with the gun and it will be my daily carry with a Blackhawk size 2 pocket holster loaded with Hornady Critical Defense hollow points I'd picked up at ammotogo.com for $19.95/box of 25.  

Very happy with the gun and a new P3AT fan now!

2. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    welcome to KTOG.

sounds like a good first impression.
    (going a 100 rounds is pushing it though) ;)

however, if you were impressed, wait till you carry it for a few weeks. In a good holster it feels less than a set of car keys

3. Mike_OD

Mike_OD New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    We (wife & I) purchased a new P-3AT about a month ago and have shot more than 200 rounds of the S&B 92 grain FMJ without any problems  -- seems to be very good ammo.  The trigger pull does take a little time to get used to, but overall we are very pleased with the accuracy and performance.

4. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Congrats on your P3AT. It is an amazing littlle pocket rocket. I'd test the Hornady ammo before relying on it much. Not because we've seen a few issues with it, we have, but I'd say the same for any SD ammo. Welcome to KTOG. :cool:

5. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Welcome to KTOG!

Continued good luck with your new P3AT. As much as you reasonably can practice with it like your're likely to use it in a SD situation.

Bill K.

6. oldgranpa

oldgranpa New Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Got to love threads like this!! :cool:

7. jonnin

jonnin Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2010
    S&B ammo is great for practice. I have used thousands of rounds of it over the years, mostly in makarov and now in 380, with a few other boxes of it here and there. It almost always fires (every cheap ammo has a few duds, but very few with S&B), and seems to be a quality product at a good price.

Note that a lot of people are calling it Lellier because the fancy S on the package looks like an L. Its the same stuff.

8. mjoplin

mjoplin New Member

Nov 21, 2010
    Called Kel-Tec this morning just out of curiosity and got in touch with Mike in service who was good enough to provide me with the manufacturing date of my new acquisition. KSDxx was born 6/22/2010. Continue to be very pleased with the purchase and carry it daily!

9. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    thanks for the serial number/date manufactured. I added your info to the few in this FAQ/VIP