Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up the first of two P3AT's yesterday. Did a quick check for burrs and polished the feed ramp and a couple other parts. Ran to the gun range this morning. I shot a handful of Silver Bear and 3 different hand loads. On failure to fed with Silver Bear and one failure to eject with a handload.Over all I'm very pleased.Definitely not the finish of a PPK, but this ain't no beauty contest. Buddy pointed out that it would be tough to shoot with gloves on because of the trigger guard. Now I need a holster.

Tom
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,605 Posts
Only two hiccups with a brand new gun? That's pretty good.
Definitely not the finish of a PPK,
Did you get the blued version? Yeah, KTs doesn't have the best finish like some others out there but hopefully with it concealed no one will notice.
Buddy pointed out that it would be tough to shoot with gloves on because of the trigger guard.
Some people report the trigger biting into their finger when they shoot. This isn't a problem for me but I saw my friend get a nice little blister.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
235 Posts
I cut a piece of high grade surgical tubing from an old stethoscope and slipped it on the trigger. It's thin enough not to catch on anything and hasn't budged yet in over 300 rounds. I think it softens the felt whack even more than the rubber grip (which I also have) and serves as a decent trigger stop as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not too concerned about the finish. Of the dozens of guns I own, might be two beauty queens in the racks. Can always invest in a can of Duracoat. I found the gun rather comfortable to shoot, plenty accurate and great to carry. I've got to have the wife shoot it when she gets home from NYC. "Nana's in da hood' for a couple of days. We'll be picking her P3AT up next week. She does not like recoil, kind of interested in her opinion.

Tom
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
32,148 Posts
timewrench said:
I shot a handful of Silver Bear and 3 different hand loads.
From the owner's manual:

Only use commercially manufactured ammunition, clean, dry and in good condition. Never use non-standard, reloaded or damaged cartridges.
FYI, KT considers standard ammo to be brass-cased. They, and most folks here, will not recommend steel-cased ammo (Silver Bear) in these guns. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Guess I should read the owners manual. Probably a lot of lawyer talk, but quite undestandable with the steel cased stuff. Hard to not shoot reloads, especially with the ammo situation the way it is.

Tom
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
The P3AT's are awesome guns however they only like to eat brass. Unlike my beaters FEG PJK -9HP (100% True BHP clone) , Beretta 92fs and Glock 17 which will eat anything including the kitchen sink my P3ATs will not. Some advise for your new toys...
Lesions I have learned:

1) My Kel-Tec P-3AT is ammo sensitive and I suspect a lot of people in this board have had similar issues. Never use anything but brass ammo.
2) The “Fluff and Buff” works very well every Kel-Tec should have one done. In addition each time I clean my P-3AT I also note where the wear is showing up and adjust the occlusion/wear accordingly with my dremal.
3) I love my +1 mag extensions, the extra round is awesome and makes grip better in my hands, and this is an advantage over the LCP in my opinion.
4) I have a Gen. 2 so at every cleaning I tighten the extractor bolt.
5) When changing magazines I always manually press down the mag-catch as to save on the plastic mag-catch wear.

Hope this helps,
Mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
257 Posts
I've only got about 150rds through my p3at, after a F&B.
Finally got to try some of my reloads, 95gr FMJ FN, OAL .965, not a single problem. I'm a happy camper.
Also shot some Federal American Eagle FMJ, no problems at all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
My P3AT is a real stinger to shoot, the recoil drives my trigger finger into the inside of the trigger guard, which was like sandpaper until I sanded it down. It's better now, but I always put a bandaid on my trigger finger at the range. My fun-shooting gun is the Beretta PX4 subcompact... and hopefully soon a Ruger MKIII I'm buying for the wife if I can find one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,497 Posts
abq_sfr said:
My P3AT is a real stinger to shoot, the recoil drives my trigger finger into the inside of the trigger guard, which was like sandpaper until I sanded it down. It's better now, but I always put a bandaid on my trigger finger at the range. My fun-shooting gun is the Beretta PX4 subcompact... and hopefully soon a Ruger MKIII I'm buying for the wife if I can find one.
Hey ABQ, you might check out a mk II. It would be used, but many here and elseware like it better. The lawers had not gotten to it as much. Mag release is on the butt, but then, it ain't a SD gun. No one who has shot mine has not said "wow, nice little gun" or sumpfin to that effect.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,494 Posts
timewrench said:
Picked up the first of two P3AT's yesterday. Did a quick check for burrs and polished the feed ramp and a couple other parts. Ran to the gun range this morning. I shot a handful of Silver Bear and 3 different hand loads. On failure to fed with Silver Bear and one failure to eject with a handload.Over all I'm very pleased.Definitely not the finish of a PPK, but this ain't no beauty contest. Buddy pointed out that it would be tough to shoot with gloves on because of the trigger guard. Now I need a holster.

Tom
Yeah why don't you try to run some commercial ammo, (if you can find some) through it for a real evaluation and no steel, let us know how it works out.

Tom j.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top