Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Just purchased my first gun and decided to go with the KSG. I went to a gun show about 3 weeks ago with the intentions to purchase an AR and stumbled across this beautiful piece of equipment. I didn't want to purchase a gun I had no idea about so I stumbled across this forum and been reading through various of threads.

So I purchased the gun used and wanted to know what I should do before taking it out to the range. Any input negative or positive would be appreciated.

Thanks Firearm Gun Trigger Shotgun Air gun
Table Furniture Gas Machine

Attachments

·
Registered
861 Posts
There are plenty of threads on here that cover the characteristics of your KSG. Before you shoot her check the rail were the vertical core grip is attached, look for cracks or deformation. This shotgun requires a robust cycling of the action to work properly so that attachment has been a point of failure on some guns. Consider getting the metal adaptor for the bottom rail it is cheap insurance. Read through the posts here. As a new shooter I strongly suggest you find someone to mentor you in the way of the gun. It's easy to be safe but the thing about what you don't know is you don't know you don't know. If you have no friends or family to help you consider taking a safety course.
Enjoy you new shotgun, you certainly jumped in with both feet for your first gun, most start out with a 22...........be safe.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Welcome - I'll use what I wrote for another member showing some of the basics:

The KSG manual can be found online in this forum, and check the FAQ section.
First thing before going to the range is to get to know the manual of arms for the KSG using either no rounds or dummy rounds: loading the magazines, magazine selection, racking deliberately all the way back and forward, hand positioning and firing, then racking out the spent rounds. A common issue is short shucking; the last .25-.50" of movement in the slide forwards and backwards is very important.
I'd know how to go through the basic field strip and reassembly, also just to give the gun a check to make sure everything is working.
I would have at least some kind of hand index or hand stop on the front if it doesn't have that already.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Congratulations! The best field strip video that I found right after the manual to help you out is this link below. The more you see the more you learn about weapon handling. Enjoy

[ame]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WlYRoRJ1a2A[/ame]

·
Registered
238 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

The KSG was a GREAT choice IMO. My first gun was a KSG as well, so here's what i did.

- For about a year (yes a year) before purchase I had been reading every online article and forum discussion about the KSG and I watched every Youtube video I could find. I knew the in's and out's before I ever touched it.

- I ordered these dummy shells:

https://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Arm...8&qid=1489159575&sr=8-2&keywords=dummy+shells

a trigger lock, and a case before I picked up the KSG.

- As soon as I got home from the dealer I did a few full disassemble/reassembles along with this video:

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaLH1KmCJws[/ame]

- I then spent some time with the dummy shells loading, firing, unloading, cycling, etc.

- I then bought some ammo and went to the range. One of the range officers had a KSG so he talked me through the operation a bit (just reinforced what I had already seen) and he watched me fire a few rounds.

Since then I've put mini shells, slugs, buck, bird, and any other kind of shot I could find. I've even used it shooting clays.

I'm not a fan of the vertical foregrip, so you may want to consider removing it while you get used to the basic operation of the gun.

I'd recommend looking for an NRA safety class (or something similar) at a local range.

ENJOY!

·
Registered
313 Posts
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"

-George Washington

Go out and shoot. Enjoy yourself and Shoot slugs. Get used to full recoil. Dont start off with woosie loads. I say dont tear it apart. You dont need a lot of tear down to clean and oil. I think a lot of the little bit ches out there sh-it talking the KSG when out and tore it all apart before even knowing what they were doing. Messed it up. Then whined cause it wouldnt work.

Learn the action. Take !!! inert snap caps. !!!! And the pistol grip off. Load the gun and slide the slide back and watch how it feeds. Learn that all the action occurs at the last 3/4" of travel. The rest of the travel it to toss the hulls from and load the gun. But that last little bit makes having a new bang. Or a empty barrel.

Get a bore snake with brushes built into it. Dont go kungfu on cleaning. Its a shotgun. I got ???...750-800 rounds thru mine. In the last year. 250 the year before. Cleaned it twice complete tear down in 2-1/2-3 yrs.

Get use to the weight. Its not a 1ounce ar15. Its a 8-1/2 to 9 pound baby. And a lot of whinny bitches out there complain "its too heavy". I like the weight. Its light. But heavy. 12ga is heavy. Its very versatile. But limited in a lot of respects. But fu-cking powerful in a lot of other ways a 5.56 or .308 are not.

I am a big slug guy. Where others are super big on buckshot. But slugs to me are a 1oz impact delivering full inertia verse 1 / 9th the inertia of buck shot.

I say shoot it. Figure out what it likes to eat and you can afford to feed it.

12ga is fairly pricy. But its a solid investment. Watch gun trader or online sales of bulk. And stock up.

One box of 15 from Walmart isnt stocked up. But. If you just plan to closet the ksg then its more then plenty.

I figure every weapon you own you should have enough ammo for it to fight for three engagements. The US Army history records for engagements for the last 80yrs has average engagements at 75-120 rounds. With most modern being fewer. Because of close fire support. But for a average person. That should be plenty for a good while.

If you are a prepper. You'll do what you will. If your practical. You'll look at it that way too. If your a hobbyist. Then i hope you have a blast. And don't anticipate the recoil. Let it push you. Don't fight it. It will throw off your aim. The KSG is a fun shotgun. And get a limb-saver recoil pad. It helps.

Oh. And don't load it or aim it if you aren't ready to shoot something. Its a weapon. It will kill or harm sh-it if you mistreat it. Kinda like a that crazy x wife.

Poster Font Photo caption Kilt Games

Attachments

·
Registered
598 Posts
I'm not a fan of the vertical foregrip, so you may want to consider removing it while you get used to the basic operation of the gun.
I like my Magpul stubby VFG. Had them on both my KSG's. I also added a Carlson Comps Enforcer for the extension of the barrel. Search online for the photos of the KSG hamburger hand to see why you need to know where the end of the barrel is at all times!!

I have never disassembled either of my KSG's and have never had any issues with them. It would be nice to know which generation the breakdown videos are for. I believe the Gen I is different from the Gen II. Mini slugs are my favorite and are les brutal than the Winchester Super-X 000 buck...LOL

·
Registered
1 Posts
Congratulations! The best field strip video that I found right after the manual to help you out is this link below. The more you see the more you learn about weapon handling. Enjoy

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WlYRoRJ1a2A
Enrico,

I'm a first time gun owner and I jumped in with both feet and purchased a KSG too. This video is on point, now I look forward to cleaning it, instead of dreading to break it down and cleaning it. Any suggestions on cleaning products and how often it should be cleaned? Thank's in advance!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hi Dajakika,

Tons of products are available to you, but for me Ballistol cuts it and I clean it after each run. Now if you shot weekly you can skip couple of cleanings.

[ame]https://m.youtube.com/watch?sns=em&v=0SYKxCacmFQ[/ame]

·
Registered
313 Posts
Locktight! I forgot to say. Use the correct tools! Snug tight but don't over tighten. And use locktight.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Hey guys,

Just purchased my first gun and decided to go with the KSG. I went to a gun show about 3 weeks ago with the intentions to purchase an AR and stumbled across this beautiful piece of equipment. I didn't want to purchase a gun I had no idea about so I stumbled across this forum and been reading through various of threads.

So I purchased the gun used and wanted to know what I should do before taking it out to the range. Any input negative or positive would be appreciated.

Thanks View attachment 27850 View attachment 27851
Nice paint!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.