First Generation P3AT Parts - HELP

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by grigs68, Jul 8, 2009.

1. grigs68

grigs68 New Member

Jul 8, 2009
    I lost the ejector, part #115, for my first generation P3AT.  I contacted Kel-Tec via email and they were very nice about sending another one right out.  I received it a few days later but it was for the later model and would not fit mine.  I then called and told them the problem.  Once again they were great about sending the part right out but again…it was for the newer version.  Ok….once is understandable but twice is questionable.  I then called them again and like before, they were very nice and mailed the part to me but, once again, it was for the newer version.  On the last time I even sent them a link to an online picture of the part I needed.  The first gen P3AT ejector does not look much like the newer ones so I am really confused on how this keeps happening.  I am confident they know what I need but keep sending the newer one.  Is there another place where I can get the part other than Kel-Tec?  This was my main conceal carry gun and it has been needing the part for about 3 weeks now.  I don’t mind paying for it, I just want to be able to get the right part.

FYI…my serial number is H1K3# and the production date was Sep 2003.  Think somewhere on this site there is a post that keeps track of these so just offering that up for general info.

Thanks for reading my post and any help you can offer me will be greatly appreciated.  

2. PshootR

PshootR Banned

Apr 1, 2005
    Well, I learned something new today.

I just checked my 1st Gen and my 2nd Gen and part #115 is different between the two. They may no longer have 1st Gen parts available. I would call them at 321-631-0068 and ask for the service department, not the parts department and explain your problem.

Unfortunately, email is not always a successful method of communicating with Kel-Tec

3. carmike442

carmike442 New Member

Sep 14, 2004
    I didn't know they were different either. Better be careful not to lose mine. After 6 years you would think I'd know better but I still had to hunt for it last time I cleaned it.

4. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    thanks, i added it here
    http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1143766924/0#0

5. grigs68

grigs68 New Member

Jul 8, 2009
    I will try your suggestion and contact the service department tomorrow and try my luck there.  As many of these guns that are out there and as easy as that part is to lose you would think they would still have those parts available.  However, if my luck on this falls along the same lines as my luck, or lack there of, on everything else, I may have a like new Kel-Tec that is 99% complete…and therefore worthless.  

Are there any other places to buy Kel-Tec parts other than from Kel-Tec?

6. gpr

gpr New Member

Jan 6, 2005
    north palm beach
    if you run into issues calling kt...pm your address and i will mail you one...gpr

7. pocketgun

pocketgun New Member

May 4, 2005
    The problem is that you don't really understand the part you are asking for.

The first design of the ejector had a projection off the top, and came out with the First Gen pistol.  Later in the First Gen production run, they came out with a new design with a flat top - this is the part they keep sending you.  When the Second Gen came out, they used the same ejector from the First Gen (the latter, flat version).  

So you see, there really isn't a First Gen vs Second Gen ejector.  The early ejectors would only fit in the First Gen pistols, whereas the late ejectors would fit and work in either pistol, but were a First Gen part.  

I suspect the late design was created to save on mfg costs.  The late model is easier to machine, but it also saves the step of machining the groove in the slide to accommodate it.  Just my private theory, however.

In any event, I very much doubt they even have any of the early ejectors still lying around.  So install the ejector you have and you are good to go.  Now you have spares, too.

8. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    You are most likely trying to put it in the wrong way. Keep trying. It only fits one way. You'll get there. ;D

9. PshootR

PshootR Banned

Apr 1, 2005
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Old style ejector is on the left in both pics.

1st Gen frame cut-our measures .321"
    2nd Gen frame cut-out measures .341

The corresponding measurement for the ejector is:

1st Gen ejector .315"
    2nd Gen ejector .332"

As you can see a .332" ejector is not going to fit into a .321" frame cut-out.

Serial numbers are:

First Gen 0021xx
    2nd Gen HFR xx

10. grigs68

grigs68 New Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Thank you all for your comments.

Pocketgun: I did not realize that the first gen had two different ejectors and that makes sense on why they keep sending me the newer version. However, the newer ejectors will not fit the older guns. They are too wide.

PshootR: Thank you for the pics! I tried to post some but could not figure out how to do it. And also thanks for pointing out to the others that the newer ones will not fit the older guns like mine. Well…with a big hammer they might…but don’t think that is the correct answer.

gpr: Thank you so much for the offer. I am trying one more time talking to them and if no luck I would appreciate it very much if you have the part or know where I can get one.

If they only made the old style ejectors for a short period of time then I may be out of luck on finding a replacement. That is too bad since my gun has not been used that much and now I assume it is worthless. I just spoke to Kel-Tec again on the phone and the person said they would look into this and call me back. I will keep you posted. The people there are very friendly so hopefully I will be able to report back with good news.

11. Grizzly

Grizzly New Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Hampton,Georgia
    Please let us know what they say. If this part is scarce and they have them I need to get one for mine in case it breaks.

12. grigs68

grigs68 New Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Will do. I will post back when I talk to them again......and then again if/when I finally get the part in to see if it is the right one. They readily admit that this part was easy to lose as it will fall out during cleaning so I am thinking, or maybe just hoping, that they will stock these for a long time to come.

13. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    So long as you are the original owner, lifetime warranty means lifetime warranty. Assuming they don't have your part, the worst case senario would require that you send the gun in for service. Possibly, they could cut-out (modify) the ejector slot in your frame to accept the larger one. They could also replace the frame with a current one that fits current ejectors or replace the pistol with a new 2nd gen gun. I don't think they'll leave you out in the cold. They are pretty good folks. ;)

14. Grizzly

Grizzly New Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Hampton,Georgia
    I agree they are good folks. I would consider modifying or replacing my HC Gen1 a last resort. I don't like the looks of the Gen2 extractor spring as much.

15. grigs68

grigs68 New Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Just spoke to them again. They are really nice people. Good news is that they are sending out both types they have and I can see if either will work. Bad news is, there was a short period of production that did use a diff ejector and if mine is from that batch, neither may fit and I will have to send the gun in as they do not have any for that batch. From talking to them today I am now thinking they were sending Gen One ejectors to me all along but not the one I need for my gun. So far they continue to be very nice and responsive and I truly hope that continues. I miss my gun! I think I have gotten spoiled. Everything else feels heavy now.

Will keep you informed when I get the parts and if they work.

Again, thanks for you comments.

16. Grizzly

Grizzly New Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Hampton,Georgia
    Thanks, Was it a sweet sounding young woman you spoke with?

17. grigs68

grigs68 New Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Yes....she did sound sweet. If she sends me what I need she will sound even sweeter.

18. Grizzly

Grizzly New Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Hampton,Georgia
    She will I have dealt with her a few times in the last few weeks.

19. Dugger

Dugger New Member

Jun 9, 2009
    Griggs68 do not know where you live but I do some restoration of old firearms and have hac good look at Bob's Gun Shop in Royal Arkansas, you might google him and see if he has the part. If you don't want to send it in to be fixed. Good Luck

20. grigs68

grigs68 New Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Hi Dugger. I live in Seabrook, Texas so not close to Arkansas but always good to have a contact for someone to try for the part if I can't get it form Kel-Tec. Thanks for the suggestion.