First failure to feed

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by gvaldeg1, May 10, 2008.

1. gvaldeg1

gvaldeg1 New Member

Feb 8, 2008
    Yesterday I had my first failure to feed on my P3AT.  It was on the second round of a full load (7 rounds) of Buffalo Bore 90 gr Gold Dots.  I pulled the slide back a little and released it and the round chambered OK.  This led me to think that maybe I limp wristed the round.  It's a rather new 2nd gen (S/N JNQXX) gun with less than 100 rounds through it.  It works great with 88 gr UMC JHPs but I know that they don't expand when fired in the P3AT so I got some Buffalo Bores for defense.  I dunno...maybe I just need to concentrate on not limp wristing with the BBs.  I don't feel that the recoil is very bad but I keep hearing on here that limp wristing is common with the BBs.  What do you guys think?  I'm getting older (72 next month) so my wrists probably aren't as stout as they used to be.  (I had a FTF in my 1911 a few month ago with 230 gr Hydrashoks and that was the first FTF I'd ever had in a couple thousand rounds in that gun so maybe it was a limp wrist too.  I guess that it can happen with any automatic and I have heavy recoil springs in my combatized 1911 clone.)  What do you think?  Can I trust the P3AT for primary carry.  It's hot here in Arizona and the P3 is great for concealed carry.  BTW, I have not done a F&B on it.  It was doing so well on UMC 88 gr JHPs that I thought that I had a P3 that would work right out of the box.

2. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    how recent was the last clean and lube?  dirty and dry could contribute too

also, how recent was the last magazine disassembly?  with a full magazine, if the magazine spring was not seated proper the follower would hesitate and contribute also

and it just shows the importance of knowing how to be able to clear a problem instintivly. I'm no self defence guru, but my practice response would be "rack another round, bump the back of the slide

3. norton

norton New Member

Jan 25, 2008
    In my limited experience with mine (500 rounds), I think it maybe lubrication.
    I would lube the rails and the area which contacts the hammer. Originally, I used nothing but Break Free for the entire gun. However, I had two FTF in 50 rounds after break in. I then decided to try some grease on the hammer/ slide contact area.
    No problems. I shot it Thursday, another 50 rounds of assorted ammo, not a
    hiccup.
    I have fallen in love with this little thing, it's with me most of the time while my 45 sits home.
    Norton

4. alamo

alamo New Member

Sep 12, 2004
    It doesn't sound like limpwristing to me. I'm with the others, your pistol still has less than 100 rounds through it. Give it a good cleaning and lube and try again.

5. gvaldeg1

gvaldeg1 New Member

Feb 8, 2008
    Thanks for the info!  I cleaned and lubed it just before I took it out shooting but I've just been using Hoppe's gun oil on the rails and hammer (where it contacts the slide).  Maybe I need something heavier like a gun grease.  The Hoppe's oil puts a very light coat on things. What grease should I get and where can I find it?