Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sooo, shot the PLR 16 for the first time today, complete disaster. Picked up the first round and shot, picked up the second round, shot, failed to eject, caught in the extractor. Has to wiggle it free and pry it out from the mag well. Tied again, same, abandoned the factory 10 round mag, installed Magpull 25 rounder, same, took that Magpull out and installed in the AR-15 and it shot flawlessly. Tried again on the PLR, no go, same result. Left it alone. shoot everything else all day.
I know it's not off by much, but I'm unsure where to start....cleaned assembly grease off and lubed before shooting.
Will tear it apart later in the week, after I clean all the guns that worked.
I'll take all the suggestions you guys have, thanks.

·
Registered
100 Posts
It is possible it just needs to get broke in. Mine was rough but smoothed out fairly soon.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After taking the Bolt Carrier Group out and taking it apart, I found that one of the small roll pins, the one that holds the extractor rod (?), was sticking up a little, so I hammered it back at least flush with the body of the bolt. Wouldn't run but one shot the other day, just banged out 5 fast shots in the back yard.
Think I may have fixed it, way cool.
IMG_0533.JPG
Want to love this thing, so far, meh.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After taking the PLR apart about a dozen times, messing with anything that had witness marks for sliding, lightly sanding some things on the BCG, some feed ramp smoothing, lubing everything up wet as hell, and running the action by hand like 84 thousand times..... I've got the PLR running on every trigger pull now, whew. Just in the back yard, mind you, so just some partial mag dumps to check cycling. Going out to my friends place where we can shoot up to 100 yards, or down to 5 feet, whatever the flavor of the day. Will shoot all of my Kel Tec's , PMR, CMR, PLR, should be a smooth day, hopefully. Will report back, get some target pics, and firing at the home made range.

·
Super Moderator
9,954 Posts
I remember being so stoked when I bought my PLR-16 (MANY years ago) that I almost wore it out taking it apart and putting it back together. It wasn't like any other firearm I had experienced. I even did the blindfolded reassembly thing to test myself.

If you're cycling the action to facilitate the wear-in process, it'd be better to clean the moving parts with a cleaner that removes the trace oil (make sure it's a polymer safe solvent) and then dry cycle the mechanism to polish the unlubricated parts on each other. After 200-500 cycles, clean the parts and lubricate them with a good synthetic lubricant. Like buddddduh! :)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Went to my friends house where we have a little range in his back yard, we have 25, 50, and 75 yards marked out, had the PLR out for a sight in on a new red dot. Had a hell of a time getting on paper at 25 yards to start, got that, moved back to 50 yards, and what a fun gun to shoot. Had to wear gloves, the muzzle brake was not what I wanted, oh well, have several more. But, at 50 yards, hitting steel every time, braced, sitting, standing, was very pleased with the accuracy, might just leave that muzzle brake on.... We didn't move out to 75 yards, we where shooting 22's, LR and WMR, and it was windy and rainy, so we stayed at 50 yards. But the PLR fired with every pull of the trigger, shot probably 150 or more rounds, very successful day for the tiny .223, just was a blast to shoot, and watch other people shoot it.

·
Premium Member
2,540 Posts
Im glad you have a shooter. And A buddy with a range. My SU16 has impressed me in every way imaginable.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts