Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First thing that happened was the buffer wouldn't come out of the receiver tube. It was hung up on peening around the inside of the retaining pin holes. I pushed it on out and smoothed out the inside edges of the holes with a Riffler file. After that everything went normally. I used a 12 gauge brush with a piece of paper towel around it to clean the rear part of the receiver tube and just a toothbrush in the bolt area. A 9mm brush with a patch on it works in the spring bore in the buffer. A .45 brush works fine in the chamber and bore. I have started using a new product that is really working well. It's called 'Super Slick Stuff' and I got it at Lowe's. Says it's 'non-petroleum, non-wax and non-silicone'. It's a watery, clear liquid with only a mild citrus smell. It cuts carbon fouling instantly and is harmless to plastics. It will dry out but leaves a non-waxy lubricating film.
I'm in the process of selling some polished-blue vintage guns and the 'Stuff' did a beautiful job on them.
I suppose the receiver tube pin holes will continue to be problematic. If they are, I'll have to contact Kel Tec.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Thinking about it some more, I realized the assembly pin holes are not out of round and there are no marks on the pin. I'm starting to think it was not peening at all but burrs left from punching the holes in the receiver tube. Whatever, the burrs were removed and the buffer will fall out on disassembly. If it's still that way after the next range trip, I'll have my answer.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. That was helpful and it appears it is peening after all and a widespread problem. My first thought is a stronger recoil spring. I have heard of the heavier buffer which also could work. Probably some combination of the two would be ideal. But I'll let KT do the testing and let us know when a fix is available. Mine is sighted in so no more firing is really required. I have plenty of other things that need range time.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.