Firing pin screw

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by RV, Apr 4, 2008.

1. RV

RV New Member

Apr 4, 2008
    And another thing.
    After shooting many rounds at the range, I noticed the threads on the button head screw that holds everything together on a 2nd gen P-3AT slide were quite damaged where the firing pin hits it when I dry fire.
    Before you string me up, this only happens when I lose count at the range. If only the slide locked open.
    Thought of loading a snap cap in the mag first, but that's just one more thing to lose.
    So I filed off the bottom two threads on the screw, where the pin hits it. Now the threads aren't damaged and the screw is easy to remove when I want to really clean things.
    Now I really should learn to count better.
    RV

2. zeke

zeke New Member

Dec 20, 2005
    Watch you don't take too much off as it also holds the firing pin in place when the slide is off. I'm wondering if you removed the part that's buggered up it there is enough left to keep the firing pin in place.

3. RV

RV New Member

Apr 4, 2008
    I did not shorten the screw, just removed the threads down to the minor diameter.

4. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    same here

5. zeke

zeke New Member

Dec 20, 2005

Gotcha, I thought you meant length wise, not diameter. Never thought about doing that. I might have to give a try next time.