firing pin question

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by VectorFL, Sep 6, 2009.

1. VectorFL

VectorFL New Member

Aug 15, 2009
    My P-3AT is still fairly new to me and I'm still in the learning curve. I have my gun apart. With the slide in my hand, I can't move the firing pin. I'm thinking, with just the pin and spring, that I should be able to move it forward with resistance against the spring. So, my question is should the firing pin move freely in the slide? Also, how do I get the pin and spring out for servicing?

2. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    there should be a spring force pushing the spring towards hammer end of the slide.  So a deffinition of "freely" is needed.

I use the recoil rod to push the FP in .  there is about 2 to 3 pounds of spring force so No it is not free.  but with that expected spring force the pin should go in and return back out freely  ;)

Not to remove the FP, do you have a 1G or 2G.

the 2G has the button head screw that also retains the extractor.  so if you use a 2mm (5/64") allen key to back out that screw, the FP will pop out the hammer end of the slide with the spring force.

the 1G has an allen head set screw on top, back it out and the FP will also pop out

In the FAQ/VIP there is a post about disassembling the slide
    http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1142990160/0#0

3. VectorFL

VectorFL New Member

Aug 15, 2009
    Thank you very much, you solved my problem. I took this gun to the range yesterday. I brought it home and gave it a good cleaning. I had read somewhere on this site about the button head screw securing the extractor spring working its way loose with time, and read that one should use a drop of locktite. So I removed the screw and placed a drop of Permatex blue on the button head screw. When I screwed it back in, the cutout on the firing pin spun around and I screwed the screw directly to the firing pin and jammed it. Now that I have the screw and extractor spring out and the firing pin and spring out, I see how everything is supposed to work. I'm glad I found this now, instead of in a moment when I really needed it and I had the firing pin screwed tight. Lesson Learned.