firing pin problems

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by kane365, Sep 13, 2010.

1. kane365

kane365 New Member

Sep 13, 2010
    I got a problem with my p3at and was told u are the go 2 guys for anything keltec.
    ok i have a massive amount of misfires in my last 2 range trips. Im talking 15 to 23rds out of a 50rd box. I've tried different brands and types but i still have the problem. There are small dents in the primer but it want hard enough to set it off.
    Any clue to what it is?  :-?

2. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    do you have the original trigger, which, if pulled before full release, will drop the hammer, but not enough to fire and requires resetting the trigger by partially racking the slide
    or
    do you have the anti short stroke trigger, where if you pull it before full release, goes solid, which allows you to then full release and fire

3. kane365

kane365 New Member

Sep 13, 2010
    I have the original trigger.The only things i've done with it was F&B.

4. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    If you have the original trigger, are you trying to fire before you allow the trigger to return to the second click?

this is a very common problem since most auto loader shooters feel the first click and pull from there and think they get a misfire but have actually dropped the hammer block, which does hit the FP, but does not c o c k the hammer so it can hit with enough to fire

the new antii short stroke triggers should be in P3ATs with serial number greater than JRW00

this thread is in the FAQ/VIP thread
    http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1213838654/0#0

now if it is not short stroking, then maybe you need to clean your FP, which is something you should do anyway

5. kane365

kane365 New Member

Sep 13, 2010
    Probably. I was so focused on the sights and trying to hit the X that i was slowly pulling the trigger. The ccw teacher went through 7rds with no problem.

6. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    I guess the trigger control devolped for target/hunting is not what you want in a self defence situation and I try Not to use that technique.

Point, pull, BANG, release, repeat

7. Picatinny_Pete

Picatinny_Pete New Member

Sep 2, 2009
    Hi,

Generally the best and most reliable method forpulling the P3AT's trigger for me is to treat it as a revolver with a steady pull, and not stage it.   The triggers on P3AT's do get smoother though the more they are used, the P3AT 1st Generation I bought used has a smooth trigger pull.

Best Wishes: