Finished my pocket holster

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by jbabbler, Feb 26, 2011.

1. jbabbler

jbabbler New Member

Dec 27, 2008
    Last week I picked up some kydex at a local industrial supply house. It was very inexpensive. For a three 8.5"x11" sheets I paid $8 and some change. I started my first project with it last night. I needed a pocket holster for my P3at. I wanted something that would guard the trigger, have good retention yet be easy to remove if needed. I wanted something that would work IWB or in a pocket. I also wanted the holster to be something that, once installed would stay put if I tossed the gun in my gym bag or computer bag. This is what I came up with.

The gun snaps in to the holster. It is form fit to the gun and literally clamps around it with the tension of the kydex flexing to allow the gun to snap in and out. The hook serves two purposes. One, when I draw the gun from my pocket in a rearward movement it catches on the pocket and the the gun comes out while the holster stays in the pocket. Secondly, When in the open, I can hold the holster in my left hand with my index finger under the hook and draw the gun with my right.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The holster is open on the underside of the gun. When snapping the gun in or out the gap you see opens up a bit then closes back.
    [​IMG]

Retention is excellent. I can hang the gun from the hook and bounce it without it falling out.
    [​IMG]

I wore the holster around today in the pocket of my shorts. I tried it loose and with the clip. I prefer it loose and the shape of the holster kept the gun upright in my pocket. I also switched over to IWB with it for a while and it was perfect for the task. I'll try it in my back pocket as well on Monday.

All-in-all it took me about 45 minutes to make while I was watching TV with the fam.

2. Bilbo

Bilbo Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Very interesting.  What was the heat source you used?  How hot did the Kydex need to get?

3. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Nice! I do not however like the molding on the non-thigh side, I would want it more or less flat while curving a bit around the thigh - if you know what I mean. Reason is for any printing to not look like a gun. I also like the tab to come up to midway alongside the trigger guard. I want a positive middle finger push off because I will not trust the hook or stickiness of a pocket holster to keep the holster in the pocket.

Take care...

4. Mepperson

Mepperson New Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Very cool project. Do you know of other places to buy kydex and like the above questions how much heat and how did you apply it?

5. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
  6. jbabbler

jbabbler New Member

Dec 27, 2008
    First off, thanks for the feedback. Always appreciated.

To make the holster I cut a rectangle of the kydex and placed it in the oven on 350 for about 7 minutes. While it was in there I got an oven mitt and some towels ready. When I removed it from the oven I immediately laid it flat on a towel. I took the gun and laid on the kydex and folded the kydex over. It was very soft and easy to work with at this point. I picked it up in an oven mitt and began forming it to the gun. You only have about 45 seconds to really mold it before it starts to harden. I used the gas burner on the stove to reapply heat at various points that needed shaping. Once I was satisfied with the mold I took some tin-snips and rouglhy trimmed out the shape I wanted. Then I used a azor blade to dial it in a bit. Once the basic shape was formed I took my dremel tool with a medium stone and did the finish work.

After it was complete I needed to work on the retention a bit. At the gun was difficult to remove so I heated up the "binding" of the holster (bend on top) and opened it up a little. After tweeking it some it was ready to finish off with some emery cloth.  Now it snaps in and out with "confidence".

I made sure the mag release was protected so that I couldn't hit it in my pocket leaning over something. The trigger as guarded as well. I have another idea I'm working on for a larger gun like the PF9 w/clip.

BillK: Thanks for the input. The cool thing is you can trim it out how you like once the basic mold is made. The "gun shaped" protrusions are necessary for retention, however but you could have the thigh side have the detail work and make the air side flat just as easy. You couls bring the hook up further and make it wider at the base to match your pocket size as well.

7. MTakas

MTakas New Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Looks Good.  I've made a few kydex holsters myself and with everything there's more than one way to skin a cat.  I cut out the basic shape of the holster using a piece of paper wrapped around the gun.  Then I scribe that out on the kydex and cut it out with some room to play.  
    I usually use a heat gun but have even used a propane torch to touch up individual areas.
    I heat a line through the middle of the kydex and fold it like a book around the slide.  Then I heat one side and press it into the contours of the gun with a towel.  Then I flip it and do the reverse side.
    Then I make belt loops or whatever else goes with it. And trim out the shape and smooth the edges.

I even made a kydex press based on one I saw for sale on-line but it was disappointingly ineffective at getting a tight mold to the shape of the gun and I've gone back to working it by hand with a towel.

8. gbarber010

gbarber010 New Member

Jun 21, 2005
    Prattville, AL
    I have purchased a few kydex holsters from Stellarrigs.com. A very well made holster. It is cheaper to make at home, but if you don't want to do that, Stellarrigs is a good choice.

9. hondakilla98

hondakilla98 New Member

Mar 1, 2011
    So when you molded it around the mag release. is there a bump over and behind the mag release in the holster? So that when you draw the pistol, it doesn't push on the mag release?

10. orangehole

orangehole Member

Oct 19, 2007
    It looks so easy to make kydex holsters and I want to try to make them but somehow i think I would fail miserably. How do you cut the kydex. I dont have a saw or sander. I just bought a kydex holster for my Glock and I love it. The $60 i just spent on it could probably buy me a few sheets of kydex, a heat gun, rivets and screws plus more.

11. OnTop

OnTop New Member

Feb 26, 2011
    Nice diy job. I gotta learn how to make a few kydex holsters to save a few bucks for other accessories.

OT

12. tigwelder

tigwelder Member

Oct 17, 2010
    Walterboro, SC
    Anyone interested in making a kydex holster should do a "search" on this forum. There are a lot of posts with a lot of information to be found. One of the posts is  www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1282009292/30 . Here are two pictures of my first attempt to make a kydex holster. It works great and it is what I've been carrying in my right front pocket since I made it. Not the best pictures I've ever taken but I think it gets the idea across. I found the aluminum screws at a local hardware store and they are called "Binding barrels with screws" or "Chicago screws". Get ideas from other holsters and then do your own thing. Have FUN!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. jbabbler

jbabbler New Member

Dec 27, 2008
    The holster blocks the mag release button and never touches it.

I also have a pocket holster that I attach a length of Paracord to and attach that to my belt. When the gun is in my pocket it's secured. When I draw the paracord pulls the holster off of the gun when it reaches it's end.

[​IMG]

14. jbabbler

jbabbler New Member

Dec 27, 2008
    A simple Kydex holster needs only the kydex, gun and an oven.

15. vvldb14

vvldb14 New Member

Feb 17, 2011
    Love all of the custom holsters! Makes me need to stop being lazy and make one for testing!

16. karkeij

karkeij New Member

Jun 27, 2009