finger extension failure

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Mike_OD, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Mike_OD

Mike_OD New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    I tried a KT finger extension (P3AT-309 grip extension) for the first time today and after shooting three magazines, the extension just fell away from the mag as I went to reload -  the plastic grooves on the extension had broken off.  Fortunately the spring didn't go flying off and I happened to have another grip extension that I purchased for a second magazine.  I installed it and shot four more magazines before quitting for the day.  I looked at the second grip extension and saw that a crack had formed along the outside of one of the plastic grooves.  Obviously it was on its way to failing like the first one.

Anyone have a similar problem?  I did a search and found that people have had problems with mag dropping during shooting when it has an extension, but I didn't see any reports about the extensions actually breaking.

Other than this, the gun has been trouble free since purchase, with probably about 400 rounds through it.

2. Represent316

Represent316 New Member

Nov 24, 2010
    This is the pinky hook, and not the +1 correct? From the photos the sides do look thin, and from what ive read they put pressure on the magazine catch when carried which could cause the magazine to drop. not what id want in a SD situation.

Ive had the +1 on my 6 round magazine for 4 months now, Sitting on it daily and never had a magazine drop, Nor a malfunction. Still serves the same purpose, but adds a round, and is still easily concealable.

3. Mike_OD

Mike_OD New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    Yes, it is the pinky extension. No problems with magazine drop while shooting.

4. Sangueffusor

Sangueffusor New Member

May 13, 2007
    Indiana
    I'm pretty sure Scherer makes these. I'm also pretty sure Kel-Tec would send you some new ones if you sent them back to them.

5. RAT76

RAT76 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Oklahoma
    Call KT Service & tell them your extensions broke. They will have new ones in the mail the same day. Won't need to send the broke ones in.

6. Mike_OD

Mike_OD New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    Thanks much for the replies -- I'll give KT a call. If anyone else has a grip extension installed, you might want to look and see if you have any cracks developing near the grooves.

7. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Yep, KT does not make them. Normally they work and hold up fine. Must have been a bad batch.

8. Fat_Rat

Fat_Rat New Member

Dec 3, 2010
    Same problem here.  Mine failed on the second time used.  The second one looks ok but I am going to change both out with the original bottom plate.  Unfortuntely I did not buy them from keltec so I probably will not get any free replacements.  I probably would be leary of using them anyway.  That could turn into a dangerous situation. >:(

9. Benjamoid

Benjamoid New Member

Jan 20, 2011
    When were the bad ones ordered? ordered mine from kt like 2 weeks ago, no cracks that I can see but I havent shot it with the extender yet. Just wondering if I may have gotten one from the bad batch...

10. Mike_OD

Mike_OD New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    I ordered them just before Thanksgiving, but didn't have a chance to try them out until just recently.  Yours may look fine now, but be sure to check after shooting two or three mags to see if any cracks develop along the grooves.

11. Benjamoid

Benjamoid New Member

Jan 20, 2011
    I definately will! Hopefully since I ordered mine in mid janurary it is from a different batch and not messed up...