finger bang

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by gotktog, Oct 13, 2008.

1. gotktog

gotktog New Member

Oct 18, 2007
    :eek:

Thinking I need a pocket ccw, my p11 is too big.

Shot the P3AT at the range, and in addition to kick and poor aimability it beat the hell out of my trigger finger. Based on that experience I am thinking of going with the P32 (which is not available to rent).

I figure if I got the P3AT, I could get a grip, extension and trigger stop and eventually practice enough to be able to hit what I am trying to ...

.. but I'm seriously not going to be able to practice with it if it bites my trigger finger like this.

I've seen a couple posts about this problem(specifically, trigger finger beat up - overall recoil not a problem), but it seems to only be a problem for some people ..

My question is, is there anyone who has had this problem but was able to overcome it (in a way that didn't involve trading the P3AT for something milder)

2. Rubb

Rubb New Member

Jun 19, 2006
    Hold back the trigger after firing a little longer.

3. torrent

torrent New Member

Dec 18, 2006
    ;D Now that's a way to get a guy's attention! ;D
    I had no idea where this thread was going but I just HAD to check it out ;D That was awesome!

4. doubloon

doubloon New Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Houston-ish, TX
    I haven't noticed a lot of overtravel in my P3AT but I've only shot it enough to get confidence that it will function when required.

Pay attention to the overtravel, if any, in your trigger. Besides gaining accuracy a trigger stop can help with the pain in the tip of your finger. ... JMO, YMMV, FWIW

5. c0wboi38

c0wboi38 New Member

Sep 19, 2006
    I'm with Torrent.

I now have a cheesy South Park song stuck in my head...

I don't have those problems with my P3AT. Sorry..

6. tommy51s

tommy51s New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Kansas City
    Wear a bandaid to pad your finger, and use a grip extension to give you two fingers to control the kick. It'll feel totally somewhat different.

7. tommyray

tommyray New Member

Sep 2, 2008
    I use the +1 extension, and it does help with the grip, as well as giving yoy a 7 round magazine. Have not experienced any trigger finger problems with it

8. voigts

voigts New Member

Sep 30, 2008
    I have the grip extension on mine and fired it for the first time last weekend. I didn't have any problem with it beating up my trigger finger, and with the extension, the accuracy was very good. I think i am going to go ahead and order the +1 mag extension to see how that feels along with a better slip on grip.

9. YooperP3at

YooperP3at New Member

Oct 12, 2008
    I read it somewhere here before.....this gun is a selfdefense gun....not a gun for plinking at the range.
    It's made small, which might not be as comfortable to shoot as a larger gun, but it's in your pocket if you would ever need it.

I bought it so i would always have it with me....i have other guns for plinking and target practice.

10. GotKtog......

Do you have large hands?

If so- you may want to consider trimming the trigger a bit.  I had the "finger bang" until I trimmed the bottom of the trigger.  What was happening was flesh was getting pinched between the bottom of the trigger and the trigger guard.

The trigger can be cut with a dremel or even a pair of shears, then sanded smooth. While sanding off the rough edges of the trimmed trigger, sand the rough spots from the inside of the trigger guard.

The Grey Gripped Chrome looking is a Stock trigger, the Black Gripped Blued has been trimmed:

[​IMG]

Close up of trimmed trigger:

[​IMG]

The trimmed trigger helps alot for folks with big hands:

[​IMG]

11. Mike

Mike New Member

May 21, 2005
    Took my new P3 to the range today and had the same problem until I tried inserting my finger further into the trigger guard. This also improved my accuracy. This is completely different than my P11 which seems better with the middle of the finger tip. I still plan to trim or sand just a little.

Mike

12. gotktog

gotktog New Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Hm. I wouldn't say I have big hands. Long fingers, but not very meaty. I actually tried gripping the pistol with my second knuckle, but I didn't shoot it that way, cause I thought, "Na, you're not supposed to do that, dummy" I guess I'll head back to the range, pop a grip and a trigger stop on the rental and see how it does. I noticed they had keltec accessories behind the counter, maybe I can talk them into loaning me a +1 mag.
    Point taken about the "defense" pistol, but based on my first 50 rounds, I wouldn't trust myself to hit someone with it unless it was by beating them with it. Only way to fix that, I would think, is by practicing with it.

13. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    [ame]http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/152175/[/ame]

14. BamaShooter

BamaShooter New Member

Mar 5, 2007
    It took me around 500 rounds to get used to the P-3AT. I used to get my finger beat up a lot too. I don't much anymore and I am deadly with it. And if you have to use it, you won't be thinking about if it will hurt your finger.

Accuracy
    [​IMG]

15. norton

norton New Member

Jan 25, 2008
    Try a piece of surgical tubing on the trigger. Shove it on and mark it, cut it about a 1/4 " longer. That should prevent your flesh from rolling under the trigger. You maybe able to do the same thing with shrink tube but I haven't tried that yet.
    Norton

16. gotktog

gotktog New Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Tried it again with the trigger stop and hogue. Didn't have the extension or the tubing. Still got beat up when triggering with the tip, but if hooking the trigger between first and second knuckles it didnt bite.

I'm still lost as far as aiming. Some of the shots group where I want em to, some of them group where I don't want them to, and some of them seem to have missed the paper. Thing is, it doesn't seem to be related to any changes I can detect on my part. I can change grip or stance, or focus hard on sighting or just pointing, but any way I do it, some hit and some miss. Should probably hire an instructor to check out what I am doing or not doing.

I'm sure it is correctable though, as I noticed I was shooting my P11 much better now that I've had it out a couple times.

I shot my new ruger mkIII before and after the 3AT. I think if I had closed my eyes during the after session I wouldn't have known whether or not it had fired.

17. torrent

torrent New Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Try holding the trigger back a little longer after each shot next time and that may help. After shooting the P3AT that lil' Ruger was probably pretty soft :D

18. Rubb

Rubb New Member

Jun 19, 2006
    Yep, She Bangs
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbkJT-htZDY[/ame]