Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a slightly used p3at at the gun shop last week. I finally had a chance to take it to the range today. No misfires. Smooth shooting. Now I feel comfortable carrying.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Who are these people that bash Kel-Tec products so often? I bought my p3at about five years ago. I then started reading all the negative reviews that said, " all Kel-Tec products suck!" I've had mine in my Nemesis pocket holster on my hip continuously since I purchased it and have worried that I was carrying a piece of crap that I couldn't trust. But, let me say this. It hasn't been cleaned like it should have been and I carried it for six months straight while working in the yard getting it soaked with sweat, dirt, dust, and pocket lent. When I go to the range I pull it out and rapid fire all the rounds, then drop the empty mag and replace it with a full and it goes bang six more times without a failure to eject, feed, or fire! What a great little pistol!

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Who are these people that bash Kel-Tec products so often? I bought my p3at about five years ago. I then started reading all the negative reviews that said, " all Kel-Tec products suck!" I've had mine in my Nemesis pocket holster on my hip continuously since I purchased it and have worried that I was carrying a piece of crap that I couldn't trust. But, let me say this. It hasn't been cleaned like it should have been and I carried it for six months straight while working in the yard getting it soaked with sweat, dirt, dust, and pocket lent. When I go to the range I pull it out and rapid fire all the rounds, then drop the empty mag and replace it with a full and it goes bang six more times without a failure to eject, feed, or fire! What a great little pistol!
This. They work. Mine had an extractor issue at around 600 rounds. It was quickly and easily corrected, and has been flawless through thousands of rounds since.

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
Generally I find the people that bash KT have never owned or shot one. They do have problems sometimes, more often with new designs but they are always improving. Their customer service is good too. I think it's because some people think a sub $500 fun just can't be any good.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I definitely agree CJP32! I spoke with a close friend who said that he purchased two Ruger LCP's and both gave him trouble. He sold them then switched to Kel-Tec P3AT and has never experienced any problems. By the way, he has purchased four, I think that speaks volumes in the real world. How about you?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Mine has not been that trouble free.
It began with a kinked hammer spring which didn't generate enough force to detonate a primer, at all...
In that case, KelTec was nice enough to send a new spring and hammer.
It shot pretty well after that, but the external extractor spring loosened and of course led to some jamming. A call to KelTec, hoping for a new spring and screw, was refused with a suggestion to send the pistol in on my dime.
If I have to spend that much, I might as well save my pennies for a new LCP.
Currently, I have the ejector screw tightend down as much as possible and red loctited.
Last time I shot it, the p3at functioned.
But, I don't really trust it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I can definitely understand your frustration in this situation. When your life is on the line it is not a good time for failures of any kind. I guess the point I'm trying to stress is, it's not fail proof because it has Colt, Ruger, Smith & Wesson stamped on it and it's not junk because it's Kel-Tec.
With that in mind. What are some opinions of Hi-Point? I fired the 9mm and was not impressed, but I've heard the larger caliber .40 and .45 are very sturdy and reliable.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I can definitely understand your frustration in this situation. When your life is on the line it is not a good time for failures of any kind. I guess the point I'm trying to stress is, it's not fail proof because it has Colt, Ruger, Smith & Wesson stamped on it and it's not junk because it's Kel-Tec.
With that in mind. What are some opinions of Hi-Point? I fired the 9mm and was not impressed, but I've heard the larger caliber .40 and .45 are very sturdy and reliable.

Check out iraqveteran8888 on YouTube. He tried virtually everything he could to get one to fail. The thing kept on shooting. He finally got it to fail, but there was a barrel full of gunpowder involved, IIRC.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
Mine has not been that trouble free.
It began with a kinked hammer spring which didn't generate enough force to detonate a primer, at all..................Last time I shot it, the p3at functioned.
But, I don't really trust it.
Interesting problem. I have never seen a "kinked" hammer spring on a P3AT. I wish you would post a picture of it, if you still have it. I'm trying to picture just how it was "kinked".

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
I definitely agree CJP32! I spoke with a close friend who said that he purchased two Ruger LCP's and both gave him trouble. He sold them then switched to Kel-Tec P3AT and has never experienced any problems. By the way, he has purchased four, I think that speaks volumes in the real world. How about you?
I have a P32, P3at, two PF9s, a KSG and I want a RDB and maybe a PMR30 or PLR16 or SU16. You could say I like their guns.

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
Hi-Points are ugly, heavy, and cheaply made but they WORK pretty much 100%. They have a good trigger. Mine is a 45 ... what didn't work on the 9mm? Ive shot a 9 and it seemed just as good as the 45.

·
Registered
16 Posts
It seemed to jam quite a bit. (Failure to eject) I don't think it was limp wresting cause it jammed up on three different shooters. It could have been the ammo, I don't know (Blazer Brass 115 gr. round nose)

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
It seemed to jam quite a bit. (Failure to eject) I don't think it was limp wresting cause it jammed up on three different shooters. It could have been the ammo, I don't know (Blazer Brass 115 gr. round nose)
My two local HP dealers say that they have fewer problems with them than any other brand at any price. They also have the best warranty. If you return anything serious to them, they just send you a new one.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.