Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
9,377 Posts
Bert said:
for Unique, Alliant suggested  start  2.3 grs     max  3 grs (basically same as Lyman #49 for 95 grain FMJ) (and tried by me, 5 rounds each)
Alliant has never listed a start and max load in any of thier publications that I have seen.

In the 2002 Reloaders Guide, they list a 95 grain FMJ Unique load as 4.2 grains MAX.
You have to figure your own Starting load from that by reducing it 10%.
That start load would be 3.7 grains.

Lyman #49 is much lower at 2.3 Start - 3.1 MAX with a Sierra FMJ bullet.

rc

·
Banned
2,968 Posts
An email, to Alliant Tech support, works wonders. ;)

If you PM your email addy, I will be glad to forward their response.

With regards to data...NO Sh!t. That is why I checked with them. And in this case, they were closer to Lyman specs (which is what I said...)

Bert

rcmodel said:
[quote author=Bert link=1282674676/15#19 date=1282930584]for Unique, Alliant suggested  start  2.3 grs     max  3 grs (basically same as Lyman #49 for 95 grain FMJ) (and tried by me, 5 rounds each)
Alliant has never listed a start and max load in any of thier publications that I have seen.

In the 2002 Reloaders Guide, they list a 95 grain FMJ Unique load as 4.2 grains MAX.
You have to figure your own Starting load from that by reducing it 10%.
That start load would be 3.7 grains.

Lyman #49 is much lower at 2.3 Start - 3.1 MAX with a Sierra FMJ bullet.

rc
[/quote]

·
Registered
441 Posts
Bert said:
OK,

I tried the 95gr PMC Starfire JHP's from http://store.brassmanbrass.com/servlet/-strse-225/380--dsh--95-Gr./Detail

for Unique, Alliant suggested  start  2.3 grs     max  3 grs (basically same as Lyman #49 for 95 grain FMJ) (and tried by me, 5 rounds each)

Both cycle the P3AT just fine.  The higher load has noticably more recoil, and about 12' ejection. Neither had expansion in gallon of water or 1" phonebook (although I would not want to be hit by them).

95gr 380 Starfire JHP (nominal .3555" dia)
Federal 100 Primers, 2.3  & 3.0 grains Unique
COAL .9650"
light crimp (Lee Factory)

B.
I initially found a published load in one of my books that specified 4.0 Grains of Unique for the maximum load for a 100 grain bullet.  I made 10 of these and went to the range to try them.  I ran the first 5 and recoil was very brisk.  Brisk enough that I switched over to shooting a 9MM and upon my arrival at home, I pulled down the remaining 5 and went to 2.5 grains and began working up to the load I use now which is 2.9 grains Unique with a 100 grain Berry's plated bullet.

I tried this same load in a friend's Kahr P380 and found that around half the time it wouldn't eject so I had to do it manually. The other half it ejected fine. At all times though, it was accurate in the Kahr.

It was also nice that the Kahr doesn't slam your trigger finger like the P3AT does.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
You are correct about emailing Alliant.
Before I loaded the first case I emailed Alliant and asked for their load opinions and got a prompt response. They gave me starting and max loads for 90, 95 and 100 grain bullets using 4 different Alliant powders.
Their max loads on most of the powders were a lot lower than most of the ones listed in a few of the older reloading manuals that I have.  

·
Banned
2,968 Posts
I think I saw where you mentioned asking Alliant about FMJ's which prompted me to send them the the link on the PMC JHP's.  Like you, I got a fast response, and also with multiple weights / powders.

B.

houser52 said:
You are correct about emailing Alliant.
Before I loaded the first case I emailed Alliant and asked for their load opinions and got a prompt response. They gave me starting and max loads for 90, 95 and 100 grain bullets using 4 different Alliant powders.
Their max loads on most of the powders were a lot lower than most of the ones listed in a few of the older reloading manuals that I have.  

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Very nice.  :) That'll last you several range sessions.

I haven't got to devote a lot of time to reloading this week, hopefully get to load some this weekend. At present I've been messing around with W231 and 100 gr. Berrys. I have some cast Missouri 95 gr. RN on order and should be here soon.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Hi,

I've been using up an old container of AA Nitro 100 which dhad plenty of loading data in the 90's for pistol. Its like Red Dot in that it fills the case and prevents a double charge. I use 2.7 grains and a 100 grain plated/jacket bullet with Winchester small pistol primer. The load cycles PPK's and P-32's fine.

Best Regards.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts