Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After contemplating it off and on for a few years I finally broke down and purchased a NIB HC P3AT. I found it locally for $279. This didn't seem like a bad price.

It seems like a very nice pocket pistol and I'm looking forward to taking it to the range. Question though for those of you with a factory HC unit. How is the finish on the outside of the slide of your HC P3? Mine seems kind of rough in the sense that I guess it seems inconsistent in places. It’s almost like it's thinner in some areas. Though it might be tooling or machining marks underneath the finish...

Does this sound normal?

Thank you! :)

G

·
apw.cogan does all of kt hc plating and from talking to cogan many months ago, he told me that he does no prep work to the kt slides. He HC finish them as they arrive to him, so whatever prep work is done kt does it. . It might look like crap but it is a durable finish no less, OIknow that is not what you are wanting to hear.
A blued 380 at gander mt in my area is $269, so u got as hc at a very good price IMO.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Of the three HC Kel-Tec pistols I have, none of them have a terribly consistent finish.

As Jocko mentioned, the finish is very durable, and I have had no issues with it on any of my pistols.

Just clean, lube and shoot, over and over and over and over......

·
Banned
7,638 Posts
Welcome to KTOG, Sven! Congrats on finding a chrome one.

Are you happy with your finish? Are there actuall discolorations or noticeable flaws? KT only guarantees the finish for two weeks, so it's speak up now or forever hold your piece. pun intended.

If you need a new slide, call KT service IMMEDIATELY: 1-800-515-9983.

Packer.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Sven_Hoek said:
Question though for those of you with a factory HC unit. How is the finish on the outside of the slide of your HC P3? Mine seems kind of rough in the sense that I guess it seems inconsistent in places. It’s almost like it's thinner in some areas. Though it might be tooling or machining marks underneath the finish...
Like many things in this old world, older is often better. My best looking hard chrome finishes are on my oldest Kel-Tecs. It is more reflective and the finish on these 7 & 8 years pistols is in better shape that most of my hard chrome Kel-Tec pistols only a few years old. The last half-dozen hard chrome P-3ATs I acquired were attractive but not show pieces. Yes, the tool marks do stand out more on hard chrome than black..

Wilson – who’s wondering if he should ship his next plain Jane P-3AT to Accurate Plating to have something for comparison :-/

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
After looking at it again, it's definitely tool marks on the slide and not an inconsistent HC finish. It's certainly not something that should have any effect on the functioning of the pistol.

Maybe some day I'll just have Ceraguard applied to it. ;D

Thank you all very much for your assistance!

Sven

·
Registered
81 Posts
Mine sounds just like yours. It was $279 also.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.