Finally have something worthy to post v.nights

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Thunderbear, Nov 16, 2007.

1. Thunderbear

Thunderbear New Member

Feb 2, 2007
    Hahaha! Night sights on a P3AT? No wai!

Here's what some elbow grease, a creative idea and some Rustoleum'll get you:

[​IMG]

Now, the backstory.

Bought this watch, on a whim, for a cheap tritium watch:

[​IMG]

The first one I got the face cracked, sent it back and got a second one. After a month, the tritium at 9:00 fell off after the second hand fell off, and was rolling around the housing. I dissected it and peeled another tritium bar off, and set them aside.

I sanded the **** out of the slide, wire wheel, brush, and blew it out with compressed air. Windexed everything, then aired it out. Rustoleum textured outdoor paint in black. Let it dry, sanded the contact areas under the extractor and the breech face, blew it out with compressed air.

Went upstairs, made dinner, and came back down with some tweezers to line up the tritium bars.

The existing "sights" provide a perfect sheltered location for the tritium vials.

I filled the rear sight area with epoxy, then pushed the vial level, just beneath the sight cut. Smoothed the epoxy, and let it set. Fit the front vial in a drop of epoxy, working it around to get it perfectly centered and level. A bit more work than I thought it'd be... then I daubed some more epoxy over the vial, to protect it a bit.

Finished product:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I now have Green/Green 2 bar night sights :D

2. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Good Job! And great idea with the watch.

-Scott

PS - post anytime, your posts don't have to be worthy, the rest of ours aren't :)

3. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    I'll second that...great job and thanks for the ideal

hope that watch wasn't too expensive ;D

4. torrent

torrent Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Heck of an idea!

5. princemorr2003

princemorr2003 New Member

Mar 3, 2005
    awsome now just have to borrow some ones watch. Do you think someone would notice if i took the tritium bars out of their watch and carfully replaced the front of the watch back on?

;DDan

6. Bobo

Bobo Active Member Supporter

Jun 13, 2005
    Wow! Great idea! Thanks for sharing. :D

7. Thunderbear

Thunderbear New Member

Feb 2, 2007
    Glad you guys liked the idea.

Unfortunately the watch in question has nearly doubled in price, so there isn't much point in buying one for the project.

You can, however pick up tritium vials from the candlepower guys, such as one linked here:

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=137473

Lots of colors, lots of sizes for you to choose from. I think Wilson has a blue P3AT somewhere, doesn't he? Ice Blue tritium nights would be pretty sweet. :D