Finally got the P3AT back

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by learfxr, Apr 5, 2008.

1. learfxr

learfxr New Member

Dec 21, 2007
    I got it back after around 9 weeks. I had my doubts about it, but it shot better so far. I shot as much as I could in one trip, maybe 150-200rds. My hand was killing me and wore a blister on the back of my trigger finger knuckle from hitting the trigger guard. Basically all they did was polish the feed ramp and blame my magazine since I didn't send them one. I have 3 factory KT mags, so that was not an issue. I did some work on the fluff & buff, but evidently not enough. I had one jam, but I'll take the blame on that one. I was trying to see what they call sights and wasn't paying attention to my grip. I used 2 mags with extensions and 1 stock. I shot it slow and rapid. I did multiple reloads to try and get it nice and warm. I shot Winchester, so I figured it was nice and dirty. Glad it worked much better now. I was ready to throw in the towel, but I'll keep it around if it keeps performing. I prefer to have my Glock on my hip, but this will serve it's job when needed

2. KS.G36

KS.G36 Guest

Glad to hear it learfxr. Now if they'll just return me a new slide and springs with my barrel and guide rod, I'll get to try to regain some confidence in mine.

Guys at the range have kidded me quite a bit about the P3AT .. it popped the spring out in front of several regulars out there. . I told them it will be back and they can shoot it like promised.

Also said if it peens out or has some other malfunction any time soon, this time I'll just pitch it in the lake.

3. keninaz

keninaz New Member

Feb 21, 2008
    Great to hear an update on service. I don't like hearing 9 weeks but what can you do.
    Mine has been there about 5 1/2 weeks now for 15% failure to extract the spent cartridge from the barrel.
    Bought two, both were the same but one broke in just fine.

4. torrent

torrent New Member

Dec 18, 2006
    What did you have done to it at the factory? What kind of problems were you having before you sent it back in? Glad it's shooting better now and I wouldn't worry about any future problems.

5. learfxr

learfxr New Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Mine was jamming every trip to the range. Usually 3 times within 50rds. I tried various things to cure it and then called KT. They said send it in, so I did. I was told 5 weeks at first, then they said 1-2 more weeks, then it finally arrived after about 9 weeks. It seems that a good polish job on the feed ramp has it working better. I did some work on it, but not enough I guess. Got my fingers crossed that it keeps working well. I was pretty ticked not having it for so long

6. torrent

torrent New Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Did you give it a F&B? What kinds of ammo did you try? Was it new when you experienced these problems? I'm just trying to get a feel for the situation here.

7. gatorhugger

gatorhugger Banned

Jan 19, 2008
    nothing worse than getting a jam every 50 shots. You have confidence and are happy, and then it's like back to square one.
    Just a suggestion, but have you considered a different lube? Like a moly antiseize if you are just doing lithium grease and oil? That antiseize stuff is wonderful and makes the slide go back so much faster.
    Just a thought.

8. c0wboi38

c0wboi38 New Member

Sep 19, 2006
    Hey G36

Don't do that. I'll give you $100 for it. Regardless of what condition it's in. For real.

9. learfxr

learfxr New Member

Dec 21, 2007
    I've used Hoppes gun grease and gun oil. I held off on the grease lately and just used plenty of oil. I normally like to use grease on the slides and will prob do it again.

I bought mine in Oct and after several trip to the range I read about the F&B here. I used 600 grit wet/dry paper on it. Evidently I should have polished the ramp more, like with a dremel and compound.

10. learfxr

learfxr New Member

Dec 21, 2007
    I tried 4 different ammo brands I think. The latest trip was with Winchester from WalMart, I figured if anything jammed that stuff would. I carried it a couple days so far in my pocket, it was nice to not have to worry about a shirt to cover my holster. I still like having my Glock on me when I can