finally got p3at back from kel tec

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Wlfman40, Dec 19, 2009.

1. Wlfman40

Wlfman40 New Member

Oct 1, 2009
    Well after having my gun sitting at keltec for 8wks I gave them a call weds afternoon....they hadn't even looked at it yet....and was told the 6-8wk time I was originally told would be more of 10-12wks due to winter closure....long story short it was repaired and returned before I got off of work thurs. I went to the range this morning....flawless now...so very happy...it took every round I threw at it one handed and two handed. :)

2. David_S

David_S New Member

Dec 7, 2009
    Glad to here it's performing like it should be. What was the problem with it? I've not had any experience with Kel-Tec CS but most of what I have read has been very positive. I wonder if someone just drop the ball on your gun and it got pushed aside. Probably a good thing you called.

3. kt4me

kt4me New Member

Feb 9, 2006
    When my gun was back at Kel-Tec I found they seemed to respond to a little "pleasant push" but DO NOT respond well to demanding and whining (garnered from experience of an idiot freind, I was nice the whole time).

I think their CS is great but they do operate like a nice small shop so making sure you are not forgotten may be a good thing.

4. torrent

torrent New Member

Dec 18, 2006
    What problems were you having? In the future post about it on here and some of us may be able to help you out.

5. Wlfman40

Wlfman40 New Member

Oct 1, 2009
    I don't know what to say about kel tec cs since it wasnt a cs rep I ended up dealing with. In the end it was partly my fault since what they listed as a repair was polishing the feed ramp. I didn't do it first because I didn't have the tools or confidence in doing it, and partly out of being stubborn feeling it should work out of the box. I still don't understand if this is such an issue why doesn't kel tec just do it from the start

6. c0wboi38

c0wboi38 New Member

Sep 19, 2006
    It's not really that big of an issue....Firing lots of rounds does the same as a polish job. I own 6 KT's and none had any issues...

The key is to keep them cleaned and lubed, and to not fire any JHP until a thorough break in of a few hundred FMJ has been reached. Some folks try and shoot them right out of the box, no lubing. Others go with JHP right away....

As to why it isn't done at the factory? That would add both time to production, and increase the costs.

7. torrent

torrent New Member

Dec 18, 2006
    On top of what Lurker said, some guns don't need to be polished and run just fine out of the box. You have to remember that the P3AT is a finicky little gun in that most are somewhat ammo sensitive. After all it is a 9mm short packed into something that could easily be a .22lr. Try cleaning and lubing after every 50 rounds or so and the gun should run fine all day long.