Finally found one (P3At used, but new to me)

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Cubriver_Kid, Aug 25, 2008.

1. Cubriver_Kid

Cubriver_Kid New Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Well Guys,

I went to my dealer today, and a few other local dealers, still couldn't find any P3AT's, there were LCP's for $299.00, they looked nice, but I resisted. I was a little bummed, but I knew I still had my PF9, so I could probably wait this thing out. Well this afternoon, as I was busy working, one of my fellow workers asked me if I still wanted to buy his P3AT. I jumped on it, he has put about 25 rounds trough it. Still looks brand new, ser # jbXXX, one extra mag. cardboard box, storage bag and original receipt, got it for $250.00. I know thats not great deal but considering the lack of Kel Tek's around here, I thought it was fair. I'm going to take it apart and work it over tonight. Guess all try to make it to Wal-Mart tomorrow. I will give a report on it soon.

Wont be long now!!
    CK

2. Bo_Bryant

Bo_Bryant New Member

Jun 7, 2008
    I picked up mine this past Friday. I have taken it apart, cleaned and gave it a lube job. I hope to make it to the range one evening this week to see how she shoots. I too went to Wally World and picked up a box of 100 95 grain .380. I hope we both have good things to report.

Happy shooting to you.

Bo Bryant

3. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    The extra mag is worth $22 plus $6+ shipping if ordered from KT. That brings the price down to under $230 for what is basically a new gun. That's a good deal. :cool:

4. Cubriver_Kid

Cubriver_Kid New Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Well, I just took it apart, there were no notable wear marks, looked like the slide and frame had only been hand slid a few times. I took care of that look with a small file and some steel wool. Cleaned, polished, lubed and ready to go.

I NEED SOME AMMO!!!

Thanks TxC, glad to know you think the deal was good.

CK

5. Cubriver_Kid

Cubriver_Kid New Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Bo, Wal-Mart was out of 380 ammo here, but I picked up some Federal American Eagle 95 gr fmg at sportsman's warehouse. I then picked up the dog after work, took him for a run ( he was running not me) and shot the new jewel 25 times. My first impressions are, no failures of any kind, fun gun to shoot, and like the pf9, more accurate then expected. I will try to give it a full workout this weekend, and a full report soon.

good shooting to you, I think you will like it, I do

CK

6. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    No reason to shed any tears at all over that price. You did good. Looking forward to the range report.

-Scott

7. jp8900

jp8900 New Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Hope you like yours as much as mine... Im ready to get back to the range...

8. revlar

revlar New Member

Jul 12, 2008
    I guess this is as good a time and place for a first post as any.

I've been lurking here for a little while - picked up a PF9 last month and came here for info about it. I wasn't disappointed in either the pistol or this forum.

A friend told me to get a P3AT to go along with it but I really wasn't ready to retire the Seecamp.
    And then I walked into the local Cabela's this past Thursday and spotted a supposedly used one for $175.00. Considering the new P3AT they had was priced at $290 that just seemed too good to be true. I looked it over, saw no blue wear or signs of abuse and bought it on the spot.

After looking it over more closely at home - I don't see any signs of use - at all. I don't understand why it was so cheap. Maybe it's a result of the gun snobbery that seems to continue to undervalue KelTecs. All I know is the PF9 took a 200 round range test - out of the box - with no malfunctions. In my eyes - reliability like that is the only meaningful indication of the "value" of any defensive firearm.

Obviously I'm pleased with the price of this P3AT. If it performs as well as the PF9 did I'll be thrilled - to say the least.

9. Cubriver_Kid

Cubriver_Kid New Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Revlar, and the rest of you,

I took it out for a good test today, but I need to shoot it more, you can see the pictures of the targets on the link below

http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1220131162

CK

10. CCWMan

CCWMan New Member

Aug 5, 2005
    Cub_river Kid,
    Welcome to the forum.

You did OK on the price for a "like new" gun.

11. westernamerican

westernamerican New Member

Jun 22, 2008
    I think you got a heck of a buy for $250.00....................I would go that route anytime if I did not alreay have one! :)

12. tommyray

tommyray New Member

Sep 2, 2008
    I actually had not considered a .380 until last week when I walked into a gun shop and remarked that they didn't have much in the way of conceal weapons. The old guy behind the counter reached in his front pocket and pulled out a Ruger LCP, removed the clip, and handed me the gun. WOW! Exactly the profile I have been looking for. Then he told me the news that they were backordered potentially for months. When I got home for the weekend, I went online and found that the LCP was basically a P3AT clone with a couple of modifcations. I checked out the local shops and got lots of laughter when I asked if they had any LCP's. Then I stepped into a pawn shop on Sunday, and was blown away when I saw what looked like a new LCP. Upon closer inspection, I saw that it was a P3AT in like new condition. It had a price tag marked at $159.00. I checked it thoroughly, and it IS like brand new, with no wear marks of any kind. This store has been known to price guns low occasionally, but I had no idea what these went for new, much less used. I offered him $135, and he said the lowest he would go is $150.00. Told him I would think about it. Went home, where I looked further into the Kel Tec, and saw that a lot of people swear by them as a conceal weapon. Saw that they were selling used for more than $200 in that condition, and decided to go back first thing Monday and buy it. Went back and the store was closed for Labor Day. (the other shops were all open.) I kicked myself hard for not buying it on Sunday, as I work 250 miles away from home, (one reason I carry) and I would not be home until next weekend, and it probably be long gone by then. . This Morning I called them 5 minutes before they opened, and offered to buy it over the phone. Was informed that they can't take plastic over the phone. I lucked out though...found out that a musician I have played with in the past, now manages the store. He not only agreed to hold the gun for me until I can get in Sat, but will sell it to me for $140. He said a guy bought it new, kept it in a drawer for several months, pawned it when he needed a few bucks, and never picked it up. SCORE! I AM REALLY EXCITED to finally have gun that I can truly conceal. My small .22 is still to bulky for summer dress. I will take it to the range this weekend, and familiarize myself with it.
    Now I have a new .22 that I picked up for carry, but will now sell. Will keep my 9mm to carry on long motorcycle trips, camping etc. I can't wait to begin to carry this lil bad boy. Now I need a good carry holster for it. Any ideas??? Thanks

13. H_MaN

H_MaN New Member

Nov 2, 2004
    Some fine deals in here...