Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally found a nice one on Gunbroker (actually, there are lots of them). But I won the auction for this particular one!

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=282328356

The little buggers are pretty high priced for what they are, selling for more now than when they were new. I've been following them on Gunbroker for weeks and unfortunately they are routinely selling for this price - above Blue Book. Oh well, I really wanted one so I bought it anyway. They're pretty neat because these are takedown rifles as well (tool-less). That will probably make it a breeze to clean. Here's a picture of the taken down rifle, from the Taurus website (mines a Rossi, same gun, but without the funky safety on top). http://www.taurususa.com/images/imagesMain/M62C.jpg Mine has the longer 23" barrel as shown in the insert picture. I already have lots of short carbine length rifles, so I thought I'd be different and get something longer this time.

Can't wait for it to arrive!

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Nice! A pump or lever-action .22 LR is always a hoot to shoot. Almost like shooting a Daisy BB gun, brings back the good ol' childhood days ... except a .22 makes a lot more of a bang. Well, unless you're shooting CB .22 shorts... :D

Congrats on the score!

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
That is sweet. I'd sure like to have one also. I like that the grip on the gun doesn't change when you rack a pump gun. I've held, but never fired a pump .22. Congrats on a nice get.

Lop

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Those are some nice rifles. I had one nickle one in .22 LR and a couple of blue ones in .22 mag some years back. Wish I had kept at least one. They were cheap back then, but not now.

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
Those are some nice rifles. I had one nickle one in .22 LR and a couple of blue ones in .22 mag some years back. Wish I had kept at least one. They were cheap back then, but not now.
Yep, I had one of the short models and let a friend talk me out of it... wish I'd held onto that one.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Yep, I had one of the short models and let a friend talk me out of it... wish I'd held onto that one.
I have seen the gallery models, but never had one. The nickle gun I had fired all three .22s. It was used. Should have kept that one. Same thing happened to me on mine. Friend talked me out of it. Had FFL back then and I could get them for like 99 bucks + shipping, not now. Got 2 new ones for the local Chief LEO.

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
Good gun. Son had the carbine model ,dad had the original Winchester 62A ... I loved that one.
Did ya get a chance to check out the Winchester at the gunshop ? I should have picked that one up . . .

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
That's a nifty lookin' gun. I just wonder why the break-down is designed like that. Is there a specific reason as in the lower is interchangeable or something?

·
Fido for short
5,409 Posts
Way to go man, great looking rifle , that thing in picture looks new.

I bet its a lot of fun to shoot, and cheap too.

Nice pick there.

Jim

·
Registered
7,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Did ya get a chance to check out the Winchester at the gunshop ? I should have picked that one up . . .
No, I didn't. I should have. But I was too lazy to drive over there and inspect it (assuming it was still there - I didn't call them to find out either). I placed my bid on this Rossi that I won that same evening after we shot at Silver Bullet. Your and Bryan's recollection that you liked the model 62's you had in the past was enough to get me over the hump and bid. But I should have gone and looked at that actual Winchester too. I just didn't.

·
Registered
7,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice pick there.
I needed a pump to round out my .22LR rifle collection. Now I have semi-auto (five actually, if you include the ones owned by my wife and kids), bolt, lever, single-shot, ... and now a pump. Even though I've got several semi-auto .22 rifles, what I don't have is an "assault .22". I hate that term - as if you're gonna go charging into a fight with a .22! But anyway, I think someday in the future I might pick up a S&W M&P15-22 as my ".22 black rifle". I should probably beef up my .22 handgun collection too. It's rather puny. Only a Ruger Mark II and a Heritage Rough Rider. My wife wants a .22 handgun, so we should have at least one more added to the collection in the near future. She just can't decide what on her Wish List she wants first: a .22 handgun, an AR15, the soon-to-be-released Springfield XD/S, or her .44mag handgun. Decisions, decisions...

·
Registered
7,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
...and this pump action .22 also counts towards my "Cowboy Collection" and towards my "Zombieland Collection"! http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Zombieland

I'm all into filling out "collections" these days (it helps me come up with a justification, however pitiful, to buy more guns!)

·
Fido for short
5,409 Posts

·
Registered
7,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Dave, Have you seen that tactical .22 "assault" rifle Mossberg just came out with recently?
I have not seen one in person. From what I understand, this is Mossbergs standard "Plinkster" semi-auto rifle wearing new clothes so that it looks similar to an AR. We have two Mossberg Plinksters. They are just fine for what they are - inexpensive guns. They run about $125. They are a direct competitor to the Marlin 795. A Plinkster is a good deal for $125. I'm not sure I'd pay $269 for the tactical version of one though. I'd have to see it in person first.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I bought a Rossi shortly after they came out, but with the octagon barrel, very nice light, handy, accurate. What more could you ask for. Though I wish I had treated it better,was my truck gun at one point. It fit so nicely in the front of the seat cover.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
My mom was taught to shoot by her step-grandfather using a Remington (she thinks) pump action .22 LR. Apparently she was such a good shot, even at a young age (this was before she had to wear glasses, etc.) that her step-grandfather got a kick out of having her embarrass the neighborhood boys - even those who were older than her - by having her out shoot them. She has a story about a time when her grandmother forgot to get her step-grandfather to kill a rooster for dinner before he left to go somewhere. Mom volunteered to kill it and my great-grandmother, despite her doubts, decided to let her try. Mom said that she took that pump .22, stepped out the door (my great-grandmother lived rurally, on Lookout Mountain, and her chickens ran loose in her back yard) and shot the rooster right in the eye - in one eye and out the other, in fact - and dropped it instantly.

Mom loved that old pump rifle and wanted it for years. After her grandmother and step-grandfather died, her father (my grandfather) being the total a-hole that he is apparently sold or traded the Remington to someone else rather than giving it to her or even letting her buy it. She has seen similar rifles at the LGS but the Remingtons and the Winchesters are a bit more pricey than she wanted to pay. One day they had a Norinco pump .22 and it went home with her. It is a lot of fun to shoot but I think I'm going to have to order a new inner mag tube assembly or (if I can't get the entire assembly) at least a new mag spring and replace it for her. Currently, the last round in the tube mag doesn't always feed/load so it will appear that the gun is 'empty' while there is actually a round left in the mag - a round that eventually will load if the pump is operated through a few cycles.

As for the 'tactical' .22s, I honestly don't have any strong desire for a real AR, etc. but for some reason I am kind of drawn to their .22LR 'little brothers'. I wouldn't mind having a high-cap, 'tactical' style .22 LR. It would mostly be a fun rifle but I imagine it could do some fairly 'serious' work, in a pinch, if stuffed full of Velocitors or similar ammo.

I'd also not mind having a 10-22 with the kit that turns it into an M1 Carbine clone.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Dang it. Now you have me watching about 5 auctions for pump .22s. I forgot that picking up one was on the to do list.

·
Registered
7,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
The new rifle just arrived today! It is a beauty. The seller wasn't kidding - I think this thing is brand new and unfired. I'd take a picture, but my cellphone doesn't take good ones and my other camera was stolen. Maybe when it's daylight my cellphone camera will do better, but here at night, with the flash, thumbs down. We'll see what daylight tomorrow brings.

I can tell I'm really going to like this rifle! The action if very smooth. The pump action is lightening quick. I hope it will shoot well. We'll find that out the end of next week when I have a range trip planned.

This rifle feels solid. I had forgotten how good a solid steel .22 with wood stocks feels. It takes down and reassembles so easily. There's a thumb screw - a few twists of that and the rifle is in two pieces. It will be very easy to clean taken apart like this. It goes back together just as easily. The sights are basic, as you'd expect on most any .22 these days. Dovetailed front and rear. I have a tang sight for it that I will mount shortly. It came with sling swivel studs mounted front and rear, so that's a nice plus.

I'll try to follow up with a shooting report once I get a chance to shoot it.

p.s. - I always thought of Rossi's as lower end guns. But my experience with their .45colt lever gun I got a while back and this new pump .22 tell me different. They are very well made and well finished rifles. Good quality and pretty wood. Solid. Oh yeah, and my Rossi single shot .22/.410 is nice too. Inexpensive plastic stocks on that one, but for a cost of $69 on sale, I'm not complaining.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts