Final questions before buying

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by JSlaug, Nov 25, 2007.

1. JSlaug

JSlaug New Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I currently have 2 SIG's (239 & 220) and a Colt Python, and recently decided to purchase a P3-AT to add to my collection...I then found this forum to due some much needed research. There is a lot of good information here but I am now down to trying to decide what finish to choose. Basic black for the frame is fine but what finish seems to work the best on these, and/or what would any of you suggest. Any thoughts will be helpful.

Also, what is the typical round count for one to last? I know it won't be a frequently used gut at the range...but thought I'd ask. Thanks.

2. jocko

jocko Guest

if u can find a hc model for sale buy it, less maintenance, they even seem to function better.  I won't give an opinion on round count, . Just shoot it like u stole it, with good ammo, well lubed and it will serve u well. Sold alot of Colt Pytons in my 40 years of gun business. My favorite was their 6" blue model. Oh what a beautiful handgun, finsih fit for a king, action fit for the queen, super accurate and yes expensive back in those days. Hold on that that peace for sure..

3. Rubb

Rubb New Member

Jun 19, 2006
    Welcome JSlaug,

In terms of rust resistance the parkerized is better than blue and
    hard chrome better than parked.
    You can get the blued, break it in and have it refinished too.
    If you search you'll find plenty of info on refinishing.

I wasn't after looks so I got a parkerized and have
    had no issues with the finish at all.
    Lots of pocket time and humid weather, no saltwater.

4. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    I believe KT pegs the life expectancy at 6000 rounds. While this is not a range or target pistol meant to be shot a great deal, 6000 rounds should last a while. After a couple of hundred rounds for breakin and then carry-ammo testing, I would only shoot a couple of mags periodically for function testing and to stay in practice. Of course the lifetime warranty negates any such round count limitation anyway.

5. JSlaug

JSlaug New Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Thank you for the quick replies. I live just outside of Dallas and they seem to be running in the $280 neighborhood for the blue with the Parkerized being about $10 more. I have not seen a HC model yet,,,what do they typically run?

6. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    $280 seems a bit high for blued by TX standards. Look around; make some calls. Try a gunshow. You should be able to find hard chrome for that price or less in the Lone Star State. If nothing else, give CDNN out of Abilene a call. They usually price blued ones at around $230.