Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone filed their plastic front sight to a point?

I'd like a slightly more precise sight picture, would love if somebody who had done this could post some pics!

·
Super Moderator
17,763 Posts
Yes, but it's been a long time since they posted the pic. You might do a search of the Sub2K forum for *front sight* and see what comes up.

Or you could look up wynnstudio's ad in the Trading Post. He sells them pre-narrowed for about $5 a pop, in 2 different colors.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That looks veeeery interesting.

I'd have to be very confident in my ability to replace the front sight blade though, which I haven no idea how to do.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Replacing front sight is easy. Almost as easy as breaking it by over-tightening. ;)

Mark the "height" of your front sight post. Tape on the front sight will do. Remove the front sight by loosening/removing ONLY ONE SIDE of the front sight "clamps". Leaving the other alone will keep your windage adjustment intact.

Put in the new sight post. Replace the one side "clamp" and tighten loosely. Adjust height of the post to where the old one was. Tighten down to where the old one was, and you should be real close to having your new front sight post where you want it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Yes, do mark it before removing. I did not think that thru and now have to sight in again after swapping out for a green wynnstudio.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Thanks DaveSpud, you just saved me some trouble as well. I just received a new sight from wynnstudio and probably wouldn't have thought to mark for height if I hadn't read your post.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, 10 minutes with a file ended up doing the trick. Front sight now comes to a nice point instead of a blocky rectangle.

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
Half the fun here is doing it yourself and being satisfied with the end product. Let us know how it shoots PA.

·
Registered
30 Posts
As part of the laborious process of sighting in my Sub2K, I carved my front sight down around 1/4 inch, and also rounded it off but not quite to a point. I am thinking of drilling out the rear peep sight to a larger diameter, too, to try to acquire a sight picture faster. Any thoughts on that?

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
A lot of AR rear sights are multi-sized nowadays, I just got a pair of flip-up front and rears, and the rear sight has two different diameter ghost rings, plus a top notch for those who prefer that type of sight. Whoa, run-on sentence.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
As part of the laborious process of sighting in my Sub2K, I carved my front sight down around 1/4 inch, and also rounded it off but not quite to a point. I am thinking of drilling out the rear peep sight to a larger diameter, too, to try to acquire a sight picture faster. Any thoughts on that?
move your head up closer to the rear peep, when i look through mine i can see the whole front sight ring that protects the sight.
use the rear peep and line it up with that front ring then put the sight blade on target, thats the way i was taught for bow sights and it works well for the subbie.;)

·
Registered
25 Posts
I drilled mine out to 9/64th's and it does make it easier for me to pickup the front sight. With that said, I'm using the Red Lion front sight and I use a Ultra Dot Pan-A-V red dot sight 90% of the time and the other sights are just for backup.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thanks for the info and suggestions. I'm a minimalist (and miserly), so I will try opening up the rear sight aperture and see how that works out. If I don't like it, I will explore the flip-up AR rear sight option. If I learn anything useful, I will pass it on.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts