Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New P3AT owner here. I just bought two of these 2nd gens (J serials) and was wondering, What is the best way to take the pin out to field strip these pistols? What tool do you guys use?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
I use a small flat tip screwdriver, some wrap some black tape behind the blade to avoid marking the finish.

Just make sure you push in on the area on either side of the pin to avoid having the spring that holds the pin in place from popping out of the grip.

If you move the barrel rearward a little bit it makes the pin easier to remove.

Yes you have enough hands to do it all at the same time. ;D

Welcome to KTOG !

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
Thumb and middle fingernails while slightly retracting the slide with the other hand or barrel pushed into leg. Unload the gun first. ;D

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
That would be rule 1:
1. ALWAYS keep the gun pointed in a safe direction.

TxCajun said:
 Unload the gun first. ;D
2. ALWAYS keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot.

Now how are you going to disassemble a Glock?
The trigger must be pulled to do so. ???

·
Banned
7,638 Posts
  Go to Loews or Home Depot's plumbing dept. Buy a 1/2 inch cpvc plastic union. (It will be yellowish and cost about 70 cents)

1. Place your union on the table, facing up. Remove magazine and unload chamber.
2. Turn your P3AT upside down and rack back the slide.
3. Lower the open breech over the union.
4. Slowly release the slide.
5. The slide is now locked open.
6 Lay the gun on its side on a folded towel.
7. Use a cartridge to pry out the pin while you press down on each side of it.
8. Turn gun upside down
9. Pull back slide and allow union to fall out.
10. Guide slide forward and off the frame.

Packer.

·
Registered
449 Posts
TxCajun said:
That would be rule 1:
1. ALWAYS keep the gun pointed in a safe direction.

2. ALWAYS keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot.

Now how are you going to disassemble a Glock?
The trigger must be pulled to do so. ???
Some would say this is a good reason not to own a Glock.

I was using this enumerations of the rules.

1. Treat all firearms as if they are loaded.
2. Never point a firearm at anything you are not willing to kill or destroy.
3. Keep your finger off the trigger and outside of the trigger-guard until your sights are on the target and your are ready to fire.
4. Know your target, what the firearm and ammunition can do, what's between you and your target, and what is beyond.

Guess it depends what the source is.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting
Oh, well. :-/

·
Banned
7,638 Posts
With the slide back, all pressure is off the pin, so it is easier to pull out without bulging the grip. Plus, with the slide back, the sculptured front allows the rim to get at more of the pin head.

By not having to manually hold the slide back with your third hand, you easily have enough fingers to press on each side of the pin to prevent grip bulging.

It sounds a lot more complicated than it actually is.

Packer.

·
Registered
702 Posts
If you notice a "bulge" after removing the pin and disassembling.......you have allowed the "retainer spring" (Which actually looks like an ole coter pin) to be come dislodged. If you have the patients...you can move it back into place with a paper clip or some flat tool. This can be done without further disassembly.

·
Banned
4,317 Posts
I'm a "righty", in more ways than one. ;) Here's what I do. After removing the magazine and double checking that the pistol's chamber is empty, I hold my P-3AT in my left hand, muzzle pointing to the left. Then I pinch the grip just below the assembly pin between my thumb and middle finger while pressing my ring finger and pinkie against the right side of the grip to stabilize the pistol in my hand. Then I use my index finger to press the barrel slightly backward while with my right hand I use my free Kel-Tec screwdriver to pop out the assembly pin. Reassembly is by the same procedure except that you must make sure that the cut-out in the barrel lug aligns with the hole in the grip/frame, and of course the screwdriver is not needed. If you're a "lefty" it's a bit more awkward as the assembly pin will be facing away from you. Hold the pistol in your right hand and either point the pistol 45 degrees forward and to the right and use the screwdriver "back-handed" or point the unloaded gun up at your chest or neck if that doesn't bother you. Then pop out the assembly pin using a screwdriver held in your left hand.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Be sure to pinch the grip below or to the side of the assembly pin like PShootr said, as that will keep you from pulling the retainier pin out and lodging it between the frame and grip. Some of these come with a special notice in the box alerting you to that......

·
Banned
7,638 Posts
peaceful99 said:
Some would say this is a good reason not to own a Glock.

I was using this enumerations of the rules.

1. Treat all firearms as if they are (always) loaded.
  2. Never point a firearm at anything you are not willing to kill or destroy.
  3. Keep your finger off the trigger and outside of the trigger-guard until your sights are on the target and your are ready to fire.
  4. Know your target, what the firearm and ammunition can do, what's between you and your target, and what is beyond.

Guess it depends what the source is.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting
Oh, well. :-/
  I'm with YOU, Al! Jeff Cooper's four simple Gunsite rules are good enough for me! They are much clearer and easier to remember than the NRA 10 commandments.

Packer.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Two Pistol Packer said:
1. Place your union on the table, facing up. Remove magazine and unload chamber.
2. Turn your P3AT upside down and rack back the slide.
3. Lower the open breech over the union.
4. Slowly release the slide.
5. The slide is now locked open.
With Kel-Tec making the head of the assembly pin smaller and smaller, it recesses so deep in the grip, I’m having to retract second-generation P-3AT slides to where the slide is milled thinner. To keep my slide open on these particular P-3ATs I use a big white eraser. The one I use is called Hi-Polymer Eraser made by Pentel and was originally about 3 ½ “ by 1” by ½ “ but I trimmed it a bit. I stand it on end, turn the pistol upside down as you do, them let the open slide swallow the eraser.

Wilson – who’s not a Pentel spokes person but would accept any commission checks they would send ;D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.