Field strip issue

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Frederick, May 16, 2010.

1. Frederick

Frederick New Member

May 9, 2010
    Is there a way to remove the slide without marking it? I noticed each time I place the round to wedge out the bolt that is slightly marks the slide

2. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    That brass mark should come right off.  An easy way to removed the assembly pin is use a very small screwdriver with some tape wrapped around it on the round part just before the flat blade begins.  This provides a padded fulcrum to lever out the pin.

The idea is to take pressure off the assembly pin by locking the slide back. Oh, that’s right the P-3AT doesn’t have a slide lock. Some folks rack the slide back and insert a block of wood, hard rubber or plastic to keep the slide back. If pulled back far enough it also gives more room to insert your assembly pin extraction tool.  I personally don’t bother pulling the slide back as I have a very thin APE tool.

I hold my fingers on either side of the assembly pin while I depress the small screwdriver, which is wrapped with electrician’s tape. The tape not only protects the slide but also acts as a fulcrum to slowly remove the pin. With the newer small-head P-3AT assembly pins, I use an even thinner screwdriver.

Wilson – who’s feeling all tingly getting to use that fulcrum word again ;D
    [/quote]
    [​IMG]

3. Frederick

Frederick New Member

May 9, 2010
    Thats a fantastic answer thanks. How would the brass marks come off? I used oil and rag still there.

4. Agent-Adam

Agent-Adam New Member

May 19, 2010
    I use a little Hoppes #9 Benchrest editon bore cleaner. It high in ammonia and considered a copper solvent. Brass is mostly copper with some zinc. I apply some with a qtip and let sit then wipe it off with nylon brush or rag.

5. james__12345

james__12345 New Member

Dec 7, 2009
    I put a piece of paper between the round and the pin. It seems to prevent the marking for me.

6. kbizzle

kbizzle New Member

Oct 21, 2008
    i like using a large plastic drywall anchor that looks like the image below.  works well and definitely doesn't mar up the slide.

[​IMG]

7. haugrdr

haugrdr Super Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Jan 4, 2008
    Daytona Beach

Who cares if ya mark it up a bit?

It's a carry weapon, prone to banging into all kinds of things, not a safe queen.

Just another point of view. ;) :D

8. fltection

fltection New Member

Apr 25, 2010
    This is a great idea and one that I am going to steal! I have been using a clean patch wrapped around spent .380 brass...saw it in a youtube video somewhere...

9. diamond

diamond New Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Anything plastic would really help you.

I place a small piece of paper between the slide and my screw driver. But plastic is much better for prying like the dry wall anchor shown above. A great idea!

10. goodbrewing

goodbrewing Active Member

Oct 2, 2008

It's a carry weapon, prone to banging into all kinds of things, not a safe queen.

Just another point of view.    ;)   :D[/quote]
    +1
    No one will ever see it in your pocket.
    I pull the slide back to line up th pin with the thinner part of the slide and it gives me a bigger space to slip the case lip under to pry the pin out.

11. kbizzle

kbizzle New Member

Oct 21, 2008
    ha!  yeah, believe me, i've thought about that too.  i know it's just an inexpensive pocket carry gun but... i still hate scratching up my firearms.  that's why i looked all around my shop for plastic tools to use and found that the right drywall anchor works really well for me.  to each his/her own  ;)

Just another point of view.    ;)   :D[/quote]
    +1
    No one will ever see it in your pocket.
    I pull the slide back to line up th pin with the thinner part of the slide and it gives me a bigger space to slip the case lip under to pry the pin out.[/quote]

12. fltection

fltection New Member

Apr 25, 2010
    yup  ;)

13. diamond

diamond New Member

Jan 18, 2010
    As far as scratching up my firearms intentionally or semi-carelessly, I guess I've always been one to figure the better I take care of them, the better they will take care of me.

14. JR37

JR37 Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2009
    Jonesboro, Arkansas

+1

life is short, be happy

15. NCDmax

NCDmax New Member

May 17, 2010
    Agree! :)