Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a way to remove the slide without marking it? I noticed each time I place the round to wedge out the bolt that is slightly marks the slide

·
Administrator
32,088 Posts
That brass mark should come right off.  An easy way to removed the assembly pin is use a very small screwdriver with some tape wrapped around it on the round part just before the flat blade begins.  This provides a padded fulcrum to lever out the pin.

Wilson said:
[quote author=Kwesi  link=1157061992/0#0 date=1157061992]Can anyone explain "push the barrel back".
The idea is to take pressure off the assembly pin by locking the slide back. Oh, that’s right the P-3AT doesn’t have a slide lock. Some folks rack the slide back and insert a block of wood, hard rubber or plastic to keep the slide back. If pulled back far enough it also gives more room to insert your assembly pin extraction tool.  I personally don’t bother pulling the slide back as I have a very thin APE tool.

I hold my fingers on either side of the assembly pin while I depress the small screwdriver, which is wrapped with electrician’s tape. The tape not only protects the slide but also acts as a fulcrum to slowly remove the pin. With the newer small-head P-3AT assembly pins, I use an even thinner screwdriver.

Wilson – who’s feeling all tingly getting to use that fulcrum word again ;D
[/quote]

·
Registered
43 Posts
I use a little Hoppes #9 Benchrest editon bore cleaner. It high in ammonia and considered a copper solvent. Brass is mostly copper with some zinc. I apply some with a qtip and let sit then wipe it off with nylon brush or rag.

·
Registered
87 Posts
i like using a large plastic drywall anchor that looks like the image below.  works well and definitely doesn't mar up the slide.

·
Premium Member
15,000 Posts
Frederick said:
Is there a way to remove the slide without marking  it? I noticed each time I place the round to wedge out the  bolt that is slightly marks the slide

Who cares if ya mark it up a bit?

It's a carry weapon, prone to banging into all kinds of things, not a safe queen.

Just another point of view. ;) :D

·
Registered
23 Posts
This is a great idea and one that I am going to steal! I have been using a clean patch wrapped around spent .380 brass...saw it in a youtube video somewhere...

kbizzle said:
i like using a large plastic drywall anchor that looks like the image below.  works well and definitely doesn't mar up the slide.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Anything plastic would really help you.

I place a small piece of paper between the slide and my screw driver. But plastic is much better for prying like the dry wall anchor shown above. A great idea!

·
Registered
944 Posts
haugrdr said:
[quote author=Frederick link=1274031646/0#0 date=1274031646]Is there a way to remove the slide without marking  it? I noticed each time I place the round to wedge out the  bolt that is slightly marks the slide

It's a carry weapon, prone to banging into all kinds of things, not a safe queen.

Just another point of view.    ;)   :D[/quote]
+1
No one will ever see it in your pocket.
I pull the slide back to line up th pin with the thinner part of the slide and it gives me a bigger space to slip the case lip under to pry the pin out.

·
Registered
87 Posts
ha!  yeah, believe me, i've thought about that too.  i know it's just an inexpensive pocket carry gun but... i still hate scratching up my firearms.  that's why i looked all around my shop for plastic tools to use and found that the right drywall anchor works really well for me.  to each his/her own  ;)

goodbrewing said:
[quote author=haugrdr link=1274031646/0#6 date=1274580770][quote author=Frederick link=1274031646/0#0 date=1274031646]Is there a way to remove the slide without marking  it? I noticed each time I place the round to wedge out the  bolt that is slightly marks the slide

Just another point of view.    ;)   :D[/quote]
+1
No one will ever see it in your pocket.
I pull the slide back to line up th pin with the thinner part of the slide and it gives me a bigger space to slip the case lip under to pry the pin out.[/quote]

·
Registered
623 Posts
As far as scratching up my firearms intentionally or semi-carelessly, I guess I've always been one to figure the better I take care of them, the better they will take care of me.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
diamond said:
As far as scratching up my firearms intentionally or semi-carelessly, I guess I've always been one to figure the better I take care of them, the better they will take care of me.

+1

life is short, be happy

·
Registered
13 Posts
diamond said:
Agree! :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts