Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dropped by mt LCS (eastern Pennsylvania) the other day with the intent to pick up a second PF-9. Much to my surprise, I found that the store was now half the size it recently used to be and that they no longer sold firearms or ammo. When I expressed my disappointment, the owner suggested I go to budsgunshop.com and have the gun shipped to him (he's still an FFL), as he could no longer compete with the Internet.

My question - is the $45 fee he quoted reasonable? Let's assume this covers all fees.

I'll be looking at for other LGSs as buying online, to me, leaves much to be desired, especially with used guns. Makes gun shows more attractive as well.

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
$13.00 of his fee is for the Feds to do the NICS check. That makes his actual fee some $32.00 to handle the paperwork in receiving and transferring . Here in Wisconsin, fees I have been quoted range from a low of $15.00 to a high of around $40.00 (not including the NICS charge) , depending on the FFL, so your LGS is a bit toward the high side, but not outside the expected range.

Jim R

·
Registered
35 Posts
My local FFL charges $25. I've used impactguns.com.

I'd rather not shop handguns online but can be less expensive than most LGS.

·
Registered
102 Posts
My LGS does it for $25. I've never paid more than $35.

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
The price for a a FFL transfer fee basically depends on your local market. Most FFL in the Lafayette, La area charge around $50-75. I found an FFL located about 10 miles outside of town that charges $35 for transfers. I don't mind the extra mileage as he is located about a mile from my mother's house. After I picked up my PF-9 last week I visited my folks for a bit.

·
Registered
233 Posts
$25 down here near Tampa...I seen a few places cheaper...just got to shop around. If you buy online you can pick a place that is cheap to get it delivered to.

·
Registered
74 Posts
$13.00 of his fee is for the Feds to do the NICS check. That makes his actual fee some $32.00 to handle the paperwork in receiving and transferring . Here in Wisconsin, fees I have been quoted range from a low of $15.00 to a high of around $40.00 (not including the NICS charge) , depending on the FFL, so your LGS is a bit toward the high side, but not outside the expected range.

Jim R
My LGS charges nothing for firearm transfers. I suppose that if he spent too much time processing transfers, he might (justifiably) charge for the service. In Wisconsin, the STATE charges a $13 fee for the "background check" required for handgun purchases. Long gun purchases require the Federal NICS for which there is no charge.
I suspect that the LGSs that charge fees are doing so to "penalize" those that don't buy directly from them. I for one, would find a different guy to transfer thru. Sleeper

1 - 11 of 11 Posts